Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

13 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

82-0....?:tw_grimace:

As much as I'd LOVE to see the hornets do well (this city needs a winner), I am hoping you guys grab the 8 seed so I can watch a playoff game here OR win in such a way we meet in the later rounds (this option 2 is more preferable). That said, they no doubt look like playoff contenders right now and it is great. The bench scoring was ridiculous last night, one of the stranger box scores I have seen. 

@Jayvee

If Hibbert turns into pre-2013 Hibbert and MKG stays healthy, this is a 50 win ballteam and very similar to the Hawks of 2 years ago or the Raptors last season (with better post play).

I could also see us winning 30 games if crap hits the fan.  It's going to be a fun season to be a Hornets fan for sure. I'm hoping for a 3 seed.

• Like 1

I had gone back to the beginning of this thread and read through several pages.  I thought it was funny that a lot of people had a problem with the name Time Warner Cable Arena.  I moved here in 2013 and that is the only name I have known for it, up until Spectrum Center.  I never thought it was a bad name.  There also seemed to be a divide on whether or not changing the name would make any difference.  Some thought it should come back to Charlotte, others didn't think it would matter and would be an insult to the Bobcats fans.  I have never been to a game, but for those that have been to a game recently, does it seem like the team is better supported by fans?  Starting 4-1 doesn't hurt either.

8 minutes ago, rickrodewd said:

does it seem like the team is better supported by fans?

No idea. But attendance* is up:

2015-2016 Hornets 17,485 (made playoffs)

2014-2015 Hornets 17,192

2013-2014 Bobcats 15,518 (made playoffs)

2012-2013 Bobcats 15,324

2011-2012 Bobcats 14,757 (strike season)

*attendance figures can be silly, in my opinion, as I'm guessing they count sold tickets whether anybody shows up or not.  I can only speculate that they have way more season tickets sold for the Hornets than they did for the Bobcats.....so that might account for the attendance figures.

p.s. I ran into Coach Cliff (and exchanged hellos!) and Marco Belinelli separately at lunch today!

16 minutes ago, grodney said:

No idea. But attendance* is up:

2015-2016 Hornets 17,485 (made playoffs)

2014-2015 Hornets 17,192

2013-2014 Bobcats 15,518 (made playoffs)

2012-2013 Bobcats 15,324

2011-2012 Bobcats 14,757 (strike season)

*attendance figures can be silly, in my opinion, as I'm guessing they count sold tickets whether anybody shows up or not.  I can only speculate that they have way more season tickets sold for the Hornets than they did for the Bobcats.....so that might account for the attendance figures.

p.s. I ran into Coach Cliff (and exchanged hellos!) and Marco Belinelli separately at lunch today!

When Jordan bought, they  averaged less than 5,000 season tickets sold, now they are up to 11,000, with a goal to reach 15,000 in the next 5 years. Through 2 games they are averaging just under 17,000 per game, one of which was a Wednesday game vs. a very inferior team. Too small of a sample size to judge. The games I've watched have been loud and seemed well attended, especially the opener.

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Ha I saw him at the South End Chipotle.  He was behind me in line as I wore my Cavs NBA Champs shirt (along with our more vocal UPers I'm from Cleveland but like both teams).  Contemplated saying something but realized my attire may not help the response I get :D 

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

10 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

But Kemba, stop. You're not a distance shooter. 

What do you mean by that?

My gut, watching the games, tells me he's a good -- and valuable -- outside shooter. 

Checking the stats:

So far this season, he's making 43.5% of 3's (approx 2.9/6.6 per game).  That's 12th out of 48 guards who average at least 4 attempts per game. (and 31st out of 76 across all positions)

Oh by the way, only four (4!) players in the league averaged above 43.5% last season when attempting 4+ 3's per game.  

Last season he made 37.1% of 3's (approx 2.2/6.0 per game).  That was 22nd out of 54 guards who averaged at least 4 attempts per game.

(Stats for "distance" other than 3's (i.e. long-range 2's) were not readily available to me.)

