Restaurant Development in Little Rock Metro area

Romano's Macaroni Grill on west markham has closed.
edit: a Moderator can delete this post, as it was mentioned elsewhere. 

It more accurately belongs in this thread. I made comment in the West Little Rock thread, but a 25+ year run is honorable, given the significant changes in competition and locale. Plus, I wasn’t aware how many others had closed (OKC & Tulsa for example).

I’m sorry to see it go. I have lots of fond memories of that restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

News over the weekend from Rock City Eats notes that The Southern Gourmasian has closed in downtown (plus its food truck).  And around the corner at EJ's, new ownership is now in place as of last Thursday.

Too bad.  I had heard so many good things about it, yet the one time I finally went, regrettably I thought it was awful.  That was probably a year ago.  I imagine between 3 Fold and the other new, hip asian eateries downtown, it just proved to be too much competition.

• 2 weeks later...

And now, around the corner from Southern Gourmasian, notices have been posted at Sufficient Grounds, slated to vacate its space by February 28.  Some time ago, the owners bought The Sports Page, which will see expanded service into the breakfast hours in March.

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mexico Chiquito on Highway 10 has closed. The phone number is disconnected. It really doesn’t surprise me consider the last experience I had with them. The location on W. Markham in Little Rock and  North Little Rock remain open at this time. 

Also, Juicy Seafood will open in the former Johnny Carinos location on Highway 10 next Monday.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, vbfl85 said:

Dunkin Donuts on Kanis and Shackleford  has closed.

That location has been sold. Don’t know what’s going in there yet.

7 hours ago, Architect said:

DemGaz reports today that Del Friscos at the Promenade is closing. Best I can tell, it was the only location outside of DFW and Houston.

I’m not surprised. Went there a couple of weeks ago for lunch and there were very few people in there.

It seems like a lot of restaurants in Little Rock has been closing lately which makes me wonder if Little Rock is in a restaurant recession. There were very few restaurants that open in LR (other than the ones at the Gateway Town Center) so far this year. 

This is not a good sign for restaurants not presence in the market looking to open a location in the LR area.

Edited by ecity3138

2 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

It seems like a lot of restaurants in Little Rock has been closing lately which makes me wonder if Little Rock is in a restaurant recession. There were very few restaurants that open in LR (other than the ones at the Gateway Town Center) so far this year. 

This is not a good sign for restaurants not presence in the market looking to open a location in the LR area.

I might have to disagree with LR being in a "restaurant recession".  Maybe the restaurants which have closed just didn't do a good enough job. To me Del Frisco's just didn't live up to the hype. LR appears to be more of a local owned rather than a chain city. This month will see Cathead's and Ira's opening and in the next few months Arthur;s will be opening in a new location not too far from Del Frisco's.

• Like 1

I might have to disagree with LR being in a "restaurant recession".  Maybe the restaurants which have closed just didn't do a good enough job. To me Del Frisco's just didn't live up to the hype. LR appears to be more of a local owned rather than a chain city. This month will see Cathead's and Ira's opening and in the next few months Arthur;s will be opening in a new location not too far from Del Frisco's.

I agree with you. It’s too bad that the Del Frisco’s building wasn’t available for Arthur’s (before they selected their other new site).

28 minutes ago, skirby said:

There were some local restaurants that closed as well.  Dixie Cafe, Mexico Chiquito,  Arkansas Burger,  Southern Gourmasian,  and some other local restaurants  also closed this year which is why it’s questionable about  the local restaurant market in a recession. Even though I do support local restaurants, the most important thing these chains and locals bring is jobs and progress.

Personally, there are too many breweries and adult based restaurants  popping up around downtown and not enough true local family dining restaurants (ex: All Aboard Restaurants and Purple Cow restaurants to name a few) that have open. No parent will not take their children to a restaurant aimed more for adults and around booze while they are eating. That is not a way to represent our city in my opinion.

There needs to be some more true local family restaurants around town besides Purple Cow, David Burger, and All Aboard Restaurant. Also, there needs to be more true seafood restaurants around town besides Cajun’s and Red Lobster. Thank goodness Juicy Seafood Restaurant open in the former Johnny Carino’s Building in West Little Rock.

