Restaurant Development in Little Rock Metro area

It seems like there's a lot of restaurants coming in. I have family that lives in Little Rock and they keep telling me about the great new restaurants coming in (Copeland's, Carrabas, etc). There is a similar thread in the NW Arkansas forum and wanted to start one talking about restaurant development in Little Rock and the surrounding 'burbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ruth's Chris is coming to Little Rock. Looks like the rumor is true. There's an article in the morning news of nwa talking about the opening of the one in Rogers. Arkansas Chops LLC, which is opening the one in Rogers, will also open stores in Little Rock and Tulsa.

Here's the link:

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/10/...100407ruths.txt

Ruth's Chris is coming to Little Rock. Looks like the rumor is true. There's an article in the morning news of nwa talking about the opening of the one in Rogers. Arkansas Chops LLC, which is opening the one in Rogers, will also open stores in Little Rock and Tulsa.

Here's the link:

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/10/...100407ruths.txt

When it was first announced that Ruth's Chris was coming to norwest Arkansas it also was announced that the franchisee had the Tulsa and Little Rock markets as well. They were going to open in NWA first because of the lack of "good" steakhouses, then would open restaurants in Tulsa and Little Rock.

Enjoy the restaurant. I've eaten there and it's good.

Terrific news, though I do enjoy Sonny Williams, too. The only Ruth's Chris I've had the pleasure of visiting was the one in downtown Indianapolis over a Labor Day weekend. I still obsess over the broiled tomatoes from that meal. More than the fact that the dinner was in the midst of a big basketball event in town, and thus, sports personalities such as George Karl (who coached the Milwaukee Bucks at the time).

Terrific news, though I do enjoy Sonny Williams, too. The only Ruth's Chris I've had the pleasure of visiting was the one in downtown Indianapolis over a Labor Day weekend. I still obsess over the broiled tomatoes from that meal. More than the fact that the dinner was in the midst of a big basketball event in town, and thus, sports personalities such as George Karl (who coached the Milwaukee Bucks at the time).

I ate at one in Dallas and it was decent by DFW standards at that price but will be terrific by Arkansas standards. I haven't been to Arthur's yet but Ruth's Chris is nearly on par with Sonny Williams and MUCH better than Riverfront Steakhouse and Butcher Shop. It will do well.

The question is where it will be located. I would think Promenade at Chenal, the new restaurant complex on Hwy 10, and Park Ave are all possibilities as is a freestanding location near Markham, Financial Centre, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The AR Times gave Creegan's four stars. From what I read about the opinion about the food, one star must have been for the beer and another for the ambience. Two for the food.

I took my family there a week ago. Not a great place for young kids. No child menu.

I had the Shepherds Pie. A little greasy, but tasty. My wife had the fish and chips. She was underwelmed. I don't see myself returning until the Steelers are in the playoffs and minus the family.

Edited by turboturtle

The AR Times gave Creegan's four stars. From what I read about the opinion about the food, one star must have been for the beer and another for the ambience. Two for the food.

I took my family there a week ago. Not a great place for young kids. No child menu.

I had the Shepherds Pie. A little greasy, but tasty. My wife had the fish and chips. She was underwelmed. I don't see myself returning until the Steelers are in the playoffs and minus the family.

It's good to know that there is another Steelers fan on the board. They will be 6-2 after beating the Ravens next Monday and take control of the AFC North.

• 4 months later...

When it was first announced that Ruth's Chris was coming to norwest Arkansas it also was announced that the franchisee had the Tulsa and Little Rock markets as well. They were going to open in NWA first because of the lack of "good" steakhouses, then would open restaurants in Tulsa and Little Rock.

Enjoy the restaurant. I've eaten there and it's good.

Went to the Rogers one last week, food was excellent. Unfortunately for Little Rock, they're opening up in Tulsa first before turning the focus to LR.

Went to the Rogers one last week, food was excellent. Unfortunately for Little Rock, they're opening up in Tulsa first before turning the focus to LR.

Thats too bad. I don't think Little Rock has anything in that range. Doe's appeals to a different demographic than does Ruth's Chris. Correct me if I'm wrong. They will be a welcome addition when they do come. Park Ave maybe?

Edited by bchris02

Thats too bad. I don't think Little Rock has anything in that range. Doe's appeals to a different demographic than does Ruth's Chris. Correct me if I'm wrong. They will be a welcome addition when they do come. Park Ave maybe?

I wouldn't say Little Rock didn't have any in that range. Off the top of my head, I can think of Sonny William's, Arthur's Prime, and Riverfront steakhouse.

I wouldn't say Little Rock didn't have any in that range. Off the top of my head, I can think of Sonny William's, Arthur's Prime, and Riverfront steakhouse.

Sonny William's and Arthurs are definitely in/beyond the range of Ruth's Chris. They just are not chains...which is desirable IMO.

Edited by EJC

Sonny William's and Arthurs are definitely in/beyond the range of Ruth's Chris. They just are not chains...which is desirable IMO.

I'd second this as well. I think Ruth's Chris would have serious competition from these two here, while having none in NWA. I'd locate there first as well.

I'm a fan of Ruth's Chris, don't get me wrong, but the other two I'd put a tier above in the range of a Del Frisco's or Palm. I didn't expect much from Arthur's when it opened but I was wrong, it's spectacular. Ruth's Chris is a third tier steak joint in Dallas, I think Sonny's and Arthur's would run clearly in the second tier there.

I'd second this as well. I think Ruth's Chris would have serious competition from these two here, while having none in NWA. I'd locate there first as well.

