The Brickway Residences

GRDadof3

1484130326_2f067610d9.jpg

Looks like another "affordable" condo development is coming to Monroe Center. The Brickway Residences, as they are being named, will occupy the upper floors of 56 Monroe Center above XO Asian Cuisine. The 8 condos, developed by Virgin Soil Development (Brice Bossardet and Co.), will average 800 square feet and start in the low $100's, and will include a private entrance and a rooftop deck for all residents. The upper floors of 56 Monroe Center have not been used in over 60 years, so it's great to see it put to reuse. Work is to begin this Fall.

I'm glad to see downtown developers heeding the call for affordable living. What do you guys think?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only does it fill an otherwise untapped market, but it will also help bring us closer to a critical mass of people downtown to draw attention from more retailers. With all of these empty spaces filled, we will continue to see more people downtown, and the need to build new will increase as well, helping prolong our development boom.

Also if it hasn't been used in 70 years, I wonder if there any good junk/treasures to be found up there.

I noticed Brice is making some real headway now on his project across the street from XO. He's added horizontal steel beams to the structure and now the walls inside are starting to take shape. I think keeping the price in the low $100s for these new Brickway condos is key; that's a great niche to go after.

Sounds great! I didn't realize that the space above XO was unoccupied. What about the rest fo the buildings on that stretch of Monroe Center between Ionia and Division? Anyway, the price range seems nice and 800 sqft is certainly enough space for a single person or a couple with no kids.

Any word re: parking for these? I assume they will have to pay for the city lot behind the Select Bank Building off of Ionia (this is where some Peck Building Residents park), which is $120/mo.

ETA: Are these already broken into units? I'vs often seen people coming and going from a stairwell on the east side of XO. I think there are post boxes for about 8 separate units. It seems like people already live there. Does anyone have the scoop on how the space above the restaurant is currently utilized?

Don't know on the building's current use, but according to the developer they are investing money into the project to "mitigate odor" from the restaurant, and they don't think it will be a issue. I'm sure if you contact them they can give you some more info on the details.

• 4 weeks later...

And add a *lot* of vibrancy to the city. Not only does it add people to the city, it takes unused space and brings it back to life. While Riverhouse, Icon and other big developments add life to the city, they almost feel a bit "gated" or contained. I think these smaller spaces (Fox Lofts and others included) that are in the thick of it actually add much more vitality to the city.

Joe

According to the developer, 5 of the 8 are already spoken for on this project. I think these small affordable "boutique" residential projects are going to be the rage for a while. Nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a tour of this building from Mr. Bossardet today. It's amazing that this space has gone "unused" for God knows how long. The wallpaper in some of the areas looked like it was frozen in time from the 30's or 40's. It sounds like they are also thinking of adding space to the rear of the building, and to the roof possibly creating two penthouse units, much like 65 MC. We may see some new renderings soon. Stay tuned!

1922077331_14f242e55d_b.jpg

1922899666_c6ffca446e.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived