Macon Mall

cyclingundertheson

that's what Hull Storey Gibson does.they buy distress properties at at discounted price throw a little money at them and sell them. most there malls are one story.Then tend to add stores like T.J. Max,Shoe Depot Encore,Michaels,etc.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just question HSG's practice-- fixing up a distressed mall if it just needs some TLC or moderate repositioning and selling it could do well, but without having actually been to Macon Mall, it seems to have no future, regardless of how much money is put into it.

Having lost 3 of 6 anchors plus "better" in-line stores, and being in what I understand is a troubled part of town, doesn't bode well- it's much much much harder to revitalize a mall with those characteristics than it is to revitalize a mall that's in a good area and faces little competition but just needs TLC.

Well, from what HSG has said in the past, they have no plans to sell the mall. They've said they want to make Macon Mall their "flagship mall." And to be honest, I haven't seen much evidence that HSG really does the buying-and-selling thing that much anyway; their portfolio has remained more or less the same every time I visit their website. The only mall they've sold in recent memory that I know of is Dublin Mall.

It's correct that Macon Mall has no future - at least, not as a traditional shopping mall, which is what HSG still wants it to be. Tearing down the East Wing and relocating all the stores there to the West Wing (all the stores that wanted to stay, anyway - in other words, 5 or less) does make the mall look a lot less empty. But it doesn't solve the problems that caused the mall to start emptying out in the first place.

What really annoys me is HSG's arrogant attitude about it, especially Mr. Gibson, who's been doing all the speaking about Macon Mall. He always acts like his solution is the perfect solution, and it's going to bring Macon Mall back to its 1990s former glory, that he and HSG know more about running malls than any other company out there (when in fact most of their malls are nearly devoid of shoppers). When Sears announced it was closing, he laughed it off and claimed Sears was never a good fit for the mall in the first place. He'd say that about any anchor that closed, I bet you. I can't decide if he really believes all the crap he's saying, or if he's only dumb enough to expect everyone to believe his lies.

When it comes down to it, I don't think Macon Mall was the right mall for HSG to buy. HSG runs one-level small-town malls, not two-level big-city malls. It takes two completely different strategies to run those two types of malls, and HSG is trying to run Macon Mall as if it's a small-town mall. Their track record with the malls they already have is pretty bad. Milledgeville Mall does well enough to survive because of its anchors, but there are only about 40 spaces for small stores inside the mall, and that's about the same as HSG's other malls. That's a lot less inline space to fill than at Macon Mall. When anchor #4 leaves, whether it's Macy's or Belk (JCPenney seems to be in it for the long haul, what with their renovation plans), I'll start looking for HSG to put the mall back on the market. And Mr. Gibson will say that his job is done, and that it was a resounding success.

my guess would be that Belk's will close their Macon Mall store in 2012.they already have a newer and better looking store in Macon and the Centerville Belk's is undergoing a multi million dollar renovation.the Belk's in the Macon Mall is looking really dated.

If and when a Belk leaves a mall in the South, it's pretty much over.

I read the article with Mr. Gibson's quotes about Sears leaving--he stated that they are leaving the market, rather than relocating, because they didn't connect with the Macon customer. Whatever. The Macon Mall Sears must have been one of the worst-performing in the chain, or else Sears also saw the writing on the wall for the mall, and decided that there was no future there.

Well, from what HSG has said in the past, they have no plans to sell the mall. They've said they want to make Macon Mall their "flagship mall." And to be honest, I haven't seen much evidence that HSG really does the buying-and-selling thing that much anyway; their portfolio has remained more or less the same every time I visit their website. The only mall they've sold in recent memory that I know of is Dublin Mall.

It's correct that Macon Mall has no future - at least, not as a traditional shopping mall, which is what HSG still wants it to be. Tearing down the East Wing and relocating all the stores there to the West Wing (all the stores that wanted to stay, anyway - in other words, 5 or less) does make the mall look a lot less empty. But it doesn't solve the problems that caused the mall to start emptying out in the first place.

