Macon Mall

cyclingundertheson

Wow. There's no chance of saving this mall now. Wonder when Macy's will close and move to North Macon? Anyone think they will just close completely? Even though the economy is improving, they have been closing underperforming stores in malls like this. My guess is that they will close and open up in about 2015 at River Crossing, when (hopefully) the economy improves.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone heard anything about Belk's leaving? HSG has submitted a new site plan to planning and zoning and it list the Belk's store as Former Belk's main store.

Do you have a link to this site plan? Never mind, I found it.

http://www.maconbibb...ads/3-26-12.pdf at the bottom.

Not only is it listed as "former Belk Matthews main store," but part of it is shown as demolished and replaced with more parking. Also, neither Sears nor Dillard's is listed as "former," despite one closing soon and one having closed years ago, and the Firestone building is listed as "JCPenney TBA Building / Firestone," apparently because it was once the JCPenney auto center. Very strange.

EDIT: I wonder if somehow Belk has been convinced to move over into the soon-to-be-vacant Sears space (perhaps HSG will give it a renovation like they're doing for JCP), and then the Belk space will be downsized for a junior anchor, or something like Burlington Coat Factory. If that's the case, though, I wonder why they wouldn't just renovate the existing Belk store and downsize the old Sears...

• 2 weeks later...

A HSG VP said they have 60,000 sf about to be leased,but can't say who it is until all the papper work is done.said they should reveal who they are within a few weeks.

Is 60,000 sf a typical size for a Burlington Coat Factory? That has been mentioned as a likely future tenant at the mall, perhaps after Sears closes.

BELK TO CLOSE ITS MACON MALL STORE

http://www.macon.com/2012/03/21/1955305/belk-closing-its-macon-mall-store.html

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/174225/153/Macon-Mall-Belk-to-Close-in-October

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/Belk-Store-Closing-At-Macon-Mall-143664106.html

Two down, two to go. Oh, and Mr. Gibson's comments? "This is not a surprise. They advised us before (we purchased the mall), ... and we made our investment knowing Belk would leave.”

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Office Depot is moving into the old Liens and Things space/

Where'd you find that out? I guess they're trying to compete with Staples over at Eisenhower, but I still can't see that they'll be getting much more business with the new location. Maybe they just wanted a newer building.

Where'd you find that out? I guess they're trying to compete with Staples over at Eisenhower, but I still can't see that they'll be getting much more business with the new location. Maybe they just wanted a newer building.

It was on Macon.com

Looks like The Childrens Place and Things Remember are relocating to River Crossing.Kirklands has already moved.with Belks closing in Oct im sure Macy's wont be far behind.

Other than Macy's are there any nicer mid level stores left at the Mall?

Looks like The Childrens Place and Things Remember are relocating to River Crossing.Kirklands has already moved.with Belks closing in Oct im sure Macy's wont be far behind.

Other than Macy's are there any nicer mid level stores left at the Mall?

Not that I know of. Kirkland's was the last of the nice inline tenants that I can remember. The only thing that could keep Macy's from closing was if they couldn't find another home in the Macon-Warner Robins area. If none of the new projects in north Bibb County get off the ground, and Macy's can't succeed (or doesn't want to) in adding onto the anchor pad at the Galleria at Centerville, their only choices are to stay at Macon Mall or leave the market entirely. Does anyone know what the status is on north Macon's projects that could potentially include Macy's?

Not that I know of. Kirkland's was the last of the nice inline tenants that I can remember. The only thing that could keep Macy's from closing was if they couldn't find another home in the Macon-Warner Robins area. If none of the new projects in north Bibb County get off the ground, and Macy's can't succeed (or doesn't want to) in adding onto the anchor pad at the Galleria at Centerville, their only choices are to stay at Macon Mall or leave the market entirely. Does anyone know what the status is on north Macon's projects that could potentially include Macy's?

North Macon Plaza on Bass Road is looking to open in spring/summer 2014 with Target and what looks like a Movie Theater as anchors according to the latest site plan.I got an email from Woody Rush from Jim Wilson Assoicates a while back and he sad they are still working on River Crossing Marketplace.North Macon Towne Center is just selling off lot by lot.Rob Ballard the developer said intrest is picking up but he doesn't have any signed contracts.

North Macon Plaza on Bass Road is looking to open in spring/summer 2014 with Target and what looks like a Movie Theater as anchors according to the latest site plan.I got an email from Woody Rush from Jim Wilson Assoicates a while back and he sad they are still working on River Crossing Marketplace.North Macon Towne Center is just selling off lot by lot.Rob Ballard the developer said intrest is picking up but he doesn't have any signed contracts.

I figured North Macon Plaza was closest to reality, but I also figured there wasn't a space there for Macy's. I've heard rumors that JCPenney is/was considering River Crossing Marketplace. As for North Macon Towne Center, it's been a while since I looked at their site plan, so I don't know if there's room for Macy's there, either. What was the development that was supposed to be in the area surrounded by New Forsyth, Bass, Wesleyan, and Riverside?

I figured North Macon Plaza was closest to reality, but I also figured there wasn't a space there for Macy's. I've heard rumors that JCPenney is/was considering River Crossing Marketplace. As for North Macon Towne Center, it's been a while since I looked at their site plan, so I don't know if there's room for Macy's there, either. What was the development that was supposed to be in the area surrounded by New Forsyth, Bass, Wesleyan, and Riverside?

there's plenty of room for Macy's at North Macon Towne Center......That's the old Northwinds Square site. It has been bought by the Jones Company(Flash Foods).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived