Restaurant Development in Little Rock Metro area

Anybody remember Kirby's in WLR? It was a NWA success, but it's lack of a bar/beer or wine didn't translate well in LR.

I think Marketplace has good (enough) food, but sometimes it's nice to have a glass of wine or cocktail with dinner. Anybody know if they plan on serving alcohol?

Marketplace would be a lot better if they did serve alcohol. The one in Ft. Smith doesn't but I always thought it was because its in a dry county (Sebastian county is half dry half wet and Marketplace is in the dry part). If they want to have a chance in LR, they definately need to serve alcohol.

I am not sure how well Marketplace will do in LR. The few times I have been I was not impressed. Very average. It does well in Conway because there are few other options. When I was in college at UofA it did well in Springdale but there weren't near the options there are now up there. It seems like it would be a good fit for Shackleford Crossing.

I'm admittedly pretty discriminating with restaurants and food quality, and I like Marketplace very much. Furthermore, there aren't any (or many) good, general "American" fare restaurants in Little Rock at all (Mimi's perhaps?), so I think it would do quite well.

Also, aren't the owners of Marketplace the same ones who had Kirby's? Our family misses Kirby's as well - very similar to Marketplace - great quality and a broad, American menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody on UP tried Cupcakes on Kavanaugh yet? That place is amazing! Best cupcakes I have ever had! They have traditional flavors and a couple of specialty flavors each day. The only problem with the place is its hours which are noon-5pm. I spoke with the owner when I was in there last and he said they were considering opening stores up in WLR and possibly Fayetteville. The place is very similar to the Sprinkles chain that are in larger cities. You can tell our market has been wanting something like this because every time I have been in there it has been packed with the line extending to the door. As a resident of WLR I am definately pulling for a WLR location (I think Pleasant Ridge would be a perfect spot for this type of store).

Has anybody on UP tried Cupcakes on Kavanaugh yet? That place is amazing! Best cupcakes I have ever had! They have traditional flavors and a couple of specialty flavors each day. The only problem with the place is its hours which are noon-5pm. I spoke with the owner when I was in there last and he said they were considering opening stores up in WLR and possibly Fayetteville. The place is very similar to the Sprinkles chain that are in larger cities. You can tell our market has been wanting something like this because every time I have been in there it has been packed with the line extending to the door. As a resident of WLR I am definately pulling for a WLR location (I think Pleasant Ridge would be a perfect spot for this type of store).

On Kavanaugh...Heights or Hillcrest?

• 3 weeks later...

A recent Arkansas Business article said that 11 of the 13 fine dining restaurants have seen sharp declines in revenue in 2008 - as much as 30% due to consumers cutting back because of high gas prices. What kind of impact will this have and will these restaurants be able to hold on?

Here is the article.

http://arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?a...17748&cID=i

Sonny William's and Arthurs are definitely in/beyond the range of Ruth's Chris. They just are not chains...which is desirable IMO.

I also agree, Sonny Wiliams and Arthurs steaks taste/prepared better than RC..

The last time I ate at RC was in Knoxville,TN.. it was expensive, the wine selection was limited, and they always serve their filets with a pad of butter on top... that has also been my experience at other RC's(yes, Arthur's is also overpriced and the wine selection is even more limited, but the steaks are delicious!)

IMO, as far as new steak chains, I'd rather see a Fleming's Steakhouse in LR.. better marinades, better wine selection than either Sonny/Arthur's and everytime I've eaten there, great service.. I've also been to a Capital Grill Steakhouse in Kansas City that was better than any RC (IMO)...

Any other "chain" steakhouses that others would like to see?

:mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a great place to get ceviche here in Central Arkansas?

I am not aware of any local restaurants with ceviche on the menu.

This may not be worth the trouble...

If it were me looking for ceviche, I'd call Jerry Barakat at his Blue Agave restaurant ((501) 821-1814) and as him if he'd prepare it for you.

UPDATED: I just read in Arkansas Business that the Blue Agave Grill closed about a month ago. Try call Jerry at one of his other restaurants. Ceviche is something he has had on his menu's in the past.

Edited by turboturtle

I am not aware of any local restaurants with ceviche on the menu.

This may not be worth the trouble...

If it were me looking for ceviche, I'd call Jerry Barakat at his Blue Agave restaurant ((501) 821-1814) and as him if he'd prepare it for you.

UPDATED: I just read in Arkansas Business that the Blue Agave Grill closed about a month ago. Try call Jerry at one of his other restaurants. Ceviche is something he has had on his menu's in the past.

