Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

• 5 months later...

Miles Bridges is looking real good, like someone who should have gone much higher in the draft.  Also love all the different lineups Borrego has been throwing out so far, which was a major flaw with Clifford.

I think the Hornets will be pretty good this year.  Outside of Boston, Toronto, and Philly the East is wide open... and this is also probably the best group of young players Charlotte has had in a long time (Bridges, Monk, Hernangomez, Graham)

Edited by Higgs Boson

1 hour ago, Higgs Boson said:

Miles Bridges is looking real good, like someone who should have gone much higher in the draft.  Also love all the different lineups Borrego has been throwing out so far, which was a major flaw with Clifford.

I think the Hornets will be pretty good this year.  Outside of Boston, Toronto, and Philly the East is wide open... and this is also probably the best group of young players Charlotte has had in a long time (Bridges, Monk, Hernangomez, Graham)

I thought I would be most excited about Monk this preseason (more playing time), however, Bridges is the real deal and I can't wait to see him during the regular season.  We haven't had a memorable high flyer like him since Gerald Wallace...plus Miles can hit the 3! 

Curious though, since we are hosting the next All-Star game and the RNC soon-after, are there any plans for additional upgrades/renovations for the arena?  

24 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

I was at the game last night in the first level of the suites. They did some nice renovations to the restaurant area on that floor. Really looks good. I was surprised there were not more renovations or tweaks to the arena for the upcoming All Star Weekend. 

We already did a lot for the first All Star Weekend that we lost because of HB2

7 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

I was at the game last night in the first level of the suites. They did some nice renovations to the restaurant area on that floor. Really looks good. I was surprised there were not more renovations or tweaks to the arena for the upcoming All Star Weekend. 

A lot of the big renovations were 1-2 years ago when the arena was prepping for our 2017 All-Star bid (that got recalled).  Those renovations included the massive jumbotron, new ribbon boards I believe, improved Wifi, possibly suite renovations (not sure on that one).  More recently, they moved the old team store from Trade to the old box office location, which is much bigger.  Also, they have implemented a beer garden in the 200 level.

I'm not sure on the quality/status of the suites if they need updating, but just from visiting other arenas, I think we could improve in our dining options within the arena, not just your normal hot dog/burgers, pretzel stands.   There's nothing too special about the concourses of Spectrum center that differentiate it from other arenas, however, I think the Sprite Zone in the 200 level is unique and has a lot of potential.  There's a lot of unused space up there (few high top tables), but I think they could turn that spot up there into something cool...maybe a sports bar or create a 200-level Club.

Hawks have done massive renovations recently, including redoing the entire lower bowl, court-side club...just a lot of things that enhance the fan experience.  Just like the NFL arms race, gotta keep up!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, the arena looks great.  I've been to a game in Brooklyn and I think the fan experience is similar to Charlotte (and I believe that is a well-regarded venue).  If they win, it will be full.  If they compete, ~17K a game.  To get out of the first round of the playoffs, they need to get the 5 or 6 seed to have a chance (more likely, they are 7 or 8 and lose in the first round).  If Bridges becomes a star and Kemba re-signs for a reasonable number, the season will be successful.  I do hope Monk progresses since passing on Donovan Mitchell cost us a superstar.

They recently just finished the renovation of their restaurant (formerly known as Front Court Club...now Flight Deck), that now includes private dining and lounge that overlooks the court.  I was unaware of this project but apparently it was the last project from the initial set of renovations approved in 2014.  With the All-Star game and RNC coming in the near future, interested to hear about future renovations.  Lower bowl concourses aren't bad, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the upper concourses needs some love.

CO: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article220298510.html

*Observations from the 1st game:

Kemba needs more help period...He dropped 41 points while 3 other starters (Batum, Williams, Zeller) only had 5 points each...unacceptable.  Lamb has worked hard and I believe we will be able to rely on him fairly consistently.  Monk is a baller (I predict he will eventually start).  Bridges had a lackluster 1st game but he is talented and will improve.  We need a true/better center (we will get manhandled every game down low vs an all-star center).  The new coach is experimental...he'll play small ball...he'll play the best player in his eyes, doesn't matter how tenured you are...best player will play.  I like that.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Tickets for the other events during NBA All-Star weekend go on sale today:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article222948540.html

With an excerpt that says "NBA All-Star at the Epicentre. The free fan destination will include player appearances, virtual reality demonstrations, art and memorabilia displays, and an NBA store."  Does anyone know if Enso is still empty?  That place is huge and would be perfect for an NBA store & entertainment place.  Right off the light rail and is on the first floor.  Kind of wish the celebrity game wasn't at the Bojangles Col, but I'm really excited for this weekend.  Tickets for the actual game are crazy high exp though :(

Kemba has been extraordinary so far this season and if things keep up, he will be representing our city and the Hornets at the All-Star game (make sure to vote).  Will be something special to witness. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not really sure where to put this but, how does Charlotte miss out on so many big concert tours? Has anyone else noticed this? We get most of the pavilion shows but a lot of the arena shows that would be at Spectrum literally skip over Charlotte. These concerts mean a lot to bars and restaurants around the arena especially in the Hornets offseason.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Love how busy the arena has been lately. Obviously had All Star Weekend, then last Friday and Saturday Hornets games, Sunday night Fleetwood Mac, Monday night Hornets game, Tuesday night WWE, then Wednesday Hornets game... still have CIAA all though no one goes to the games, then on top of all that ACC Championship. Bars and Restruats around the have to feel that extra business. 

• Like 3

On 2/12/2019 at 11:31 PM, dylansukkert said:

Not really sure where to put this but, how does Charlotte miss out on so many big concert tours? Has anyone else noticed this? We get most of the pavilion shows but a lot of the arena shows that would be at Spectrum literally skip over Charlotte. These concerts mean a lot to bars and restaurants around the arena especially in the Hornets offseason.

Which concert tours? Most artists come to Charlotte. 

^It also depends on scheduling conflicts with venues too. Eric Church is in Greensboro when the ACC Tournament is in Charlotte for example.  Plenty of big shows come through town.  The amount of money the NBA All Star Game, CIAA and ACC Tournament will have brought through town in just under a month alone would get plenty of envy from peer cities...

This Hornets organization is such a joke. We are literally the definition of mediocrity. If we make the playoffs we will get swept. If not we get a crap lottery pick in a weak draft outside of the top 5. I was at the Nets game Saturday night which had an electric crowd and tonight against the Rockets and the crowd was into again just to be let down. This city wants to root for a winner so bad, if that ever happens it’ll be special. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

This Hornets organization is such a joke. We are literally the definition of mediocrity. If we make the playoffs we will get swept. If not we get a crap lottery pick in a weak draft outside of the top 5. I was at the Nets game Saturday night which had an electric crowd and tonight against the Rockets and the crowd was into again just to be let down. This city wants to root for a winner so bad, if that ever happens it’ll be special. 

Last night was quintessential Hornets .....

- Lead by double digits at half

- Go down by double digits by the end of the 3rd

- Claw back within 2-3 points

- Lose in the final minute

• Like 2
  • Haha 1