GR mentioned on Today Show

Jocar

Did anyone hear Grand Rapids mentioned on the Today Show this morning? They were talking about housing markets and compared Brooklyn and GR. They referred to us as a "Wally and Beaver" type of town and showed shots of Gaslight Village. The piece spoke favorably of GR and talked about our low median house price.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone hear Grand Rapids mentioned on the Today Show this morning? They were talking about housing markets and compared Brooklyn and GR. They referred to us as a "Wally and Beaver" type of town and showed shots of Gaslight Village. The piece spoke favorably of GR and talked about our low median house price.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Even Matt Lauer says afterward "The person in Brooklyn is thinking 'What can I do, what kind of living can I make in Grand Rapids".. after they showed the 400 square foot studio for $292,000. :o

The direct video link seems to be broken or something. Here's the story link:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20874580/

This is a nice plug for house prices.

Do you feel insulted? http://video.woodtv.com/?video_id=8399 Can't pretend to cover it with publicity, but if there's an image you want to project, "Wally and Beaver" or "Can someone make a living here?" isn't cutting it.

If people were smart about this and were very vocal to the Today Show this could create controversy. Controversy = more press = more people hear Grand Rapids....

This is a nice plug for house prices.

Do you feel insulted? http://video.woodtv.com/?video_id=8399 Can't pretend to cover it with publicity, but if there's an image you want to project, "Wally and Beaver" or "Can someone make a living here?" isn't cutting it.

If people were smart about this and were very vocal to the Today Show this could create controversy. Controversy = more press = more people hear Grand Rapids....

Wood was inundated with emails and phone calls otherwise they wouldn't have raised the question.

What the heck is a Wally and Beaver town anyway? If they mean to say "family friendly city" I wish they would say it. I bet Mayfield didn't have a JW :lol:

I assume you know what Leave It To Beaver's neighborhood looks like? Homes built in the 30's, 40's and 50's, tree-lined streets, sidewalks, kids on bikes, walking to school, etc.. That's also how the woman Lauer was interviewing characterized it. When you say "Wally and Beaver" town, an image immediately comes to mind (which again I don't think should be a bad thing). The only people who use it as a put-down are people with issues IMO.

How do you know they were inundated with emails and phone calls? I think the worst thing GR could do is ask Lauer for an apology. OyyVay. Then we WILL look stupid.

If you listened to the entire clip on Today, it was really an EGR-centric story.

They talked about Wally-n-Beaver, and a "tiny downtown" where "kids walk to school" and "ride their bikes into the Village" (with a picture of Rose's Express behind it).

I don't think, given the fact they were talking about East Grand Rapids, that the Wally-and-Beaver comparison was wrong at all (or an insult). What's more, the screen actually said "East Grand Rapids, Michigan" on it...so I think the only thing that went wrong was Lauer calling it Grand Rapids by mistake.

At any rate, the publicity was positive, as a whole, for the area.

If someone called GR-proper a "Wally and Beaver" town, I'd say it was wrong...but still not insulting.

Archived