Thank you.

It's just past The Ranch, almost all the way to the area including the Chenal Wal-Mart Supercenter, Little Rock Christian Academy, and the Bible Church. The restaurant is on the left, with lots of terra cotta pieces on racks in front, and across the street from a small liquor store. For good measure, a bartender friend of mine who grew up a short distance away in Roland says the margaritas at La Palapa are also dependably good. And there's also breakfast served on Saturday and Sunday mornings, which is likely as generous as that served at Casa Ma

It's just past The Ranch, almost all the way to the area including the Chenal Wal-Mart Supercenter, Little Rock Christian Academy, and the Bible Church. The restaurant is on the left, with lots of terra cotta pieces on racks in front, and across the street from a small liquor store. For good measure, a bartender friend of mine who grew up a short distance away in Roland says the margaritas at La Palapa are also dependably good. And there's also breakfast served on Saturday and Sunday mornings, which is likely as generous as that served at Casa Ma

• 2 weeks later...

If only one of the new Target locations in either Conway or Saline County had been a SuperTarget, we'd already have a soft introduction to the bagel brand. Einstein Bros. products are commonly featured in the bakery sections of SuperTargets, but a stand-alone location would be nice to have as well. One hopes that the demand is there, after moderate performance from smaller, independent bagel shops in this region over the last several years.

Side note: I'm not that picky on which flavors they might have, but I'd be most appreciative of chocolate chip, sun-dried tomato, and pumpernickel, along with a really good onion bagel.

Also... Arkansas Times' Eat Arkansas blog notes that two new chains are bound for The Promenade at Chenal, with both due in August. Yia Yia's Euro Bistro, which offers dishes taking cues throughout much of Mediterranean Europe, currently has only five locations

ALSO NEW TO LITTLE ROCK..

Just confirmed with a source at Trios...

Capi from Trio's and the Pleasant Ridge are ironing out the details for a Tapa's/Wine bar to move into the former Imagine Restaurant locations.

If you've ever been to a nice Tapas bar say in Austin, Texas or other large cities, done right the food can be a lot of fun and tasty.. definitely a creative addition to the Little Rock food scene.

The manager also promises a broad selection of inexpensive, but stimulating wines along with Very Premium Wines availabe by the glass, as an inert gas system will be integrated with the bar area...

I for one thinks this is a great idea, and for now it appears to be a done deal....

Can't wait :rolleyes:

Market Place Grill is planning to open a location at Colonel Glenn/I-430 according to plumbing review records.

I like Market Place Grill quite a bit, and Little Rock doesn't have enough "general fare" American restaurants in my opinion. But to be honest, I'm totally puzzled by this location. Perhaps there weren't any out-parcels left, but it seems Shackelford Crossings would be a PERFECT location for them! I'm very disappointed with what's ultimately happened at Colonel Glenn/I-430 - other than the Rave, its just an automobile dealership haven...so its puzzling what kind if synergy they hope to achieve. Perhaps its merely the visibility along a major corridor that was the draw.

Market Place Grill is planning to open a location at Colonel Glenn/I-430 according to plumbing review records.

I like Market Place Grill quite a bit, and Little Rock doesn't have enough "general fare" American restaurants in my opinion. But to be honest, I'm totally puzzled by this location. Perhaps there weren't any out-parcels left, but it seems Shackelford Crossings would be a PERFECT location for them! I'm very disappointed with what's ultimately happened at Colonel Glenn/I-430 - other than the Rave, its just an automobile dealership haven...so its puzzling what kind if synergy they hope to achieve. Perhaps its merely the visibility along a major corridor that was the draw.

If you're disappointed with what's happened thus far at Col Glenn/I430, then you should be happy this will locate there as it will help change the nature of the location...

ALSO NEW TO LITTLE ROCK..

Just confirmed with a source at Trios...

Capi from Trio's and the Pleasant Ridge are ironing out the details for a Tapa's/Wine bar to move into the former Imagine Restaurant locations.

If you've ever been to a nice Tapas bar say in Austin, Texas or other large cities, done right the food can be a lot of fun and tasty.. definitely a creative addition to the Little Rock food scene.

The manager also promises a broad selection of inexpensive, but stimulating wines along with Very Premium Wines availabe by the glass, as an inert gas system will be integrated with the bar area...

I for one thinks this is a great idea, and for now it appears to be a done deal....

I hear this deal has fallen through, the rent is just too high. Imagine was paying $8,000 per month. Another restaurant in Pleasant Ridge is apparently doing well. Is Bonefish a franchise or company owned?