Detroit, the Ultimate entertainment destination

TheDetroitCity99

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Detroit is taking the right steps in order to become an entertainment destination, perhaps not on a regional basis just yet, but certainly for people in the state of Michigan. Three Detroit professional sports teams are very close to one another, there is a great deal more restaurants and entertainment venues now than there was ten or fifteen years ago, and most importantly, the younger generation has shed the image in their minds as Detroit as a post-apocalyptic war zone. Many people who are in their 50s on from the suburbs and other parts of the state are still left with an image of 1970s and 1980s Detroit and how bad it looked statistically.

One thing that has never made sense to me is that there is such a lack of development along the waterfront that would make it a destination for people who may want to boat from Chicago, Traverse City, Milwaukee, Petoskey, Harbor Springs, etc. and dock in Detroit for a while, maybe catch a Tigers game and do some gambling or drinking, and so on. Another concern comes from the lack of interest in living in the city as opposed to driving to visit it, but I think that comes in time as people become more comfortable with the idea and the basic things necessary (grocery stores and the like).

Making it a destination takes time because Detroit is commonly associated with crime and corruption and a poor economy and nobody wants to select a place like that when the other places appear to have much more to offer, including good weather ;) I do not see the appeal in having Detroit develop like Atlanta or Miami with condos at places called things like The ___ at ___ ___ or trying to be like New York or Chicago with the same types of buildings and trying to create a culture through a lifted environment. Just give it some time and make people comfortable with visiting the city for whatever they are there for, and give opportunities for every season and each visitors' interest.

My god it pisses me off when people try to compare cities when dealing with crime, corruption and unemployment based on the friggin weather and how many stupid condos they have. By now, everyone in the world knows that Detroit is essentially not a safe city. Sure you probebly need to be dealing drugs or hanging around the very worst people if you really want to be murdered. The same can be said for both Atlanta and Miami. But how much better is their crime and unemployment. There really is no index for corruption, but last I knew, Miami was pretty bad. Never heard much of Atlanta being a corrupt place. But as for crime, here are the stats from 2006 by the FBI Uniform Crime Report of these three cities.

Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI MSA Violent Crime Rate of 672.2 per 100,000

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA Violent Crime Rate of 512.5 per 100,000

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL MSA Violent Crime Rate of 813.1 per 100,000

Wow, Miami is the loser, and also has the highest violent crime rate in the U.S.

Now compare unemployment rates between these three cities and Detroit is the loser by far.

Detroit 7.9

Atlanta 4.4

Miami 4.1

But it is nowhere near the highest rates in the U.S., which by the way are in sunny Yuma, AZ (20.3%) and El Centro, CA (20.7%)

The south in general has a higher crime rate overall by far in the U.S. makeing up 41.6% of all violent crime. The midwest comes in third at 18.8%.

There, let me have it.

Yeah, Atlanta's weather is not great. It is mildly warmer than Detroit in the winter (with little or no snow) and cooler than Detroit in the summer. Crime is bad, but not that bad north of midtown and downtown, and every new condo project looks the same and 'urban living' is as kitchy as it comes with big box retailers anchoring new developments. Traffic sucks too.

The best part about it is that it is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and is in the process of developing a much-needed identity and the efforts to build more densely, while very plastic looking, are working and you can see the city attracting more people to its core and staying.

Yeah, Atlanta's weather is not great. It is mildly warmer than Detroit in the winter (with little or no snow) and cooler than Detroit in the summer. Crime is bad, but not that bad north of midtown and downtown, and every new condo project looks the same and 'urban living' is as kitchy as it comes with big box retailers anchoring new developments. Traffic sucks too.

The best part about it is that it is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and is in the process of developing a much-needed identity and the efforts to build more densely, while very plastic looking, are working and you can see the city attracting more people to its core and staying.

out of curiosity, what is that identity? I still really don't associate Atlanta with anything in particular really (I'm not being critical of this, its just my perception). It seems that cities can no longer really create identities like they did in the past. The days of one-horse towns like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland seem to be fading. Knowing Detroit's difficulties with this exact situation, its probably not a bad thing. To me, it sounds like Atlanta is kind of a Denver of the east.

No it's not. It is a measurable fact that Atlanta is a much hotter and more humid city than Detroit in the summer. If you really think that a city that is over 700 miles further away from the Equator than Atlanta is going to be hotter in the summer you are crazy.;) Hell, there are days in the Winter where Detroit may see an unseasonably warm day (say 50

No it's not. It is a measurable fact that Atlanta is a much hotter and more humid city than Detroit in the summer. If you really think that a city that is over 700 miles further away from the Equator than Atlanta is going to be hotter in the summer you are crazy.;) Hell, there are days in the Winter where Detroit may see an unseasonably warm day (say 50

Atlanta doesn't matter. It's running out of water in a few days. But I hear they are extending and widening Peachtree Street up to Lake Huron to siphon its water. There's rumors they're also sending skyscraper trucks to sneak some of our downtown buildings back with them as well. Th'Bastids!

• 2 weeks later...
Atlanta doesn't matter. It's running out of water in a few days. But I hear they are extending and widening Peachtree Street up to Lake Huron to siphon its water. There's rumors they're also sending skyscraper trucks to sneak some of our downtown buildings back with them as well. Th'Bastids!

Archived