Metro10West

atlrvr

I just stumbled onto this project's website today.....I'm not sure it's deserving of it's own thread since it is so small. If there's a better place for it, please move it.

http://www.metro10west.com/

It appears to be 5 duplex (of sorts) buildings for a total of 10 units, on Westbrook Ave. (which is in the older leafy section of 3rd Ward)

It seems interesting.....I'm too lazy right now to try and dig up who is developing this, so I reserve further judgement.

Rendering

Model_perspective-2.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Hmmm, I kinda like the design too, but this is just the wrong location. They would fit so much better on a main thoroughfare rather then a side street between two single family ranch houses. N. Davidson in either NoDa or O. Park where they could fit in with the industial buildings would be a much more ideal location.

Wowie... these are very out of context but I really like them as a whole. I bet those homeowners on either side are either hating or loving this. Hating cuz, well, they have to wake up to these every morning. But at the same time, development like this opens doors for land around it to be redeveloped into similar projects meaning the prospects of profiting off their land.

I wonder if they are building this project in phases or if they decided to hold off on the other buildings facing the street.

I thought the renderings looked fine, but in reality these look awful IMO. Location plays a large part in that, but squeezing them into this tiny space does for me as well. I'm all for modern design, very much into it actually, but this just looks like a crappy rectangle with a very uninviting balcony that no one would want to spend time on. Combine that with the front load garage -- it looks more like a big garage than a home. Not bashing for the sake of bashing, but what did they consider when coming up with these? They also packed them so tight on this small space (go UR-1 zoning!) that there is hardly any common area or landscaping.

Now the rooftop terraces I do like, that would make up for the useless front terrace. Hard part with those, though, is they aren't connected to the living / gathering / entertaining areas. You have to go through the bedroom level to then access it. Still like it, but when having people over or a party the main space and outdoor space are very separate (complaint I heard from many with the Atherton Heights townhomes).

As for single family homes or bungalows being out of place here, they were here long before anything else. I personally like the little pockets of original homes in 3rd and 4th Wards -- gives a sense of 'place' and where the city was at one point and where it is now.

Comparing these to other modern townhomes in an urban setting surrounded by bungalows: Celadon -- beautiful and appealing -- it can be done, but the right setting I think is key.

I like the style, it's definitely different and eye catching. Looks like something in Vancouver or high density residential in Tokyo. It does not blend but I would take this as a neighbor any day over the gargantuan McMansions currently destroying the character of so many central Charlotte neighborhoods.

I like the style, it's definitely different and eye catching. Looks like something in Vancouver or high density residential in Tokyo. It does not blend but I would take this as a neighbor any day over the gargantuan McMansions currently destroying the character of so many central Charlotte neighborhoods.

They might look good in a neighborhood with many others like them, but the look hidious mixed with other homes. Some of the modern architecture seen around Charlotte is really ugly in my opinion. I can't believe how ugly the Imagon (not sure how it is spelled), some new condos on 9th street and the new high rise on the corner of Mint and West Trade. Sorry, give me a nice solid looking building made of brick any day. I do love the new highrise condo on Cedar (I believe). It is really a jewel. The cheap, prefab look just does nothing for me personally.

Archived