Scores sickened by Peru meteor crash

vdogg

Sounds like an xfile. :lol: I wouldn't usually post something like this except it has no been reported by the AP and BBC news (which are usually fairly reputable). It's an interesting story nonetheless. Who knew that meteors could make you sick?

link

A fiery meteorite crashed into southern Peru over the weekend, experts confirmed on Wednesday. But they were still puzzling over claims that it gave off fumes that sickened 200 people....

He said water in the meteorite's muddy crater boiled for maybe 10 minutes from the heat and could have given off a vapor that sickened people, and scientists were taking water samples.

"We are not completely certain that there was no contamination," Mechare said."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last I read, they are still leaning towards the meteorite theory but several of the events are baffling scientists. They say they don't understand why the water supposedly boiled for 10 minutes because meteorites are actually cold when they hit the Earth and are unsure of the people's claims of sickness because apparently meteorites don't collect or give off any gases as they pass through the atmosphere. They are still analyzing the earth and metal samples from the rock they have found.

Last I read, they are still leaning towards the meteorite theory but several of the events are baffling scientists. They say they don't understand why the water supposedly boiled for 10 minutes because meteorites are actually cold when they hit the Earth and are unsure of the people's claims of sickness because apparently meteorites don't collect or give off any gases as they pass through the atmosphere. They are still analyzing the earth and metal samples from the rock they have found.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived