Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

But it is possible to have the old name returned to its original city. The only reason that it doesn't usually happen is because the branding rights belong to the owner, who just holds onto them unless offered an alternative. Unfortunately in the Bobcats case the Hornets name and logo is being used in another city, so from a marketing point of view it would be a poor decision to try and buy it for the Bobcats franchise.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. The current owner stated he wants to keep the name and history of theSonics franchise in Seattle.

I wished George Shinn left the Hornets name when he moved to the team to New Orleans and renamed his franchise. I still have trouble saying Charlotte Bobcats or even acknowledging they exist this city.

What's really odd about that is that "Hornets" refers to a nick name for the area during the Revolutionary War, when the British referred to the area as a "Hornet's Nest" - due to the local insurgency against British rule. Charlotte's minor leagues baseball team was called the Hornets for a large part of their history. The name has historical roots, going back over 200 years to Charlotte. It has no meaning whatsoever to New Orleans, sorta like when the NO Jazz moved to Salt Lake City, which isn't known for jazz at all.

Edited by whitehourseview

What's really odd about that is that "Hornets" refers to a nick name for the area during the Revolutionary War, when the British referred to the area as a "Hornet's Nest" - due to the local insurgency against British rule. Charlotte's minor leagues baseball team was called the Hornets for a large part of their history. The name has historical roots, going back over 200 years to Charlotte. It has no meaning whatsoever to New Orleans, sorta like when the NO Jazz moved to Salt Lake City, which isn't known for jazz at all.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The Hornets name is practically worthless in N.O. Just like the Utah Jazz, the LA Lakers are another prime example of a franchise name not fitting with the city.

I wonder how long it will take to replace all the highway signage to the new name. Hopefully we will get some better signs too. The Bobcats Arena signs always seemed so (pardon the pun) uneventful.

Good question. I wonder if it will be done at the same time as the signage on the arena. Also, who actually pays for that? Is that a Mecklenberg/City of Charlotte thing or a DOT thing? I'm sure someone like Monsoon could probably answer that...

Official name will be "Time Warner Cable Arena" as most of us speculated. The deal goes into effect immediately. Starting with tonight's game, the Bobcats will be shown on Fox Sports Net South. I think that's channel 60 on cable. Financial details have not been disclosed. A 2pm press conference is scheduled... Apparently our phantom owners MJ and Bob will be there.

Edited by dbull75

The name is a mouth full and doesnt sound that good either. Someone before suggested a name of the "cable box" I think that might catch on evetually.

I was worried about the logo...but I think it turned out alright by intregrating the arena architecture into the logo like they did for the ACC Tourney logo.

I watched their first game on FSN tonight. There was very good coverage and a whole lot of promotion for the new TWC name, which is actually already growing on me. I noticed they already made a few interior changes to the arena such as some TWC signage on the inside I know the rest of the changes will come within the next few months.

I watched their first game on FSN tonight. There was very good coverage and a whole lot of promotion for the new TWC name, which is actually already growing on me. I noticed they already made a few interior changes to the arena such as some TWC signage on the inside I know the rest of the changes will come within the next few months.

I too was happy to watch the first FSN-South Game tonight. I was happy to see they won (go bobcats) and for the first time this season I could tell 6,8 and 9 apart from eachother without walking up to the tv. Even on the bigger television I couldn't tell before, but tonight it was actually possible. As for TWC arena, I would have perferred the roadrunner coliseum, but I don't have a problem with it. I wonder what the new knights stadium will be called.

Edited by Guest

I watched the game as well... Well, I DVRd it since I had a prior engagement :) But never the less I think the coverage is SO much better on Fox Sports. I also agree with nibletodell in that the picture is much improved as well. Hopefully Fox Sports will soon have all their channels in HD. FSN also did a nice job of promoting the TWC deal, the Bobcats and the city of Charlotte as well. Hats off to them... Now, lets hope we can get a better team on the floor next season.

Was at the game last night. They gave out free t-shirts with the new name on it. Funny that when making the announcement during the game and presenting the autheticated jerseys with the partnerships, the rep from Time Warner Cable screwed up the name and called it "Time Warner Cable Center".

Was at the game last night. They gave out free t-shirts with the new name on it. Funny that when making the announcement during the game and presenting the autheticated jerseys with the partnerships, the rep from Time Warner Cable screwed up the name and called it "Time Warner Cable Center".

Well, at least the rep didn't call them the Hornets :wacko:

Please tell me that name isn't serious...if so that is HORRIBLE and i am now happy with our new name~!

With the direction these arena names are headed, get ready for them to steadily get worse.

The Tostitoes Fiesta Bowl and the like began this trend with bowl games.

Get ready for the Cheddar Cheese Nips Arena in some poor city soon.

Anyway good for Charlotte! We can just call it the TWC Arena!

Edited by Mid South NC

While I am not thrilled with the name, and feel it sounds much better without the "Cable", it could be worse. At least its not as bad as Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland :sick:

The name is awful, but fans quickly dubbed it "The Q". And an arena name will not attract or deter fans from seeing games. The Q has the Cavs and LeBron James, and most of their games are sold out. If you put a quality product on the court, you will sell tickets.