Restaurant Development in Little Rock Metro area

20 hours ago, Architect said:

I think cafeterias are just on the out altogether...in some ways a holdover from another time and place.  People expect to get some service for a price paid, and standing in line getting your own food, then paying a price that is not inexpensive has got to be a tough business plan.  While I think Luby's food quality was decent (the few times I've been there in recent memory), people expect service AND experience, and cafeterias offer neither.

That's generally a fair assessment. While there are those business formats and styles that have cycles of customer appeal, it's progressively rare to find private sector cafeterias that hold their own in today's economy. Franke's does quite well, all things considered, though admittedly not without its own cutbacks.

On August 31, 2016 at 11:07 AM, SangreRaVen said:

not really surprised by this, the WLR location was the last one left in the state so... wonder what will go there? that is a big building... maybe they could take it down and expand out the small strip mall that is located behind it where Moe's and the other places are at. If I had to guess though, most likely some Chinese buffet will end up in it :P

-R

The brand really has languished on for a long time.  The last time I was there probably about three months ago the food was not good.  Perhaps it was the lack of business but I could tell something was off.

The whole idea of another chinese buffet at this location makes me want to throw up.  I can't really think of any buffet joints that are all that wonderful.  With such a big building and that much parking, I'd love to see a better use for this place.  Maybe not a restaurant although the landlord has the lease priced for a restaurant.  Restaurants that are 8000SF never really seem to do well.  Perhaps they will cut this building up for multiple uses.  This small stretch of markham would benefit from solid tenants to maintain traffic.  Chick Fil A, Jimmy Johns, and la Madeleine really help.  A JJ's Grill opened up in the shopping center down the street a bit.  They seem to be doing well.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/15/2017 at 9:39 AM, ecity3138 said:

Saltgrass Steakhouse has applied for a plumbing permit in Sherwood. I believe it will be next to Crain Kia of North Little Rock.

It says 6040 Warden Road. On the Border is 6000 with an empty lot next to it so that would be my guess.

2 hours ago, truckie6606 said:

Saltgrass  Steakhouse also has a permit that just posted for 10 Anglers Way.  I'm going to guess this is in the new development area currently being cleared behind Bass Pro.  Can't find specifics on that address, but the name would fit the area.

What is the name of the road that goes around the Outlet Center and Bass Pro, from Cavendars all the way to Otter Creek?  Does it have a name?  

• 2 weeks later...

Zaxby's is finally going to land in Little Rock proper.  They have filed for a plumbing permit at 10601 Kanis Road out west.  The location would be near Panera Bread and Dunkin’ Donuts.

As I recall, they were originally slated to open a location at Shackleford Crossing (several years ago)...this would obviously replace that planned site.

• 6 months later...

I’m sure everyone knows about this but Dixie Cafe has closed all of its locations (including some out of state locations) last Wednesday. They cited declining sales along with food costs as the main factor. Personally, I’m saddened about the closure because that used to be my favorite place to eat at when I was younger. It’s even worse that the employees lost their jobs right before Christmas. I think they should have waited till at least the end of the year so employees could have the opportunity to find another jobs. 

Do anybody  noticed a couple of area restaurants  closed down these past months (ex: Arkansas Burger, Cock of the Walk, Mimi’s Cafe, etc)?

Edited by ecity3138

15 minutes ago, ecity3138 said:

I’m sure everyone knows about this but Dixie Cafe has closed all of its locations (including some out of state locations) last Wednesday. They cited declining sales along with food costs as the main factor. Personally, I’m saddened about the closure because that used to be my favorite place to eat at when I was younger. It’s even worse that the employees lost their jobs right before Christmas. I think they should have waited till at least the end of the year so employees could have the opportunity to find another jobs. 

Do anybody  noticed a couple of area restaurants  closed down these past months (ex: Arkansas Burger, Cock of the Walk, Mimi’s Cafe, etc)?

It had to have been sudden even to some of the administrative staff at Dixie's main office. One could see through a window last week that Christmas decorations were up on the walls.

