Restaurant Development in Little Rock Metro area

18 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

Arkansas Burger had some delicious burger in my opinion (even better than David Burger) and sadly it closed. 

If you look at the River Market District, it is noticeable that all you find is mostly bars and breweries that sells overpriced bar food (Big Whiskey has some horrible food the last time I went). There were even a couple of tourists who asked me where is a nice family friendly place to take their kids  because there was so many adult restaurant. So yes, there needs to be more diverse in food types (seafood, African cuisine, Southern cuisine)and atmosphere (family oriented for sure) especially in the downtown area. 

I even propose to the developers of the planned marina development to have a family style boardwalk fill with boutique shops, dining, and a Ferris Wheel overlooking downtown LR.

What about, The Flying Fish,  The Corner,  Soul Fish, Brunos, Gus',  and several places in the River Market Building?   Also a couple of Pizza places and Jimmy's Serious Sandwiches is opening a location in the Cox Building.  Does your definition of family friendly preclude any place that has alcoholic beverages? 

The best burger in town is at the Box on 7th Street it was never at Arkansas Burger.

• 2 weeks later...

Arkansas Business reports that Whole Hog Cafe on Cantrell Rd  (one of the newest location in the metro) has closed. While not surprised, it still concerns me about the Little Rock restaurant market (chain and local) lately with all these closures that happened these past couple of months.

Edited by ecity3138

On 6/7/2018 at 11:25 AM, LRU1967 said:

What about, The Flying Fish,  The Corner,  Soul Fish, Brunos, Gus',  and several places in the River Market Building?   Also a couple of Pizza places and Jimmy's Serious Sandwiches is opening a location in the Cox Building.  Does your definition of family friendly preclude any place that has alcoholic beverages? 

The best burger in town is at the Box on 7th Street it was never at Arkansas Burger.

Arkansas Burger has won several awards in the past for one of the best burgers in town and I can see why. While everyone taste bud is different, the Box hamburger was greasy the last time I went. 

Also, I wouldn’t consider Flying Fish, Soul Fish Cafe, and Bruno’s kid friendly based on the atmosphere. David Burgers is aimed more towards  family dining as well as All Aboard train theme restaurant  located on Cantrell near Stein Mart. I would like to see more kid friendly places in the downtown area such as those two. There can be a local tourist theme restaurant in the Rivermarkert area whose theme is centered around Arkansas (the natural state) with faux trees, a replica of the iconic Broadway Bridge in LR, as well as other parts of Arkansas  even though this could be expensive to construct and operate.

Edited by ecity3138

Arkansas Burger has won several awards in the past for one of the best burgers in town and I can see why. While everyone taste bud is different, the Box hamburger was greasy the last time I went. 
Also, I wouldn’t consider Flying Fish, Soul Fish Cafe, and Bruno’s kid friendly based on the atmosphere. David Burgers is aimed more towards  family dining as well as All Aboard train theme restaurant  located on Cantrell near Stein Mart. I would like to see more kid friendly places in the downtown area such as those two. There can be a local tourist theme restaurant in the Rivermarkert area whose theme is centered around Arkansas (the natural state) with faux trees, a replica of the iconic Broadway Bridge in LR, as well as other parts of Arkansas  even though this could be expensive to construct and operate.

How do you not consider Flying Fish and Soul Fish not kid friendly? We take our kids there all the time...casual, non-bar like at all. Tons of fish stuff on the walls, whimsical decor, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Architect said:

How do you not consider Flying Fish and Soul Fish not kid friendly? We take our kids there all the time...casual, non-bar like at all. Tons of fish stuff on the walls, whimsical decor, etc.

There’s many places in the LR area that have pictures on the wall (Grampa’s in Maumelle, Eat My Catfish), however, it is not a unique theme resturant such as All Aboard restaurant where a model train deliver customer food below. I’m referring to restaurant like this as a creative kid theme restaurant rather than just a picture on the wall. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How about an additional Chinese option for downtown?  The ADG's Eric Harrison reports today that Chi's is planning an express location at 319 W. 2nd, diagonally opposite the Pulaski County Courthouse.  No word yet if it'll be a demolition or a (partial) remodel of the existing 7-story building on the site.

9 hours ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

How about an additional Chinese option for downtown?  The ADG's Eric Harrison reports today that Chi's is planning an express location at 319 W. 2nd, diagonally opposite the Pulaski County Courthouse.  No word yet if it'll be a demolition or a (partial) remodel of the existing 7-story building on the site.

Speaking of Chi’s, their location at Markham and Shackelford has permanently closed. I am not sure as to why, but I would assume that it had something to do with its location up and out of the way of most traffic (led to the downfall of other restaurants there as well, namely Cozumel’s and Macaroni Grill). 

• 2 weeks later...
I don’t think this has been mentioned anywhere but a Twin Peaks restaurant has opened in the old Macaroni Grill off of Markham.

Incorrect. The Twin Peaks at Markham and Shackelford has been there for years, and occupied the former Cozymel’s restaurant site. The prior Macaroni Grill facility is still empty as far as I know (it closed within this past year).

Makes sense actually, the building has a drive through and is the right size. 

Side note, I know they are opening a Red Robin in Benton or Bryant and I have heard that one is also going in over in NLR possibly near McCain Mall or that general area. I wonder if they will put one in Little Rock itself or if it will be like some chains that skirt around the outside of LR but never actually come into the city itself. 

-R

I believe the location of Mimi's is too big for a Red Robin but who knows if they will even try to open into LR itself or if they will stay outside and around it like others have. Joe's will not be expanding into LR anytime soon at all, I believe this has been mentioned on several occasions. LR is too small of a market and the company that own's them is trying to concentrate on the core itself and limit expansion into only certain areas.  If we ever did get one I would think it would be more likely to open out near the Bass Pro due to location. 

