Live Music.

Gviller

I have been giving thought to doing a live music venue somewhere in downtown Greenville or in close proximity. I would love to make this happen as I think a really good live music venue would do wonders for downtown and drive some serious revenue into the area.

It would have to be something that could hold no less than 1200 people but the space needs a lot of character and access to good parking, and would also have to be far enough from residential homes so that it could stay open past midnight. I have some ideas but they are few, and if anyone has any suggestions it would help.

I dont know if anyone has ever been to the Tabernacle in Atlanta but this is the kind of venue I am talking about that would bring in acts to big for the handlebar and to small to do a BiLo center show.

A consistent presence of named Artist coming through Greenville would make downtown an even bigger draw than it already is. I know I find myself taking at least two to three trips a year to Orange Peel in Asheville or to Atlanta for the Tabernacle and I dont think I am alone. However it is also debatable if Greenville could support such a venue.

I think yes but it still might be early.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds like a great idea. I know we've talked about the need many times on here for more such venues.

If you want a sellout show bring Corey Smith. Clemson students would fill up the place by themselves if you market it to them.

As for places... somewhere in the immediate downtown area is a must, IMO. As to a specific location, I'll let someone else begin to throw those out there. This should be a fun discussion.

• 1 month later...

This is a fantastic idea and one I (and many others) have discussed at length many, many times. There is no doubt a need for this business in our city. I agree with the Tabernacle analogy, something similar would make an oustanding venue in the downtown area.

Are there any old(er) churches for sale in the immediate downtown area? There is a very small church available near the E. Park Ave Bi-Lo...but I couldn't imagine it would hold more than 250 without extreme renovations.

Getting past the typical Greenville hangups and bureacracy will always be a challenge for this sort of business due to the nature of certain factions of our city government and population. It is something that is slowly changing for the better, but it is and will be and issue for the foreseeable future.

Archived