Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

7 hours ago, grodney said:

Jeremy Lin is gone (to the Nets).  Keeping that dream alive of being a star starter.  I think he should have been content having the most fun of his career being a backup in Charlotte.  But whatever.

I don't think anyone would be content losing out on tens of millions of dollars...

I love Lin but expected he would leave for a starting job in a city with a large Chinese population...that seemed really important to him.  Happy for him.

Slightly bummed about Al, who says he'll retire here because he loves the city so much.  

Both great guys apparently...

34 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Looks like the Hornets didn't want to be left out of the overpaying action. Gave Marvin 4 years/$54.5 mil

Marvin had other, higher paying options out there. He could have gotten $16-18M per year but wanted to stay in Charlotte by taking less. I don't think people realize just how versatile he is. One of the better 3 point shooting and rebound combos in the league. They got a bargain in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HopHead said:

Marvin had other, higher paying options out there. He could have gotten $16-18M per year but wanted to stay in Charlotte by taking less. I don't think people realize just how versatile he is. One of the better 3 point shooting and rebound combos in the league. They got a bargain in the grand scheme of things.

It's only a bargain because EVERYONE is overpaying lol. This free agency has been bonkers. 

4 hours ago, HopHead said:

Some suggested reading on how the NBA got here. And it will be worse next year: http://cbsprt.co/29kMJQI

Oh it's going to be absolutely other worldly next year. Going to be nuts. Luckily outside Cleveland, Boston and Indy (possibly Miami) the east is still garbage so Charlotte has a good shot of making the playoffs back to back years. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Time Warner Cable Arena set to be re-branded to Spectrum Center before the Hornets' season opener this fall following Charter's purchase of TWC. Not to be confused with Philly's old Spectrum arena which was later renamed after Charlotte-based First Union and Wachovia :) 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article96036407.html

Edited by HopHead

12 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Time Warner Cable Arena set to be re-branded to Spectrum Center before the Hornets' season opener this fall following Charter's purchase of TWC. Not to be confused with Philly's old Spectrum arena which was later renamed after Charlotte-based First Union and Wachovia :) 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article96036407.html

Spectrum Center sounds really cool. I'm down.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2016 at 6:17 PM, guttersnipe said:

With the Time Warner Cable Brand now being phased out by Charter, what do you think the arena's name will become? Charter's cable products are under their "Spectrum" banner.  Spectrum Arena has a ring to it or perhaps Charter Center

I was close. I like the name as it is no longer a mouthful to say.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Unveiling of the fancy shmancy new scoreboard is September 5th! I'm going to be in town for it!!!! Can't wait to see in person. 

Super excited to see it as well!  The organization has been pretty quiet on the progress of it too.  I know Charlotte 49ers are getting a pretty cool new video board and they periodically post pics and stuff of the progress.  So definitely will be a wow factor seeing the Hornets new video board in person for the first time!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last night was a prime example of everything MKG can do. It's just frustrating that he's had a few bad injuries the last couple years because he's come such a long way. Hope he can stay healthy because he can guard the game's top players as well as anyone. He always plays LeBron well. And yes, Hibbert played well. Fantastic rim protector that looked like the guy from those great Pacers teams a few years ago.