Bike Sharing Uptown/SouthPark

Miesian Corners

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I think some bike riders (typically the couriers with a time is money tradeoff) break certain rules more than drivers would (running red lights, changing lanes constantly without signals, etc.), drivers certainly are not rule followers here or anywhere.

How did the bike planning session go? I think the city is doing a lot more to support bike riding. I'm happy that they have added bike lanes downtown in a few sections. I have not bicycled much in Charlotte, but I have lived in places like Holland where bicycled infrastructure is ubiquitous, and am well aware of the social and environmental benefits to having a large percentage of population using the bicycle for some trips. I am delusional to think that Charlotte will come anywhere close to the Dutch cities in either bike ridership or bike infrastructure, but just moving toward that ideal would be very positive for the city.

I walk 15 minutes elevator to elevator every single day. I own a bike, but not once in the two years I've been walking have I ridden it to work. Furthermore, I walk with a gaggle of people every morning and I never see anyone on a bike. I often wonder why I don't ride a bike, but I can't figure it out. My "commute" would easily get cut down to 5 minutes from 15...I guess it just seems like I would likely get dirty and the walk gives me some time to enjoy music and the city at a slower pace before I get into the grind.

Archived