I'm a fan of Ruth's Chris, don't get me wrong, but the other two I'd put a tier above in the range of a Del Frisco's or Palm. I didn't expect much from Arthur's when it opened but I was wrong, it's spectacular. Ruth's Chris is a third tier steak joint in Dallas, I think Sonny's and Arthur's would run clearly in the second tier there.

It good to know that you think that Sonny's and Arthurs could compete in the second tier of steakhouses in Dallas. I haven't been to Arthurs, but I am a fan of Sonny Williams. Ruth's Chris will be good to have for the name, but it's also good to know that the locals can compete.

I was reading threw this thread and I noticed you mentioned Doe's. Is that steakhouse out ot Little Rock? We have one here in Downtown Springfield and I never knew where it came from, pretty good steak though. I actually like that Little Rock doesn't have so many chain steakhouses, they localy owned ones down there a awesome. It's basically the same here in Springfield. There are quite a few steakhouses but nothing compares to Flame or Clary's. Sullivans is great but it doesn't touch Flames aged meat. If anyone ever visits up here you really need to try Flame Steakhouse downtown. Pretty soon we will also be getting a Mike Shannon's Steakhouse out of St. Louis, can't wait for that.

I was reading threw this thread and I noticed you mentioned Doe's. Is that steakhouse out ot Little Rock? We have one here in Downtown Springfield and I never knew where it came from, pretty good steak though. I actually like that Little Rock doesn't have so many chain steakhouses, they localy owned ones down there a awesome. It's basically the same here in Springfield. There are quite a few steakhouses but nothing compares to Flame or Clary's. Sullivans is great but it doesn't touch Flames aged meat. If anyone ever visits up here you really need to try Flame Steakhouse downtown. Pretty soon we will also be getting a Mike Shannon's Steakhouse out of St. Louis, can't wait for that.

The original Doe's is in Greenville, MS just across the Mississippi from Lake Village, AR. It's become very popular in Arkansas with multiple locations, including their famous second location in Little Rock where Clinton used to spend a lot of time. The tamales are as big a draw as the steaks.

• 3 weeks later...

Arkansas Business if reporting what we alreaday know, that a Zaxby's and Texas Roadhouse are going to open in Shackleford Crossings. One new restaurant that was mentioned was Cheddar's Casual Cafe. It will be the first location in Arkansas and the chain has 64 locations in 16 states.

Arkansas Business if reporting what we alreaday know, that a Zaxby's and Texas Roadhouse are going to open in Shackleford Crossings. One new restaurant that was mentioned was Cheddar's Casual Cafe. It will be the first location in Arkansas and the chain has 64 locations in 16 states.

I wouldn't be that excited about Texas Roadhouse... the atmosphere is better than the food. They have all the waiters and waitresses do line dancing throughout the night. I don't know if I just had a bad experience but I will never go back. Cheddar's, on the other hand, is a great restaurant and will be very popular. The one up here is always packed and the food is great and very cheap. A lot of their food is pretty fattening though.

I was also wondering if ther is a Sullivan's down there.

I wouldn't be that excited about Texas Roadhouse... the atmosphere is better than the food. They have all the waiters and waitresses do line dancing throughout the night. I don't know if I just had a bad experience but I will never go back. Cheddar's, on the other hand, is a great restaurant and will be very popular. The one up here is always packed and the food is great and very cheap. A lot of their food is pretty fattening though.

I was also wondering if ther is a Sullivan's down there.

Sullivan's won't go in that development, not upscale enough. Maybe Promenade at Chenal, maybe Park Avenue if Ruth's Chris doesn't. They'd do well at Pleasant Ridge but if they wanted that location they already could've had it. I could be wrong, I would've thought Copeland's should look for a nicer development as well.

The other two places you nailed, based on my experience in Dallas.

I agree about Texas Roadhouse, though it will get its fans. Little Rock has very few low-end steak places like this, Outback and Lone Star are kind of the lower tier.

I also agree on Cheddar's. Their menu is similar to the whole Chili's/TGIF/Applebee's genre but has more selection and portions are bigger. Furthermore, the quality of the food is just a whole lot better. We virtually always chose Cheddar's over the other chains I mentioned when we lived in Dallas even if it meant a longer drive. They also have a remarkable drink menu. Looking at their expansion pattern it's interesting they weren't already in LR. Dallas-based chains usually opt to expand to Arkansas early, Cheddar's is almost everywhere but here. It's pretty logical they'd be looking at locating in LR and this is probably the right development for it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Marketplace Grill, which currently has locations in NWA and in Conway, has announced its expansion into the LR market. They haven't yet chosen a site but they said it would most likely be in WLR.

Thanks for the info.

On the restaurant itself, I have never been a big fan. I think it is kind of overrated. People in Conway love the place but I think that is mostly because until recently they haven't had much to choose from.

Thanks for the info.

On the restaurant itself, I have never been a big fan. I think it is kind of overrated. People in Conway love the place but I think that is mostly because until recently they haven't had much to choose from.

Anybody remember Kirby's in WLR? It was a NWA success, but it's lack of a bar/beer or wine didn't translate well in LR.

I think Marketplace has good (enough) food, but sometimes it's nice to have a glass of wine or cocktail with dinner. Anybody know if they plan on serving alcohol?

Anybody remember Kirby's in WLR? It was a NWA success, but it's lack of a bar/beer or wine didn't translate well in LR.

I think Marketplace has good (enough) food, but sometimes it's nice to have a glass of wine or cocktail with dinner. Anybody know if they plan on serving alcohol?

From what little I know about the Marketplace owners I'd wager not a chance of a bar.

I am not sure how well Marketplace will do in LR. The few times I have been I was not impressed. Very average. It does well in Conway because there are few other options. When I was in college at UofA it did well in Springdale but there weren't near the options there are now up there. It seems like it would be a good fit for Shackleford Crossing.