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 8:11 AM, grodney said:

We went to the game last night...the early scoring was CRAZY.  But even crazier is the new scoreboard.  Wow.

Man you aren't kidding on the scoreboard. This will be a big boost for folks in the upper deck. I typically get crapty upper deck high row seats due to it being a large group outing and it would be hard to see the court or the scoreboard.  That will no longer be a problem!!  While I had nice corporate box seats yesterday, I will no longer dread the "Row S" in the upper deck like I did before.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Attendance. They are averaging over 17,100 per game so far. That's actually pretty good for this team considering most people don't start tuning in until til December/January. I also noticed that Hornets were recently added to a few ESPN and TNT prime time games in the next few months, starting with Wednesday at home against the Spurs. Good to see people are paying attention. This is indeed a fun team to watch. 

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

They are definitely looking good this season, which has been refreshing.  it's a real shame the Allstar game got pulled from charlotte bc I think if kemba keeps it up, this may be his first appearance and it would have been a hell of a time here in clt.  But we need to protect home court and win home games (we have a better road record). Looking forward to the rest of the season and I will be there tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

^I was at the game last night. When OKC retook the lead in the 4th, you could just feel the whole arena thinking "here we go again" with another late game fold. But the Hornets fought back and beat a quality Thunder team. Westbrook had his moments (anyone see the ghost foul called on MKG when he missed that dunk? Ridiculous) but he didn't break their backs or have a Triple-Double against the Hornets -- one of only a handful of teams he's never done that against. Just need to start seeing more of those wins now that we're in January. One thing that has been very apparent this year, and to piggy back off what grodney mentioned, is that they have done a much better job at drawing fouls on 3-point attempts. There were at least 3, maybe 4 of those. A team like Golden State does that very well.. Guess it comes with improved 3 point shooting :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

^I was at the game last night. When OKC retook the lead in the 4th, you could just feel the whole arena thinking "here we go again" with another late game fold. But the Hornets fought back and beat a quality Thunder team. Westbrook had his moments (anyone see the ghost foul called on MKG when he missed that dunk? Ridiculous) but he didn't break their backs or have a Triple-Double against the Hornets -- one of only a handful of teams he's never done that against. Just need to start seeing more of those wins now that we're in January. One thing that has been very apparent this year, and to piggy back off what grodney mentioned, is that they have done a much better job at drawing fouls on 3-point attempts. There were at least 3, maybe 4 of those. A team like Golden State does that very well.. Guess it comes with improved 3 point shooting :)

Wow that's incredible.  I figured it would be the same story as it has been with all the other top teams in the league this year...close but no cigar.  I am glad to see they won this one.

If they just had one of the league's superstars on the roster (cough...Steph Curry...cough) I think they could seriously become one of the elite teams.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

Wow that's incredible.  I figured it would be the same story as it has been with all the other top teams in the league this year...close but no cigar.  I am glad to see they won this one.

If they just had one of the league's superstars on the roster (cough...Steph Curry...cough) I think they could seriously become one of the elite teams.

Steph is great but (I know I'll get killed for this) I'd rather have Kemba.  He is my favorite professional athlete of all time.  He plays hard, is a terrific player, gives me a reason to watch every night, is one of the nicest guys/best teammates ever, he loves Charlotte, plays on a below market deal, etc.  I can't think of a national sports figure that I would want to represent my team/city more than Kemba.  

14 minutes ago, JBS said:

Steph is great but (I know I'll get killed for this) I'd rather have Kemba.  He is my favorite professional athlete of all time.  He plays hard, is a terrific player, gives me a reason to watch every night, is one of the nicest guys/best teammates ever, he loves Charlotte, plays on a below market deal, etc.  I can't think of a national sports figure that I would want to represent my team/city more than Kemba.  

I agree Kemba is great, and I certainly don't want to lose him.  Some of the sports punditry have suggested going after Steph in FA but keeping Kemba as a point guard and moving Steph to shooting guard.  I think a Steph-Kemba combo would be awesome.

• Like 1