Edited by ArkansasTraveler
clarification

6 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

I heard that a lot of the restaurant staff came into work one day and were told they were closing the following week... so yeah, pretty sudden

-R

I feel sorry for the employees to receive a short notice on them losing their jobs in a week. I wonder what will replace the locations in the future (Furr’s Fresh Buffet maybe?).

Edited by ecity3138

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Chili's may be on the move.  A recent plumbing permit places the address as 12505 West Markham.  Google says that's the Parker Mini location, but looking at the neighboring numerical addresses, this looks more likely to be the old Luby's Cafeteria building about 1/2 block further east.  I'm guessing this is a relocation of the Rodney Parham location???

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/eng/planreview/PLUMB/102049.htm

2 hours ago, truckie6606 said:

Looks like Chili's may be on the move.  A recent plumbing permit places the address as 12505 West Markham.  Google says that's the Parker Mini location, but looking at the neighboring numerical addresses, this looks more likely to be the old Luby's Cafeteria building about 1/2 block further east.  I'm guessing this is a relocation of the Rodney Parham location???

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/eng/planreview/PLUMB/102049.htm

One could argue whether or not that's an improvement...but I guess on the one hand, while I-430 is convenient, that portion of Rodney Parham road isn't the hotbed it once was (though it is across from Olive Garden).

For those of you all hoping for a Cheesecake Factory in Arkansas, it’s not going to happen anytime soon. I just got off the phone from a representative at their real estate department who states the population and income does not meet their requirements even in the nicest part of town (ex: Chenal). I’m surprised the representative mentioned income too low considering Memphis income is not that much greater even though there’s more population.

Edited by ecity3138

36 minutes ago, ecity3138 said:

For those of you all hoping for a Cheesecake Factory in Arkansas, it’s not going to happen anytime soon. I just got off the phone from a representative at their real estate department who states the population and income does not meet their requirements even in the nicest part of town (ex: Chenal). I’m surprised the representative mentioned income too low considering Memphis income is not that much greater even though there’s more population.

Sounds like an excuse, considering there is one in Birmingham, Tulsa and Des Moines.  Birmingham and Tulsa are similar to each other in size (and larger), but not significantly more income (if at all).  Des Moines is actually SMALLER though arguably higher income.

1 hour ago, Architect said:

Sounds like an excuse, considering there is one in Birmingham, Tulsa and Des Moines.  Birmingham and Tulsa are similar to each other in size (and larger), but not significantly more income (if at all).  Des Moines is actually SMALLER though arguably higher income.

They said they need a population of 200,000 and an average income of $80,000.00 a year within 20 miles in order for possible sites. I’m sure Memphis doesn’t have that type of income within the location at the Wolfchase mall.

Edited by ecity3138

They said they need a population of 200,000 and an average income of $80,000.00 a year within 20 miles in order for possible sites. I’m sure Memphis doesn’t have that type of income within the location at the Wolfchase mall.

What?! The population is 750,000 (market)...and $80,000 sounds like a suspiciously round number. I think someone on the other end of your phone is just feeding you a line. I’m not arguing that LR is the right market for them, but rather that those aren’t reasons. I think it’s often a bit more nuanced than that (the right development, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Architect said:

What?! The population is 750,000 (market)...and $80,000 sounds like a suspiciously round number. I think someone on the other end of your phone is just feeding you a line. I’m not arguing that LR is the right market for them, but rather that those aren’t reasons. I think it’s often a bit more nuanced than that (the right development, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They claim they look everywhere in Arkansas but could not find a site that fits their requirements. Personally, I think they are making excuses because there are some wealthy people in Little Rock who exceed that income and the population definitely exceed 200,000 within 20 miles (Gateway Town Center fits that criteria in terms of population). I’m not buying the fact that Memphis has that average of income. Maybe city officials  can encourage them to reconsider the Arkansas market.

Edited by ecity3138

• 4 weeks later...