Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

5 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I agree Kemba is great, and I certainly don't want to lose him.  Some of the sports punditry have suggested going after Steph in FA but keeping Kemba as a point guard and moving Steph to shooting guard.  I think a Steph-Kemba combo would be awesome.

Personally, I think Steph Curry is more of a shooting guard than point guard anyways (even though he's listed as PG). He and Kemba would have a great dynamic. You could then move Nic Batum to Small Forward which is plays a lot of anyways. That would get him out of having to the pass the ball so much. The only thing that they would have to figure out is how to play MKG. While his offensive production will never be in the same breath of the other 3, his defense is top notch.

Stephs' productivity has gone down since Kevin Durant joined Golden State. He may decide that no longer suites him and Charlotte would be at the top of his list of destinations. I still say it's a long shot, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. At the very least, Jordan and Cho will make a pitch to him. They know they can win more with someone of his caliber and it would also of course drive season ticket sales to heights they haven't seen since the heydays of the Hive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Personally, I think Steph Curry is more of a shooting guard than point guard anyways (even though he's listed as PG). He and Kemba would have a great dynamic. You could then move Nic Batum to Small Forward which is plays a lot of anyways. That would get him out of having to the pass the ball so much. The only thing that they would have to figure out is how to play MKG. While his offensive production will never be in the same breath of the other 3, his defense is top notch.

Stephs' productivity has gone down since Kevin Durant joined Golden State. He may decide that no longer suites him and Charlotte would be at the top of his list of destinations. I still say it's a long shot, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. At the very least, Jordan and Cho will make a pitch to him. They know they can win more with someone of his caliber and it would also of course drive season ticket sales to heights they haven't seen since the heydays of the Hive.

100% agree with this analysis.  

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, grodney said:

Hornets won last night to get back to .500 after that brutal (0 for) 5-game road trip (and losing 7 of their last 8).  They are now 14-1 when holding their opponent under 100 points.....which means they are 7-20 when NOT doing that.  Hmmmmmm. 

Next 4 games are all at home...Fri,Sat,Mon,Wed.

My opinion is that local radio hosts dramatically exaggerated the recent losing streak.  They played (among others) Houston, Boston and San Antonio on the road and were without Cody and Batum for a few of those.  They are a solid team that is a backup point guard and a little luck away from being a 4 seed...

They should have won at least two of those games imo.  But we did look a lot better last night.  I know it was probably a pretty big sigh of relief for the coaches, players and fans to get back in the win column.  I think we can be a 6th or better seeded team.  The East is so bunched up though.  Teams 3 through 10 are within 4/5 wins of each other.  At the midway point, we cannot go on another losing streak like we just did.  Or we will find ourselves in the 9/10th spot looking to get that 8th seed.  Toronto may very likely remain the 2nd seed and we will see how we match up against them tomorrow.  Anything but the 8th seed in my eyes though, do not want to face Cleveland in the playoffs...at least not in the first round.  Eventually we'd have to face them in the Eastern Conference finals, to advance to the championship game lol.

I'm just going to throw this out there...after Kemba led the Hornets in throttling the Raptors last night, I am convinced that a Steph-Kemba combo could be one of the great NBA power duos of our time.

Definitely could see a finals contender in Charlotte if they can pick up Steph in FA and keep Kemba as well.

Golden State was in town last night and it was a great game...A game where the Hornets were up the majority of the 3rd and the beginning of the 4th. In the end, they could not close the deal.  But today is the day that we will find out if Kemba will be 1st All Star since Gerald Wallace...wallace...wallace.  The game was nationally televised on ESPN last night and the commentators had nothing but good things to say about the city and the team.  They were also on board for Kemba becoming an All Star.  I don't know if he will or not, bc the east is stacked with great guards, but I was thinking to myself last night that it is a real shame that the game is not in charlotte anymore if he makes the all star team.  Could have been really special for the fans and city.

*The voters (fans/coaches), tend to vote in players on teams with good records.  Ours is not bad, we are at 500.  I do think Kemba deserves it, but I think they will vote in players on teams with better records. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

The Hornets traded away two bad players with cheap contracts (Roy Hibbert & Spencer Hawes) for one bad player with a terrible contract (Miles Plumlee - makes more than Kemba....).

I did some research on this move and all I can confirm is that:

1.  these three people are definitely players in the NBA

2.  according to all resources I reviewed, despite those involved, this is technically a trade

3.  the most excited I've ever been in 13 years as a Bobcats/NeoHornets fan is when they changed their name

Oh well, go Hornets.  Kill me.

• Like 3

^I'm not a huge fan of the trade either. However, from everything I know/see Hibbert was borderline worthless with his bum knee and Hawes apparently has been a cancer in the locker room (perhaps that's why his minutes have completely vanished). Hornets needed to make a change, but this isn't exactly the trade most thought they'd be looking for. They are looking for someone to be like Cody Zeller of the bench... Not sure he's the guy, but we'll see. And yes, Plumlee is way over paid. But it's also the reality with this new CBA and TV deal. Some guys are going to get way beyond what they should be making. Expect Kemba to get a much bigger contract in the next few years too. He at least has earned it by comparison.

Anybody know why the game this Sat vs the Clippers is a 5pm tip?  I don't see any national TV, nor any late-starting event at the Spectrum Center, nor any event the next day.  Neither team plays the day before or the day after.  Is there some massive event in Charlotte Saturday night that I'm not aware of?

3 minutes ago, grodney said:

Anybody know why the game this Sat vs the Clippers is a 5pm tip?  I don't see any national TV, nor any late-starting event at the Spectrum Center, nor any event the next day.  Neither team plays the day before or the day after.  Is there some massive event in Charlotte Saturday night that I'm not aware of?

No idea to be honest. I thought it was odd too. I'm actually unable to go because it's not the normal 7pm start. As a result missing out on the Kemba Walker starter figure night :(

Are the bobcats/Hornets the worst franchise in the NBA?  I'm beginning to think so.  I want to blow up this entire team, but I know what that will inevitably lead to.

Drafting Grayson Allen because Jordan "likes" him.  Or some other equally crapty draft pick.  Fugggggg.

#buzzsh*tty

Edited by ah59396

We've hit rock batum...Kemba isn't surrounded by enough fire power.  He cannot consistently rely on anyone on this current team to score 20+ a game.  Getting rid of Jeremy Lin was probably the biggest mistake. He was a player that could not only give kemba a breather, but would consistently put up points. It may be too late to salvage this season, but we need to bring in some talent, asap.  We are also missing WAY too many open shots. This is the NBA, if you're wide open, I expect you to make it.

The Hornets biggest problem is that they aren't physical in the paint. Last night was a prime example. They were out rebounded something like 51-32 and the Sixers held a huge advantage in points in the paint as well. Cody is the closest thing they have to being that guy but he can't stay healthy. In part because he spends more time taking punishment than dishing it out. Hornets don't have any real tradeable assets (Kemba is the centerpiece of this team and you can't trade Batum's contract). I'm with AH on Cho. We're in this predicament because of him. It's not like we can rely on a the draft because that's never worked in our favor. Problem is I'm not sure who you bring in to replace Cho.. 

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1