What really annoys me is HSG's arrogant attitude about it, especially Mr. Gibson, who's been doing all the speaking about Macon Mall. He always acts like his solution is the perfect solution, and it's going to bring Macon Mall back to its 1990s former glory, that he and HSG know more about running malls than any other company out there (when in fact most of their malls are nearly devoid of shoppers). When Sears announced it was closing, he laughed it off and claimed Sears was never a good fit for the mall in the first place. He'd say that about any anchor that closed, I bet you. I can't decide if he really believes all the crap he's saying, or if he's only dumb enough to expect everyone to believe his lies.

When it comes down to it, I don't think Macon Mall was the right mall for HSG to buy. HSG runs one-level small-town malls, not two-level big-city malls. It takes two completely different strategies to run those two types of malls, and HSG is trying to run Macon Mall as if it's a small-town mall. Their track record with the malls they already have is pretty bad. Milledgeville Mall does well enough to survive because of its anchors, but there are only about 40 spaces for small stores inside the mall, and that's about the same as HSG's other malls. That's a lot less inline space to fill than at Macon Mall. When anchor #4 leaves, whether it's Macy's or Belk (JCPenney seems to be in it for the long haul, what with their renovation plans), I'll start looking for HSG to put the mall back on the market. And Mr. Gibson will say that his job is done, and that it was a resounding success.

I didnt know they sold the Dublin Mall,who bought it?

I didnt know they sold the Dublin Mall,who bought it?

A company called McKnight Properties. I don't know anything about them. All I know is that I noticed one day last year that Dublin Mall was no longer on the HSG website, and then when I visited the mall, the vacant spaces' lease signs had the new company's name on them.

Oh Mellophonius, cheers, cheers, cheers!!! I agree with everything you said 100%. I have practiced Architecture, painting, sculpture, and differing water elements for years, whether interior or exterior. Water has a very calming effect for human beings, and when HSG did away with ALL the water elements in the mall, I knew then that HSG was crazy!! :angry:

The skylights were not that impressive, not like the skylight treatments which Cumberland Mall once had, which like Macon Mall is still there, just hidden away inside with sheetrock, and covered outside with white metal. but to replace them with drop down accoustical tile- YUCK!! :sick: And the Old South Antebellum Mansion look just does not feel right.

As far as Sears, it is strange that that store has been an origional anchor since the mall opened in 1975. Arrogant HSG stated like you said that it was not a right fit for the mall, and also it might be two years before they find a replacement anchor. Ah, yeah, right, I can just see it now, Nordstrom, Von Maur, Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Avenue, or oh better yet Neiman Marcus will be the better fit for a struggling mall with the arrogant management of HSG.

It is interesting that JCPenney seems to be in this for the long haul according to the exterior renovations. Usually when JCP gets a hint that a mall is starting a downward spiral, they are the first anchor to usually throw in the towel like they did in Atlanta at Shannon and Cumberland malls. Perimeter Mall only closed because it did not fit the upscale demographics of the area and was replaced with the Southeastern U.S. Flagship Dillard's.

I guess we will have to wait and see. I can not wait to make my next trip down to see my brother in Macon and check out what HSG has done to Macon Mall, or maybe I should say hasn't done lol! My facial expression might look like this after I have seen the mall!! :shok:

Macy's is the only store i buy clothes from at the mall.unless im on that side of town i dont go there.seems like I read somewhere there goal is a 100 stores.

Or maybe they could just demolish the Sears once it closes and a bunch of the in-line mall space and then the mall will be back to full occupancy and they can continue to advertise how shrinking the mall is a good thing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A company called McKnight Properties. I don't know anything about them. All I know is that I noticed one day last year that Dublin Mall was no longer on the HSG website, and then when I visited the mall, the vacant spaces' lease signs had the new company's name on them.

I do not know much about them either, but more positive changes have happened at the Dublin Mall since they took over then HSG ever did. I hope all the rest of the rumors for the Mall and surrounding areas become reality.

I do not know much about them either, but more positive changes have happened at the Dublin Mall since they took over then HSG ever did. I hope all the rest of the rumors for the Mall and surrounding areas become reality.

Do you happen to know what new tenant was added to the Dublin Mall, in the space that's sort of between the front of the mall and Belk? That whole area was under construction when I was there several months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived