Wii

Neo

I'm not much of a gamer. In fact, I haven't had a gaming console since NES came out and my parents bought one for my birthday. I always enjoyed playing Super Mario Brothers though and when the Wii was released last year my wife and I decided to get one but alas they were extremely hard to find (and still are). Well, last week I placed my order for one and I finally got it yesterday and we played it non-stop last night.

This is an amazing piece of technology IMO. It is amazing that I can swing the little controller just like a tennis racket and it responds to my speed, direction, etc. Tonight I plan on purchasing the Internet channel for the Wii so I can surf UP from the comfort of my TV! :P Actually, it's just so I can play slideshows from Flickr and whatnot, but it is really cool.

Does anyone else think that Nintendo hit a home run with this little device? My wife and I both just about broke a sweat playing last night. :silly:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the Wii is great. I just bought mine last week with the Zelda game. Swinging the sword and many other things are done by swinging the controller and nunchuck. What an inovative idea. Now you can get a workout while playing video games! Dont play too much of the boxing on Wii sports though, you'll have a sore are by the morning :)

No doubt the Wii will be a hit among families. But I think hardcore gamers into games like Halo, Metal of Honor, etc. will still fork over the extra dollars to get an Xbox 360 or a PS3. However the Wii seems to be a very powerful game console with a very attractive price point, $275 vs. $600 for the other platforms. So maybe that will turn the heads of atleast a few hardcore gamers. Personally, I'd want to try the system out before buying.

My wife and I were noticing last night that it is a great tool to get kids interested in the world. The news channel for instance lets you see what's happening around the world on a globe and you can zoom in and click on various news stories at their actual location. This is certainly the first console that I'm aware of that engages the family and can actually be productive for kids.

I bought a Wii back in March and I love it, my wife and I play the virtual console games more than anything so far we have 16 VC games from Super Mario to Sonic, if you are going to buy a game console I suggest buying the Wii. Also Tiger Woods 07 is great if you like to play golf.

i waited at 6:00 am outside a target on the hunch from a website that they might have them back in january. it was 14 degrees outside. i got my wii. :)

i haven't owned a console since i was a kid and we had the original NES and sega genesis (though i had a PS2 on loan from a friend while he was in grad school for a few months). my fiancee loves the wii and she generally has no interest in other video games. i use it for exercise playing tennis (which really works up a sweat if you really get into it). it's a great video game system. it's no wonder it has surpassed the xbox 360 in total sales while only being on the market for about half the time.

neo... the internet channel is great for watching youtube videos. you can play them full screen and zoom in to just the right level and it's like watching them on tv. also... the news channel has a globe again? last time i checked it, the globe was gone (though it started with the globe). i thought that was the best feature of it and then they got rid of it (unless they hid it somewhere and i just can't find it anymore).

neo... the internet channel is great for watching youtube videos. you can play them full screen and zoom in to just the right level and it's like watching them on tv. also... the news channel has a globe again? last time i checked it, the globe was gone (though it started with the globe). i thought that was the best feature of it and then they got rid of it (unless they hid it somewhere and i just can't find it anymore).

The globe is on there, I'm running the latest version of the Wii software, perhaps an update is in order on your console?

I purchased the Internet channel on Friday and noticed that I get an out of memory error when attempting a few things such as slideshows from my Flickr account. I wonder if purchasing additional memory cards for the Wii would help with this (or is that just to store VC games, etc. on)?

Toys-R-Us has a great special going on right now so my wife and I stopped by last night and picked up Wii Play to get an additional remote, Zelda, and Paper Mario. The deal was buy two and get one free so that beats the socks off of going to CostCo which we had considered doing ($50 is pricey for a game IMO which is why we were avoiding the regular stores). They also had buy one accessory get a second 50% off so we picked up a couple of classic controllers. I've got a component cable for the Wii on the way so I can look at this thing in 480p, but even at 480i it looks superb, but then coming from an NES anything would look superb. :P

The globe is on there, I'm running the latest version of the Wii software, perhaps an update is in order on your console?

