Macon Mall

cyclingundertheson

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow........

Welcome to Macons Version of Regency Mall. I think it is interesting how the Macon Mall was the largest in Georgia for years throughout the 90's and 2000's then the bottom falls out and it is dying quickly. Regency Mall in Augusta was the largest mall in Georgia all through out the 70's and 80's then the bottom falls out and it struggled in the early 90's like the Macon Mall is today. I call it the Largest Mall of Georgia Curse. Ten years from now i suspect we will talk about the Mall of Georgia like we are the Macon Mall today.

The Macon Mall has a few things against it.

1.new open air lifestyle center on the other side of town(some stores haved moved to)

2.location it's located between I-75 and I-475 but not close to either.

3.demos-it's in a high crime low income part of town.

4.poor mall management over the past 10 years.

5.last time it was updated was around 1996.

6.the malls value has fallen 60+% over the past 5 years.resulting in a negative equity.which leaves no capitol for improvement.

7.the next thing I see happening is cutting back mall hours to save cost.(ex.10-6)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome to Macons Version of Regency Mall. I think it is interesting how the Macon Mall was the largest in Georgia for years throughout the 90's and 2000's then the bottom falls out and it is dying quickly. Regency Mall in Augusta was the largest mall in Georgia all through out the 70's and 80's then the bottom falls out and it struggled in the early 90's like the Macon Mall is today. I call it the Largest Mall of Georgia Curse. Ten years from now i suspect we will talk about the Mall of Georgia like we are the Macon Mall today.

I really do not think that Mall of Georgia will not die. It is larger and more upscale than Town Center at Cobb & Northpoint. Discover Mills is an outlet mall that does not perform well. Gwinnet Place does not have much and looks old. Therefore, Mall of Georgia will last a long time. I think that the only retail centers left in Atlanta will be Mall of Georgia, Lenox, Phipps, Streets of Buckhead, Atlantic Station, Town Center at Cobb, Perimeter & Northpoint. Notice the pattern? All of them are more upscale than the rest. That may be one reason why Macon Mall is doing bad.

I really do not think that Mall of Georgia will not die. It is larger and more upscale than Town Center at Cobb & Northpoint. Discover Mills is an outlet mall that does not perform well. Gwinnet Place does not have much and looks old. Therefore, Mall of Georgia will last a long time. I think that the only retail centers left in Atlanta will be Mall of Georgia, Lenox, Phipps, Streets of Buckhead, Atlantic Station, Town Center at Cobb, Perimeter & Northpoint. Notice the pattern? All of them are more upscale than the rest. That may be one reason why Macon Mall is doing bad.

The difference between the Macon Mall and the Regency Mall(Augusta) was at that time the Augusta region was not ready for 2 Malls. The economy crisis is more of the problem for the Macon Mall, and wrong timing for a new Mall opening in the down fall of the economy. Most of the stores that left the Macon Mall was planning to keep second locations in Macon; The current ones at the Macon Mall and the New ones at the Shoppes at River Crossing. Non of the retailers close due to not enough support in the Macon Market, But more due the Economy's down turn and to cut cost and avoid the same path of circuit city and others. So most retailers chose the new north Macon Mall over the older Macon mall . Right now its very difficult for the Mall staff to find new retailers due to a freeze from retailers not looking to expand there present or create more costs; when people are really not shopping. But I feel if the Macon Mall can sustain until the recovery of the economy it will bounce back.

• 1 month later...

HAHAHA!! I find this funny that you think the Macon Mall is larger than the Mall of Georgia which opened in 1999 and has 1.8million sf and almost 50 more stores than Macon Mall had at build-out.

HAHAHA!! I find this funny that you think the Macon Mall is larger than the Mall of Georgia which opened in 1999 and has 1.8million sf and almost 50 more stores than Macon Mall had at build-out.

He didn't say it was larger than the MOG. He said the Macon Mall was the largest mall in Georgia in the 1970s, which as you say was before the MOG was built. The Largest Mall Curse he refers to means that any mall that is at one time the largest in the state is, under the terms of this curise, eventually doomed to fail. He looks to be stating that the MOG, which has succeeded the Macon Mall as the largest in the state, will eventually suffer the same slowdown and starvation that the Macon Mall is today.

• 2 weeks later...

He didn't say it was larger than the MOG. He said the Macon Mall was the largest mall in Georgia in the 1970s, which as you say was before the MOG was built. The Largest Mall Curse he refers to means that any mall that is at one time the largest in the state is, under the terms of this curise, eventually doomed to fail. He looks to be stating that the MOG, which has succeeded the Macon Mall as the largest in the state, will eventually suffer the same slowdown and starvation that the Macon Mall is today.

I doubt that would happen. The only malls in Gwinnet are MOG, Gwinnett Place and Discover Mills. Discover Mills is not doing well and so is Gwinnett Place. GP is adding some Korean Walmart like store or something...so I see Ann Taylor, Abercrombie & Fitch and abercrombie (and others) moving out. It is always full of tourist. I will agree with you that if Atlanta had no tourist, it would close, but that is not the case. The mall has so many parking spaces, and almost all of them were full. So, I think it will not die.

I doubt that would happen. The only malls in Gwinnet are MOG, Gwinnett Place and Discover Mills. Discover Mills is not doing well and so is Gwinnett Place. GP is adding some Korean Walmart like store or something...so I see Ann Taylor, Abercrombie & Fitch and abercrombie (and others) moving out. It is always full of tourist. I will agree with you that if Atlanta had no tourist, it would close, but that is not the case. The mall has so many parking spaces, and almost all of them were full. So, I think it will not die.

I wasn't stating that, I was reiterating and trying to interpret what cyclingundertheson was saying.

• 1 month later...

I do not necessarily agree with the assertion that Discover Mills is not doing well. While not at 100% occupancy, it's far from struggling and has a great mix of entertainment venues, outlets, and regular stores.

It's not as hot as Sawgrass Mills, but it's still doing fine.

• 11 months later...

Subway closed? Wow, I think that was the only place I ever cared to get food from at the food court. But I haven't been to the Macon Mall in ages... someone refresh my memory, is there still a Chick-fil-A there?

no,chick-fil-a closed a few months ago

• 1 month later...

Mall sold to Hull Storey Gibson.there going to do a multi million dollar renovation.tearing down the newer wing and turning it into parking and green space.

http://www.13wmaz.co...01/609393005001

Wow, Hull Storey Gibson has that kind of money? Why can't they use it on their almost-deserted malls in places like Milledgeville and Dublin? This sounds a bit farfetched, but I suppose I'm hopefully confident that it will be carried out. How ironic that the newer wing will be demolished - but the food court and a larger number of anchor stores kept the older wing more afloat, I guess. I sure hope this project includes a renovation of the remaining wing, both interior and exterior. Something needs to be done about attracting more chains (back) to the food court, too...

my understanding is that got it dirt cheap.less than what it's worth.they hope this will put them up with some of the bigger players in the mall bussiness.this is goning to be their flagship mall.guess we wil see what they can do.

Wow, Hull Storey Gibson has that kind of money? Why can't they use it on their almost-deserted malls in places like Milledgeville and Dublin? This sounds a bit farfetched, but I suppose I'm hopefully confident that it will be carried out. How ironic that the newer wing will be demolished - but the food court and a larger number of anchor stores kept the older wing more afloat, I guess. I sure hope this project includes a renovation of the remaining wing, both interior and exterior. Something needs to be done about attracting more chains (back) to the food court, too...

Archived