Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

Is Davidson playing here? I won't deny I'm caught up in the hoopla that is swarming around them -- I'd LOVE to go see them play.

No. Davidson is actually playing in Detroit. I believe they play Wisconsin. The teams playing in Charlotte are: Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville and Washington State. The sweet 16 round is tomorrow night and the elight eight game is Saturday.

No. Davidson is actually playing in Detroit. I believe they play Wisconsin. The teams playing in Charlotte are: Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville and Washington State. The sweet 16 round is tomorrow night and the elight eight game is Saturday.

A friend works at Brixx downtown -- someone from Washington State called and reserved the whole restaurant and the patio for 200 - 1000 people! These events (games) are so fun for this reason, i love these random crowds and all the energy they bring.

A friend works at Brixx downtown -- someone from Washington State called and reserved the whole restaurant and the patio for 200 - 1000 people! These events (games) are so fun for this reason, i love these random crowds and all the energy they bring.

Wow. That's crazy. I guess there will be some red and not baby blue everywhere :)

I enjoy these events as well. My buddies and I definitely plan on taking the light rail into uptown tomorrow night to take in the NCAA Regionals atmosphere. Should be very exciting!

Gosh, if only these people realized how they are getting gipped! I feel sorry for them having to attend this tourney in Charlotte instead of Greensboro where they could be only a short drive from their hotel, which is only a short drive from some restaurants, which are only a short drive from some clubs and sports bars, which are only a short drive from downtown.

I can't imagine these people having to walk from their hotel to a restaurant and to the arena; all the while having to mingle with other fans from theirs and other teams. Don't even get me started on them having the option of taking the train all the way through South End and points beyond.

Oh the humanity!

Gosh, if only these people realized how they are getting gipped! I feel sorry for them having to attend this tourney in Charlotte instead of Greensboro where they could be only a short drive from their hotel, which is only a short drive from some restaurants, which are only a short drive from some clubs and sports bars, which are only a short drive from downtown.

I can't imagine these people having to walk from their hotel to a restaurant and to the arena; all the while having to mingle with other fans from theirs and other teams. Don't even get me started on them having the option of taking the train all the way through South End and points beyond.

Oh the humanity!

HAHA! I'm sure certain anti-arena people are rolling their eyes. This is a great experience for all and shows the value of a downtown arena. If only the Epicentre was open as mentioned above and the LRT was built out to University already.

Gosh, if only these people realized how they are getting gipped! I feel sorry for them having to attend this tourney in Charlotte instead of Greensboro where they could be only a short drive from their hotel, which is only a short drive from some restaurants, which are only a short drive from some clubs and sports bars, which are only a short drive from downtown....
Are you saying the Greensboro coliseum is a failure? They have after all built just 1 arena to Charlotte's 3 attempts and are still taking events away from Charlotte.

Absolutely. Any time I attend an event, especially a game or concert or convention, in an unfamiliar city the first thing I do is research whether the venue is in a walkable area. If it is, I am much more likely to book my hotel nearby, and to make plans to spend time out on the town. If it's in the suburbs, I'll more than likely check to see if I can drive back out of town the same night and make it home for a decent night's sleep. The difference is vast.

Don't think anyone here would disagree with this, but as far as society at large, or at least the demographic of those who can afford the tickets, they are not likely doing this research, or care about the drive. Regardless though, I think it would take a very hard heart to not be impressed by uptown and it's scene, and having the tourney here; perhaps in a few years the powers that be could be convinced that CLT would make a great home.

My in-laws are in town (30 mins north of Milwaukee) this week, I just informed my FIL that Davidson was in the CLT vacinity, suffice to say this game just gained importance about tenfold. The good news is that UW will not have much of a home court advantage in Detroit, I can't wait to watch it with him...

Oh the humanity!