-R 

Edited by SangreRaVen

2 hours ago, SangreRaVen said:

I believe the location of Mimi's is too big for a Red Robin but who knows if they will even try to open into LR itself or if they will stay outside and around it like others have. Joe's will not be expanding into LR anytime soon at all, I believe this has been mentioned on several occasions. LR is too small of a market and the company that own's them is trying to concentrate on the core itself and limit expansion into only certain areas.  If we ever did get one I would think it would be more likely to open out near the Bass Pro due to location. 

-R 

The former Mimi’s Cafe location can be demolished for a Red Robin Location just like the former Luby’s Space demolished to make way for a new Chili’s. 

I don’t believe Little Rock is too small for a Joe’s Crab Shack with the city proper population close to 200,000. There are Joe’s Crab Shacks in much smaller market than Little Rock such as Branson and Shreveport. It is possible that Little Rock could possibly get one either at the former Macaroni Grill space or near Outlets of Little Rock. One of the reasons why the chain have not locate here was due to the former parent company (Ignite Restaurants) of Joe’s Crab Shack having financial issues before eventually filing  bankruptcy and closes half of their locations. The chain has since been sold back to their original owner (Landry’s, Inc) and is slowly expanding to new markets according to what a manager at the Memphis location stated recently. Landry’s want to turn Joe’s Crab Shack around by returning the chain to what it once was such as improving the menu, quality, and atmosphere. With two Saltgrass locations currently in Arkansas (both performing well above expectations), it wouldn’t surprise me if Landry’s decides to open another concept in the market such as Joe’s in the future.

Edited by ecity3138

Yes the location up on the hill where Mimi's is could be demolished, the big question would be if they wanted to come into LR. Originally one was set to open at Shackleford Crossing back when it first opened but that never happened. I have talked to a few ppl in the business / food scene in this area and been advised right now there is not plan for one inside LR itself.. Which makes me think it will end up being one of those chains that builds around outside of LR and maybe in a few years opens a location inside of LR. I know Joe's has been mentioned on several occasions on this site and most of the information that has come back even when the company was contacted was that there was nothing planned for this market for the foreseeable future. The main reasons given were the LR market is too small and of course Landry's is trying to rebuild the brand after the damage the previous company that owned it did. I know it has been rumored for a while that some larger seafood restaurant is going to open out at Gateway Town Center but that it was not Joe's and nothing as far as which brand or even a possible date was set yet. 

-R

Yes the location up on the hill where Mimi's is could be demolished, the big question would be if they wanted to come into LR. Originally one was set to open at Shackleford Crossing back when it first opened but that never happened. I have talked to a few ppl in the business / food scene in this area and been advised right now there is not plan for one inside LR itself.. Which makes me think it will end up being one of those chains that builds around outside of LR and maybe in a few years opens a location inside of LR. I know Joe's has been mentioned on several occasions on this site and most of the information that has come back even when the company was contacted was that there was nothing planned for this market for the foreseeable future. The main reasons given were the LR market is too small and of course Landry's is trying to rebuild the brand after the damage the previous company that owned it did. I know it has been rumored for a while that some larger seafood restaurant is going to open out at Gateway Town Center but that it was not Joe's and nothing as far as which brand or even a possible date was set yet. 

-R

Like ecity said, there may be multiple reasons for them not targeting Central Arkansas, but size isn’t one of them. If they’re saying that, it’s just to give someone an answer. They’re in a lot of smaller markets than Little Rock.

Why is it that Little Rock seems to get skipped over for smaller markets?   I've noticed this about restaurants and retail stores.    Cities that are larger in population but smaller in metropolitan population seem to land restaurants and retail stores who take a pass on Little Rock.   I would love to know the factors that companies make in deciding where to locate, or not to locate.

Edited by Arkanzin

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 11:36 AM, Arkanzin said:

Why is it that Little Rock seems to get skipped over for smaller markets?   I've noticed this about restaurants and retail stores.    Cities that are larger in population but smaller in metropolitan population seem to land restaurants and retail stores who take a pass on Little Rock.   I would love to know the factors that companies make in deciding where to locate, or not to locate.

A lot of it has to do with the right development and visibility to a major freeway. Many companies who are looking to expand to LR said there’s no available space for them to locate in the city which is why they pass LR for other cities. The Promenade At Chenal is a great development but is in a less dense part of town as well as lack of visibility from a major highway.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SangreRaVen said:

Well, at least the space won't sit empty for very long which is always a plus. 

-R

Glad to see the space will be occupied by a decent restaurant and not just another Mexican and Chinese restaurants the area don’t need. I’m still hoping the former Mimi’s Cafe and Macaroni Grill space be filled with decent restaurants such as Grub’s Bar and Grill or a new to the market restaurant chain.

Edited by ecity3138

Who thinks Little Rock restaurant market is  declining? There’s been too many restaurants, even local establishments, shut ting down this year than restaurants opening. Not a good sign for other restaurants (including local establishments) looking to open up shops in the metro area.

I think it is going through a shift, some could be due to changes in likes and dislikes of the ppl here. The more restaurants we get, especially those of similar styling the more competition and some naturally some places will not survive. Add in that some of the actual larger brands / franchises have closed due to issue with the company itself downsizing or just closing under performing locations and I kind of feel like its more a matter of it righting itself as of this moment. More stuff is coming, more stuff will be built, the big question of course will be is any of it worth anything really. 

-R