I purchased the Internet channel on Friday and noticed that I get an out of memory error when attempting a few things such as slideshows from my Flickr account. I wonder if purchasing additional memory cards for the Wii would help with this (or is that just to store VC games, etc. on)?

It is a bit strange as no VC games exist on my Wii yet and I have only two saved game spaces created at the moment. The Flickr slideshow may prefetch a good bit of images though. It could just be a bug in Opera for the Wii. I guess I should search the net for an answer to why this may be occuring. I was out of town this weekend so I didn't get any play time or research time in. :(

I was skeptical about getting the Wii because of graphics, and how they haven't really had a system since n64. But the reviews seem great. I have a 360 and to be honest I hate it, the graphics are great but most games come stripped down because it takes to much load ing and space that they can't add everything. IE NCAA Football doesnt have every teams stadium, they have the major schools and the other schools are all in a bowl stadium with their names in the end zones. I may have to look at resale of my 360 and the games to eb games and see what I can get for it.

while the gamecube didn't sell very well, it was by no means "not a real system". it was a great little system, but didn't have all that much for games. nintendo royally out-did themselves with the wii and made one of the best video game consoles to ever hit the market, proving you don't need super graphics to make it in the console wars.

while the gamecube didn't sell very well, it was by no means "not a real system". it was a great little system, but didn't have all that much for games. nintendo royally out-did themselves with the wii and made one of the best video game consoles to ever hit the market, proving you don't need super graphics to make it in the console wars.

Just an update, I went through and sold back the xbox360, with 23 games, 2 wireless controllers and a guitar hero guitar. A little disappointed in what I got back (510 and change) but still good enough to get me started with the Wii. I got a new console, 2 controllers and Numchucks? or whatever they are called. Plus I got 4 games, Tiger Woods which is awesome. Super Paper Mario, which I wasn't impressed with at all to be honest. I got Wiiplay for the second controller and it isnt anything great, good to get used to the system. The other 2 games I got I haven't played yet ( been obsessed with TW08) are Zelda which I heard was great and Cooking Mama cook off which I heard was awesome. We will see how both of those games turn out. anyway needless to say the system while maybe not the best graphically is still a bunch of fun and a lot cooler than xbox360 ever was.

• 3 weeks later...

i found the globe on the wii news... i don't like that you have to go to a story to get the globe though. when it first came out, you could just click a button that said "globe", like you can with the weather channel. i wish they'd bring that back. it was more fun.

i found the globe on the wii news... i don't like that you have to go to a story to get the globe though. when it first came out, you could just click a button that said "globe", like you can with the weather channel. i wish they'd bring that back. it was more fun.

Right, it almost seems like a bug or something that they overlooked but since it acts the same way in the latest revision that came out yesterday (3.1) I doubt such. Regarding the new 3.1 release, it added USB keyboard support so you can use that with the Internet Channel, etc. Not sure if they fixed the issue with using Flash sites on the Internet Channel though, I didn't have a chance to investigate that last night.

Right, it almost seems like a bug or something that they overlooked but since it acts the same way in the latest revision that came out yesterday (3.1) I doubt such. Regarding the new 3.1 release, it added USB keyboard support so you can use that with the Internet Channel, etc. Not sure if they fixed the issue with using Flash sites on the Internet Channel though, I didn't have a chance to investigate that last night.

did you upgrade your internet channel and everyone votes channel? i didn't see a place to upgrade the news or weather channels to 3.1, i assume that was part of the system update.

Yep, I upgraded both. Because they're optional you have to go to the Wii Store and re-download/update those particular channels.

I finally got a Nintendo, and it really is an awesome piece of technology. The new Zelda game is pretty cool, but I'm enjoying the virtual console feature more. Its fun to play some of the classic games on NES and SNES that I played when I was young (especially since you cant get a game to work on those old things anymore. I've also heard Duck Hunt is being remade for this system. Very exciting :)

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone have any suggestions on a new game? I only have Zelda right now but would like to get some multiplayer games. I'd love for a new version of the Goldeney/Perfect Dark series to come out. I LOVED those games, maybe this new "gun" for the Wii will bring it about :)

Archived