Wii

Neo

Anyone have any suggestions on a new game? I only have Zelda right now but would like to get some multiplayer games. I'd love for a new version of the Goldeney/Perfect Dark series to come out. I LOVED those games, maybe this new "gun" for the Wii will bring it about :)

Super Mario Galaxy goes on sale today! My wife has told me that I can't buy it so someone can have something to get me for Christmas. :P

If you're into first person shooters you may be interested in Metroid Prime which came out recently. I've heard nothing but good reviews about it. Mario Kart Wii is also coming out at the beginning of 2008 which will offer multiplayer over the Internet which should be amazing!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i've also heard great things about super paper mario.

Having just finished up this game (I beat it the other day when I was home sick) I will say it is fairly fun, but the interludes and conversations between scenes are highly annoying and are about half of the game play. It is geared more towards younger kids IMO. Mario Galaxy should be a bit better for us 'older' kids. :P

About Wii... never played it but I eventually will get one. Sounds awesome!

My wife and I both broke a sweat last night boxing each other on Wii Sports. My side started hurting which is my reasoning for being knocked out by my wife so many times. She did give into a game of baseball afterwards of which I won but my pride is still hurt for losing to my wife at boxing. Maybe she has some pent up anger against me that I don't know about? :scared:

My wife and I both broke a sweat last night boxing each other on Wii Sports. My side started hurting which is my reasoning for being knocked out by my wife so many times. She did give into a game of baseball afterwards of which I won but my pride is still hurt for losing to my wife at boxing. Maybe she has some pent up anger against me that I don't know about? :scared:

galaxy is great; i'm halfway through it. needless to say, my kid beat it in one sleepless weekend-long sitting (DHR, here you come.) i still prefer the N64 mario game, though - galaxy takes the concept of platforming to the extreme and, perhaps illogically, makes me feel claustrophobic with its limited range of open-ended world exploration.

metroid prime 3: corruption is incredible. like galaxy, it is a little too linear in places - especially if you're a fan of the first two prime games (gamecube), with their amazing open-ended world explorations and more complex weapons systems. it's also not nearly as difficult as the first two games (echoes, especially, has some crazy-challenging gameplay), but it is still a blast and plenty difficult in places.

my biggest appreciation of the wii's control setup came after playing through corruption: the navigational / aiming abilities afforded by the wiimote should be mandatory for all FPS / shooter games on every system - yes, even halo. using the remote pointer as a more precise replacement for analog-stick aiming really points out the shortcomings of the older setup on otherwise great games, regardless of system. once you've become accustomed to it, there's no going back. that said, there are still plenty of games that are, and always will be, better served by buttons and analog sticks, and i think one of the wii's shortcomings is nintendo's desire to force every game, regardless of genre or control logic, into 'innovation' mode by making novel use of the remote pointer when buttons and control pads would do a better job. that's marketing, i guess.

my take on the quality of games for the various systems is that quality is a direct reflection of the name of the studio doing the game development. for nintendo, it's nintendo itself (zelda, mario, pikmin), retro (the three metroid prime games), and rare (banjo-kazooie & banjo-tooie; perfect dark, conker, DK64, etc.) for Xbox, it's rare (bought from nintendo and now developing only for microsoft), microsoft and bungie (the three halos), and a few others i'm less familiar with (people say bioshock is awesome; i can't recall who originally made it / ported it from the PC version). i know less about the PSx developers, but whoever did ico and shadow of the colossus for PS2 should definitely have a shot at developing games for PS3.

in terms of graphics, i think they've gone as far as they really need to for purposes of distinctive art design and compelling gameplay. the wii lacks the graphical muscle of its competitors, but come on - look at the art design for corruption and tell me the graphics impede the game's vision. i still think the sanctuary fortress level of gamecube's metroid prime 2: echoes is the most mind-blowing artistic achievement of any game i've played - even with last-gen graphics. i've heard raves about the art deco theme of bioshock (PC; 360), but i've not seen it firsthand.

hate to sound like a game nerd with all the name-dropping, etc. i don't play that much, but the good games i do play have left lasting impressions...obviously...but that's the idea, in'n it?

can't wait for another zelda game...but that'll be years. ocarina of time and majora's mask are my all-time favorite games.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got a Nintendo, and it really is an awesome piece of technology. The new Zelda game is pretty cool, but I'm enjoying the virtual console feature more. Its fun to play some of the classic games on NES and SNES that I played when I was young (especially since you cant get a game to work on those old things anymore. I've also heard Duck Hunt is being remade for this system. Very exciting :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived