Should Mecklenburg County ban "saggy pants"?

atlrvr

Should Meck. Co. ban saggy pants?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes - Please ban them
    • No - It doesn't bother me
    • What are saggy pants? I have no idea what you're talking about.

I voted no.

Its a fashion trend... yea certain members of our society that don't feel they need to be law abiding citizens follow this trend, but if this is a reason to ban the trend, then shouldn't we ban everything that non law abiding citizens wear. Does this mean that I can't wear my greased stain tshirt because too many bubba's got locked away for beating up their wives and they were wearing greased stained tshirts.

And anyway, didn't the saggy pants style go out in the 90's?

And what happens if the trend goes back.. is everyone that follows the trend automatically going to be deemed a criminal?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, let's pass a law against a countercultural trend, thereby embedding the rebellious attitude behind the fashion even more into the minds of those the law targets. That's smart, and tax dollars couldn't be better spent than clogging up the justice system with something as frivolous as this. Bill James for mayor.

America has so many styles and trends that are absolutely ridiculous and senseless.....After coming back from Europe (where the style is arguably the best in the world) I just laugh at all this going on here.....If a Milanoan or a Parisian, or even an Athenian saw these weird obnoxious clothing habits here, they would be like ???? :huh: But I digress....to each his own

This is such a ridiculous idea---and apparently it was thought up by people who are capable of only ridiculous ideas.

As long as required body parts are covered up, what does it matter how someone chooses to wear his/her trousers? EVERYTIME I've seen kids wearing baggy pants, everything was covered up. So what if people can see underwear? Even without long pants as part of the look, what is the difference in wearing a loose pair of boxer shorts and a pair of walking shorts?

Just another example of kids having their rights trampled on because they don't have a vote. Let's keep preachers and governments out of the style arena. I would trust a 12 yr old's fashion sense more than that of a preacher or a politician anyway.

Oh yeah, let's pass a law against a countercultural trend, thereby embedding the rebellious attitude behind the fashion even more into the minds of those the law targets. That's smart, and tax dollars couldn't be better spent than clogging up the justice system with something as frivolous as this. Bill James for mayor.

I absolutely agree with everything you just said. This entire idea is just ridiculous; teenage fashion trends are not a crime. Furthermore, even if it is indecent, that fact alone does not justify legal action. There happen to be practical limits how much the government can control how we dress, talk, etc without subsequently trying to control how we think.

It's the same old story with people who wanna control other people.......in the first place, if anyone is offended by saggy pants and visible underwear, all they have to do is look away. How hard is that to figure out?

But no--- that preacher in Charlotte wants to "ban" something that is so innocuous as to be laughable!

Our civil rights are always at risk with these controlling people.

I wouldn't considering clothing types a civil right, but I agree that it is absurd to try to ban them from a city. Dress codes in school are fine, and they do work as long as there is political will enough to get over the difficult start.

Unfortunately, I think that people often see a true social problem and want to simply pick away at the symptom of the problem, rather than the true cause. If preachers want to alleviate the problems of youth gang affiliation and crime, they need to focus on getting those kids into their churches or supporting families to help change their culture one heart and mind at a time. As long as these kids are participating in gangs, and the entire community is focused on a no-snitch lifestyle that allows the gangs to strengthen and be above the law, then it doesn't much matter what they wear. (I know not all kids wearing saggy pants are in gangs).

If we do start banning bad style, let's please add stretch pants, plaid flannel shirts, those hawaiian shirts that middle aged people wear to act like they are on vacation all the time, and cargo jeans. Oh, and short shorts with sexy phrases on the ass should be banned for any size above a 6. While we're at it, maybe ban anything bigger than 'XL', it might get people to exercise if they had to go naked (a modest proposal).

If we do start banning bad style, let's please add stretch pants, plaid flannel shirts, those hawaiian shirts that middle aged people wear to act like they are on vacation all the time, and cargo jeans. Oh, and short shorts with sexy phrases on the ass should be banned for any size above a 6. While we're at it, maybe ban anything bigger than 'XL', it might get people to exercise if they had to go naked (a modest proposal).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certain we should ban "saggy pants" once your $700.Hugo Boss pants are banned, because people may think you are too "metro"; or my tight Fornorina low cut jeans are banned, for fear of the perpetual "oh, she deserves whatever she gets" attitude; Or the "wife beaters" are banned, because you know they are all skinheads....... :huh:

Point being: Let people wear what they want. Your job is too dissolve sterotypes and misconceptions. Something familiar to you may be the "rave" culture of the early 90's when "saggy pants" were cool for that social-culture.

ugh.... :angry:

When I was young I liked saggy too, but the real world hit me in the face & when I attended college people treated me differently. So I changed with this boring society & started wearing GAP, & all the other Khaki tacky crap. It amazing how freedom of speech is loosing in America. This what happens when you have a bunch of highly religious folks running the government. If this is ban then I want to see the jails slam pack full of plumbers because these guys alway showing their ass crack, but I know who they are targeting this too...... Lets say young AA. Also if this gets ban I want see all confederate Flags & clothing burn because I'm sick of looking at it (just like they are tired of the baggy pants!) they lost & I could b**tch about this all day & I can say I feel threaten when I see it, but hey its fashion!

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I hate to agree with this decision, it was the right thing to do. If these losers want to walk around with DPS (droopy pants syndrome) then that is their business. Kinda like the hippies from the mid 60's, it is only a fad and will hopefully fade into oblivion one of these days.

Archived