Restaurant Development in Little Rock Metro area

If not for the location in nearby Saline County, a Red Robin would've been a fitting addition near Bass Pro and the outlets.  When and if Little Rock proper lands one, I still expect it to be in a somewhat peripheral part of the city — Chenal, Highway 10 corridor, or similar.  There's an outside chance one could still pop up somewhere on the old Sears property, too. 

14 hours ago, theman said:

I saw that in the Democrat Gazette review of restaurant openings and closings for 2018.

Not sure where ArDemGaz is getting their information from but I have first hand knowledge that the current owner of the closed Applebee's location is under contract with someone to sell the property and it's not Red Robin or anyone else associated with the brand.  So that story is a bust.  In speaking with the development team at Red Robin, the location in Benton was placed there because of the Dallas based property developers' close relationship with the brand.  The property was also leased/sold to Red Robin under a hybrid deal that made it very cost effective for them to show up.  The presence of the Red Robin in Benton also made sense to them because of the relative lack of competing restaurants.  They've stated that the Little Rock market is in their opinion oversaturated with local and chain concepts that compete with Red Robin.  The development team also cites the lack of good real estate in the City and they are unsure that opening a location in Little Rock would be a "home run".  

On 1/15/2019 at 4:26 PM, jnholmes said:

FYI: NLR is set to get a Raising Cane's. Its location is in the same vicinity as Freddy's, Chick-fil-a, and Popeye's on East McCain Blvd.

Raising Cane is also rumored to open a Little Rock location at the former Sears site location on University.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thv, Kark, and other news media are reporting that Cajun’s Wharf will close its doors on June 1 after 40 years of business. This is very disappointing to hear an iconic Little Rock landmark will be closing and raise the question about the future of the restaurant industry in Little Rock. I have been dining at Cajun’s Wharf every since I was a little child. While I’m sad to see it close, I really not surprised. The food quality have gone downhill over the years compare to what it once was and the prices are too high for the portions serve.

I’m hoping another company (Pappadeaux or Razzoo’s Cajun Cafe would be a good replacement) , would takeover the space.

Edited by ecity3138

16 minutes ago, Arkanzin said:

I only went there for drinks.  I had no idea it was a restaurant, too.  

I love their Play De Doo drinks. I go there occasionally just for that and to watch some bands play on weekends. The bar area of the building was great but the food quality at the dining area has been lacking for years. Who will pay $21.99 for three small pieces of catfish strips when you can  go to your local grocery store and buy a pound of regular size catfish fillets at a cheaper price that is just as good as Cajun’s?  

As much as I hate to see them go (it’s a Little Rock landmark), the lack of quality in food and steep prices for the portion and quality does not surprise me about them closing. Let’s hope Pappadeaux or Razzoo’s Cajun Cafe would take over the space.

Edited by ecity3138

8 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

I love their Play De Doo drinks. I go there occasionally just for that and to watch some bands play on weekends. The bar area of the building was great but the food quality at the dining area has been lacking for years. Who will pay $21.99 for three small pieces of catfish strips when you can  go to your local grocery store and buy a pound of regular size catfish fillets at a cheaper price that is just as good as Cajun’s?  

As much as I hate to see them go (it’s a Little Rock landmark), the lack of quality in food and steep prices for the portion and quality does not surprise me about them closing. Let’s hope Pappadeaux or Razzoo’s Cajun Cafe would take over the space.

Let's remember how much success Landry's had with that space.

22 minutes ago, adman0468 said:

Let's remember how much success Landry's had with that space.

Pappadeaux and Razzoo’s is so much better than Landry’s Seafood House. There are very few Landry’s Seafood locations (Branson is the closest one to LR) remaining in the country compare to when it bought Cajun’s in the  early 90’s and for a good reason. I went to one in San Antonio last year and it was terrible in terms of food quality and prices were expensive for what you get.

After reading Cajun’s Wharf  owner’s brief description on the reason for the closure, I can truly understand why the decision is made. I just hope the owner can move Cajun’s Wharf to a downtown River Market location where there’s more business on the weekdays, especially during lunch time, and on weekends. 

Edited by ecity3138

The article said that Cajun’s is 20,000 sq ft. That’s large for most modern restaurants. Plus the article said it’s an old building that needs quite a bit of work so either the owner of the building or whoever may take over the space will have to spend a lot of money to bring it up to date.