Time travel

dimebag1980

I didn't feel a poll was in order here, mainly because I'm not really interested in knowing how many people believe or are interested in time travel. Sure I want to know if you feel it's even possible, but do you have any specific theories which make you believe in it more or less? There are many theories out there, and perhaps you have your own... if so, share it. If not, do you believe in worm holes, faster-than-light travel, or what?

I've been on a time travel kick lately and I have begun to conjure my own idea. I stop short of calling it a theory because I don't know it to be based on any known facts or even testable... thus it can't be classified as a scientific theory. The mathematics involved may be too much for me and I may not end up with a theory. Even researching specific scientific facts might end this "idea" of mine well short of becoming a theory.

The subject of time travel is absolutely mind-boggling and there are so many theories floating around already. So I ask... have you any thoughts? Theories? Anything you want to share on the subject? I could read about this topic forever, and this thread could give me things to consider that I haven't considered before.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe time travel is possible. I don't think I would want to have that happen anyway, that would just cause major major problems in the universe.

However, I would be down for matter transport ... like in the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror (IX?) episode. That would be cool, to be able to go from anywhere to anywhere else instantaneously. And yet, I highly suspect the possibility of that too.

I don't think that time travel is possible, in the sense that we could travel back in time and see something. But we see history whenever we look up into the sky. We can see stars that are millions of lightyears away. That means that the light that we are seeing has reached us after traveling at the speed of light for millions of years.

If our sun suddenly went black, it would be some time before we even knew it.

I am privy, however, to the idea that "space time" can be bent so that we could travel nearly instantly to different parts of the universe that would take millions or billions of years in more conventional methods.

I see space as a 3-dimensional trampoline. The gravity of objects moving through space are like a giant ball on a taut trampoline. That ball will still exert force on the trampoline, and if you roll another ball around the giant ball in the middle, it will roll towards the giant ball.

Space operates in much the same way. Couldn't it be possible to bend this "trampoline" of sorts so that two points that are actually quite far apart are touching, and just take a quick drive through them and come out on the other side, "billions" miles away?

I see it as the only that we could ever explore space outside of our own solar system.

And in this respect, time travel into the future is possible, in a way. If we were to bend space and travel to, say, beyond Neptune, and then, with a very powerful telescope, look at the surface of the earth, we'd be seeing events that took place a decade ago. Hell, we could watch Clinton give his "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" speech live! At least... we could watch it. It would be much longer before we could hear it :)

Time Travel is possible it least in the sense of going to the future. check out Einstein's theory. I believe there are wormholes which could allow interstellar travel, Space and gravity can warp time. For example, you could go through a worm hole from one point of the universe to the other in 5 hours. during that time period earth could have aged 5 years.

going back in time could be possible. I believe in God and if God makes it possible it can happen. Who knows, maybe it can and man just dont have the know how or capabilty in doing that. Some things just arent meant for man to know how to do....thats just my opinion.

Could you imagine how we would handle that 'capability.' I know many a bad scifi movie and series have broached the subject.. I mean like one minute you exist and then someone goes into the past and 'poof' you're gone and the whole world is changed. While it may be 'possible', I hope it's something we as humans never master.

Could you imagine how we would handle that 'capability.' I know many a bad scifi movie and series have broached the subject.. I mean like one minute you exist and then someone goes into the past and 'poof' you're gone and the whole world is changed. While it may be 'possible', I hope it's something we as humans never master.

I don't believe in time travel but I do believe in parallel universes. I believe it is possible through some type of fold in the universe to travel to different similar worlds where every scenario has been played out in a universe of its own. Things happen for a reason, in your own universe. They happen for a completely different reason in another universe, but it is the correct outcome, no matter what choice was made, for that universe.

hhhmmm.... i believe it is possible.

if you haven't heard of dr. ron mallett - you should check him out. i heard his story on NPR a year or so ago... a beautiful and poignant story (it broke my heart). anyways, i think he is on to something here.

here he explains the concept of his time travel machine:

here is a rudimentry explenation of the possibility of time travel (featuring mallett):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=63...h&plindex=2

I think if someone could go back and change something, it wouldnt effect us because from our perspective that person would be in an "alternative timeline" the reality for the person who went back in time wouldnt be the reality for us. similar to what Neo describes. Then Neo could be right that there are just parallel universes with duplicate earths and timelines that play out differently. In one parallel universe you may be a graphic artist and in another you might be a muderer facing 30 years in prison. In another parallel universe you might be a clown in a traveling circus. There was a movie made off this concept, cant remember the name but an Asian guy starred in it. This concept was also mentioned in one of the Matrix movies.

I believe anything is possible. Should we do it, no. Imagine if they did develop time machines and made a tourist attraction out of it. That would be horrible for people in the past! Then imagine all the things that would change for simple actions. I'd rather be able to view the past and not interact with it.

Oh and sunlight takes 8 minutes to get from the sun to here.

I believe anything is possible. Should we do it, no. Imagine if they did develop time machines and made a tourist attraction out of it. That would be horrible for people in the past! Then imagine all the things that would change for simple actions. I'd rather be able to view the past and not interact with it.

Oh and sunlight takes 8 minutes to get from the sun to here.

Very nice responses! Honestly I wasn't sure how well-received this topic would be, so I expected maybe 5 responses tops. I'm glad to see that it exceeded my expectations and that I achieved dialogue on the topic amongst responders. That's awesome, and I will come back to this topic soon to add more of my own thoughts. Ready or not, my mind is a very, very scary place at times. :P

But seriously, I'll be pretty busy tomorrow and will be out of town for a friend's funeral on Wednesday but by the end of the week I should be back on this thread.

Thanks for commenting! :)

Brian

Archived