You seem to be describing an overall event feeling as opposed to just an 'inside the venue' experience. I'm sure everyone will be disappointed that they can do so much in such a small, centrally located, area. :)

Taking nothing from Greensboro whatsoever, they have a top notch facility, but I'm sure quite a few folks are happy to be able to bounce from event to event, fan fests, restaurants, hotel, etc, all without firing up the car. I'm sure it won't make any difference to some attendees, and might not make any difference in getting any other events, but for some I'm sure they will leave with a positive feel for the city and the overall arena and surrounding activity. Its already been fun -- lots of B-ball fans have already been all over the streets today.

My in-laws are in town (30 mins north of Milwaukee) this week, I just informed my FIL that Davidson was in the CLT vacinity, suffice to say this game just gained importance about tenfold. The good news is that UW will not have much of a home court advantage in Detroit, I can't wait to watch it with him...

Is their game tonight? If so what time and what channel is carrying it in Charlotte? I'd love to see these guys go much further...

How about the Bobcats going out to LA and taking it to the Lakers last night? Kobe even got ejected at the end of the game. Classic.

The Bobcats really get no respect. A big win like this and here's how the story from the newswire begins: LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Jason Richardson had 34 points and 10 rebounds, and the Charlotte Hornets stunned the Los Angeles Lakers 108-95 on Wednesday night in a game where Kobe Bryant drew two technical fouls in a span of 29 seconds late in the fourth quarter and was ejected.

The Bobcats really get no respect. A big win like this and here's how the story from the newswire begins: LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Jason Richardson had 34 points and 10 rebounds, and the Charlotte Hornets stunned the Los Angeles Lakers 108-95 on Wednesday night in a game where Kobe Bryant drew two technical fouls in a span of 29 seconds late in the fourth quarter and was ejected.

Didn't see that, they misprinted the Charlotte Hornets ??? Or are you lamenting the loss of our rightful name? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious.

Is their game tonight? If so what time and what channel is carrying it in Charlotte? I'd love to see these guys go much further...

Friday evening, I think 7. Agreed it will be great to see these guys go further, for me it is neat mainly because it is another NC team in the tourney, I don't pretend to know anything about Davidson other than having a very close loss to UNC, and of course it will be fun to have a few beers and talk smack during the game...

Edited by nowensone

As far as I can tell, most teams take the name with them when they relocate. The Lakers used to be in Minneapolis, the Grizzlies in Vancouver, the Jazz in New Orleans--which is why their names make no sense given their locations.

In most cases that's true. The only time I can remember where a team name stayed was when Cleveland lost the Browns about 12 years ago to Baltimore. Now, I've heard rumors that the Sonics name may stay in Seattle when the team moves (or likely moves) to Oklahoma City. However once a team leaves and takes the name, that name goes with the franchise. So you will never see "Hornets" in Charlotte again, at least not for an NBA team.

In most cases that's true. The only time I can remember where a team name stayed was when Cleveland lost the Browns about 12 years ago to Baltimore. Now, I've heard rumors that the Sonics name may stay in Seattle when the team moves (or likely moves) to Oklahoma City. However once a team leaves and takes the name, that name goes with the franchise. So you will never see "Hornets" in Charlotte again, at least not for an NBA team.

The rumor is correct. According to team owner Clay Bennett, he wants the Sonics name and history will remain in Seattle . I suppose Mr. Bennet want a fresh start in Oklahoma City. Something I wish Shinn did several years ago, but oh well.

But it is possible to have the old name returned to its original city. The only reason that it doesn't usually happen is because the branding rights belong to the owner, who just holds onto them unless offered an alternative. Unfortunately in the Bobcats case the Hornets name and logo is being used in another city, so from a marketing point of view it would be a poor decision to try and buy it for the Bobcats franchise.

Are you saying the Greensboro coliseum is a failure? They have after all built just 1 arena to Charlotte's 3 attempts and are still taking events away from Charlotte.

No, no...not saying that at all. I think it's a great building and I think Greensboro has realized what side their bread is buttered on and has invested a lot into the success of that building and the events held there.

I'm just really proud of what Charlotte has accomplished and what we seem to be becoming...

And, just for the record...I really like Greensboro as a city.