Edited by ecity3138

There were some local restaurants that closed as well.  Dixie Cafe, Mexico Chiquito,  Arkansas Burger, and Southern Gourmasian,  and some other local restaurants  also closed this year which is why it’s questionable about  the local restaurant market in a recession. Even though I do support local restaurants, the most important thing these chains and locals bring is jobs and progress.
Personally, there are too many breweries and adult based dining  place  popping up around downtown and not enough true local family dining restaurants (ex: All Aboard Restaurants and Purple Cow restaurants to name a few) that have open. No parent will not take their children to a restaurant aimed more for adults and around booze. That is not a way to represent our city in my opinion.

I think it’s nearly objectively quantifiable that the examples you gave closed because of declining quality and limited shelf lives.

That being said, I don’t disagree with your separate suggestion that more diversification in dining types is needed.

16 minutes ago, Architect said:

I think it’s nearly objectively quantifiable that the examples you gave closed because of declining quality and limited shelf lives.

That being said, I don’t disagree with your separate suggestion that more diversification in dining types is needed.

Arkansas Burger had some delicious burger in my opinion (even better than David Burger) and sadly it closed. 

If you look at the River Market District, it is noticeable that all you find is mostly bars and breweries that sells overpriced bar food (Big Whiskey has some horrible food the last time I went). There were even a couple of tourists who asked me where is a nice family friendly place to take their kids  because there was so many adult restaurant. So yes, there needs to be more diverse in food types (seafood, African cuisine, Southern cuisine)and atmosphere (family oriented for sure) especially in the downtown area. 

I even propose to the developers of the planned marina development to have a family style boardwalk fill with boutique shops, dining, and a Ferris Wheel overlooking downtown LR.

Edited by ecity3138

29 minutes ago, ecity3138 said:

There were some local restaurants that closed as well.  Dixie Cafe, Mexico Chiquito,  Arkansas Burger,  Southern Gourmasian,  and some other local restaurants  also closed this year which is why it’s questionable about  the local restaurant market in a recession. Even though I do support local restaurants, the most important thing these chains and locals bring is jobs and progress.

Personally, there are too many breweries and adult based restaurants  popping up around downtown and not enough true local family dining restaurants (ex: All Aboard Restaurants and Purple Cow restaurants to name a few) that have open. No parent will not take their children to a restaurant aimed more for adults and around booze while they are eating. That is not a way to represent our city in my opinion.

There needs to be some more true local family restaurants around town besides Purple Cow, David Burger, and All Aboard Restaurant. Also, there needs to be more true seafood restaurants around town besides Cajun’s and Red Lobster. Thank goodness Juicy Seafood Restaurant open in the former Johnny Carino’s Building in West Little Rock.

Southern Gourmasian closed because of location/building. The owners are opening their new restaurant an a few weeks "TAE" featuring their take on a southern menu.  I wish more breweries would open because most of the food they are offering is very good.  The best ribs I have had in LR can be found at Lost Forty and by the way I have seen a number of kids in there eating and I don't think they were exposed to any corruption or no more than brunch at the Purple Cow with their adult beverage choices. Arkansas Burger closed because of continuation of ownership. 

39 minutes ago, skirby said:

Southern Gourmasian closed because of location/building. The owners are opening their new restaurant an a few weeks "TAE" featuring their take on a southern menu.  I wish more breweries would open because most of the food they are offering is very good.  The best ribs I have had in LR can be found at Lost Forty and by the way I have seen a number of kids in there eating and I don't think they were exposed to any corruption or no more than brunch at the Purple Cow with their adult beverage choices. Arkansas Burger closed because of continuation of ownership. 

Everybody got their opinion on taste bud, but Whole Hog Cafe is one of  the best barbecue restaurant in town.  Lost Forty is ok in my opinion, however,  it is definitely not geared towards family  like David’s Burger or Purple Cow which has a diner theme look to it and theme food options like Purple milkshake. Most breweries and bars have typical bar food like burgers, pizzas, and sandwiches which is pretty good but nothing creative. There have been people (out of state visitors) actually complaining about lack of family friendly restaurants in the downtown area (specifically the River Market area) and dont want to bring their family to a place known for its booze  despite dining at these restaurants.  Not everybody  goes out to drink alcholol or being surrounded by drunk people all the time. Sorry, but I would not want my child to be around that type of atmosphere when dining out.

I hope Cathead’s Diner will be more family friendly along with the rest of the dining options in the newly developed East Village District.

Edited by ecity3138

6 hours ago, Architect said:

I agree with you. It’s too bad that the Del Frisco’s building wasn’t available for Arthur’s (before they selected their other new site).

I was thinking the same thing last night when I saw that post. I bet the owners of Arthur's wish they would have waited just a bit longer to relocate! 

• Like 1