Charlotte is Huge, can you say you've seen every corner of it?

Charlotte Hoods.  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How much of Charlotte would you say you have actually seen.

• 100% King of the Queen City. from Albemarle Rd. to Zebulon Ave
    • 80-99% I've seen pretty much it all. Between all the circles, 277, 485 and route 4
    • 60-79% I'm decently well travelled, E and W blvd, N and S Tryon, No problem
    • 40-59% Rozzelles Ferry Whats that?
    • 20-39% Queens Road Again?!?!?!??!
    • 1-19% Independence?!?!? Where am the &#$@ am I.
    • 0 I've never been here.

I usually like to explore the city I'm in, but middle and outer ring neighborhoods are hard for me to be interested in, so I've stuck to the thoroughfares and major centers in those parts of the city. But I've seen a lot of the inner city neighborhoods, and actually walked through a decent percentage of those, too.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a topic that has always fascinated me for any city that I've lived in. I make it a point to check out all parts of a city at some point. But you're really asking two question here.... what parts have you been to, and where to you "know?" I have been to all parts of the city and its suburbs except the southeastern most parts like Monroe, Waxhaw, Indian Trail, etc., and then a couple of NorthMeck towns like Davidson and Cornelius. So thats what, 80% of greater Charlotte?

But how much do I really know? I can safely say that I know about 10% if not less by heart. If I'm going outside of Route 4 I will take my map. But then I've only been here 6 months, so its all relative. South Charlotte confuses the absolute crap out of me. I get lost down there in about 10 seconds if I get too far off of the main roads from which you can access center city (South Blvd, Park Rd, Providence). The road naming situation in this city doesn't make the process any easier for new comers.

I've been in Charlotte since 1990 and I'm still lost. I know most of East and North Charlotte and University City by heart. I know where to avoid traffic and take short cuts or back ways. However South Charlotte is confusing, especially the wedge between South Blvd and Monroe Rd. I'm pretty confortable knowing my way around Uptown/Midtown/Elizabeth areas with patches of the West side, mainly along West Blvd and Freedom Drive. I must say I'm not familar with anything in Union County. I've been deep into York, Gaston, and Cabarrus Counties and know the main thoroughfares.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I took a new job, in a new part of the city, outside my "charlotte comfort zone". With the job came printers in various parts of the city, and clients in various parts of the city that I have had to visit. Because of this, I can now say I have been able to explore a lot of places I never have and I can now proudly say I have been to at least 80-90%. Today while I backed up my work computer, I decided to make a map to see how much of charlotte I had indeed been to, it was much more expansive than I thought. If anybody ever has some spare time and wants to make a map, it really is a learning experience.

whereIvebeen.jpg

light purple= where I've been in the metro

Purple=my comfort zone, I have no chance of getting lost here

Jerry Orr Purple=Where I spend 90% of my time.

• 3 weeks later...

I work in site development almost exclusively based in and around Charlotte and the surrounding towns. I have been here seven years now with three different firms and four different homes. I've seen almost all of it, but I still occasionally find a new road not yet traveled. Throw me in at 90%.

Archived