Are McFadden's Heisman Hopes Over?

Mith242

Are McFadden's Heisman Hopes Over?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Are McFadden's Heisman Hopes Over?

• Yes
    • No

I think the one thing that got me back into watching the football games after all the drama offseason was McFadden. I think a lot of people will still say he is the most talented player in College football right now. But at the same time, Heisman winners are usually on good teams. Especially in recent years, good players on bad or mediocre teams just aren't picked to win it. I'm afraid if Arkansas keeps this up his chances are going to start dropping. Maybe if Arkansas finishes the season well it will offset some of these early losses. But I'm not sure if that's going to happen. Maybe when Monk is back will start getting a bit more of a passing game. Otherwise all the teams are just going to stack the defense on the line. I just think the defenses in the SEC are too good for a team to try to be one dimensional like we are.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if McFadden's hopes for the Heisman are over but the next two weeks will not help. He has already missed parts of two games and it is just the start of the season. ESPN projects him to have over 340 rushing attempts this year. He is already at 86 after 3 games. Will the Arkansas offense wear him out before the end of the season? The year Reggie Bush won he carried the ball only 200 times. The last 4 games of the regular season will tell and it is a good chance that Arkansas could go 1-3 during this time. If Arkansas ends up 8-4 or 7-5 I think his chances are over.

I don't know if McFadden's hopes for the Heisman are over but the next two weeks will not help. He has already missed parts of two games and it is just the start of the season. ESPN projects him to have over 340 rushing attempts this year. He is already at 86 after 3 games. Will the Arkansas offense wear him out before the end of the season? The year Reggie Bush won he carried the ball only 200 times. The last 4 games of the regular season will tell and it is a good chance that Arkansas could go 1-3 during this time. If Arkansas ends up 8-4 or 7-5 I think his chances are over.

Ironically the ESPN 'experts' have McFadden solidifying the top position on their Heisman Watch. Some of them had been giving McFadden some low votes had finally started giving him higher votes and actually solidifying his lead. But I've also seen other sites drop him down. Just because ESPN still respects him doesn't mean he'll win it. But you hope that maybe people will still recognize how good he is and maybe he can buck the trend of the Heisman going to a player on a good team.

Ironically the ESPN 'experts' have McFadden solidifying the top position on their Heisman Watch. Some of them had been giving McFadden some low votes had finally started giving him higher votes and actually solidifying his lead. But I've also seen other sites drop him down. Just because ESPN still respects him doesn't mean he'll win it. But you hope that maybe people will still recognize how good he is and maybe he can buck the trend of the Heisman going to a player on a good team.

I think most here are right: his chances are pretty much over.

Even the most amazing talent seen in years can be squandered when led by an incompetent coach. (That said, McFadden has been doing pretty amazing on his own considering he often has to carry the team singlehandedly on his back.)

Fire Nutt.

On the bright side, now that I have no expectations for Razorback football this season, I don't have any anxiety. Hence, focusing on homework is much easier...

My dad says Felix Jones should be the Heisman winner. It's not such a bad idea. How bad is our passing game when we have to have two great running backs run the offense? I wonder how much passing was happening on Barry Sanders' team.

Anyways, Heisman is a joke anyways. I don't see why anyone wants to win, they never do anything after winning the Heisman. If the Heisman went to the truly best players we'd have a real award, instead we have the class act who can win games and put up reputable yards as a junior or senior. It's too political.

My dad says Felix Jones should be the Heisman winner. It's not such a bad idea. How bad is our passing game when we have to have two great running backs run the offense? I wonder how much passing was happening on Barry Sanders' team.

Anyways, Heisman is a joke anyways. I don't see why anyone wants to win, they never do anything after winning the Heisman. If the Heisman went to the truly best players we'd have a real award, instead we have the class act who can win games and put up reputable yards as a junior or senior. It's too political.

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread: unless AR wins out, McFadden has virtually zero percent chance of winning the trophy. And AR has virtually zero percent chance of winning out. The team could very well end up with a losing record.

But don't feel too bad for McFadden as he's going to make $$$ in the NFL next season. It should be fun to watch his professional career.

For this rest of this year, and at the risk of stating the painfully obvious, AR desperately needs to start improving its passing game and pass defense. I'm just shocked at the ineptitude in those areas every Saturday. The team had the same weaknesses last year . . . why are they even worse this year? Here's the not-so-secret secret to winning against AR: make them pass. And if the opposing team has a servicable passing attack, it's game over.

Regarding Nutt's termination, most of the alumni and boosters would likely be all for it, but who would replace him? Assuming the two are comparable, the basketball program's difficulty in recruiting a new head coach last year demonstrated that top-shelf coaches are not exactly chomping at the bit to come to the UofA. And proven, winning football coaches are almost as rare as players with talent like McFadden. I suspect AR is stuck with Nutt for a few more years. He'll probably resign before before the athletic department gets around to firing him. Also, does anyone remember the Crow experiment and the woeful years under Ford? Nutt is definitely not a championship caliber coach, but he's also not the worst either.

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread: unless AR wins out, McFadden has virtually zero percent chance of winning the trophy. And AR has virtually zero percent chance of winning out. The team could very well end up with a losing record.

But don't feel too bad for McFadden as he's going to make $$$ in the NFL next season. It should be fun to watch his professional career.

For this rest of this year, and at the risk of stating the painfully obvious, AR desperately needs to start improving its passing game and pass defense. I'm just shocked at the ineptitude in those areas every Saturday. The team had the same weaknesses last year . . . why are they even worse this year? Here's the not-so-secret secret to winning against AR: make them pass. And if the opposing team has a servicable passing attack, it's game over.

Regarding Nutt's termination, most of the alumni and boosters would likely be all for it, but who would replace him? Assuming the two are comparable, the basketball program's difficulty in recruiting a new head coach last year demonstrated that top-shelf coaches are not exactly chomping at the bit to come to the UofA. And proven, winning football coaches are almost as rare as players with talent like McFadden. I suspect AR is stuck with Nutt for a few more years. He'll probably resign before before the athletic department gets around to firing him. Also, does anyone remember the Crow experiment and the woeful years under Ford? Nutt is definitely not a championship caliber coach, but he's also not the worst either.

McFadden got around 120 yards, but left the game early. I'm wondering if he'll be able to go through the season like this. But as I mentioned before, perhaps he is aided a bit in that ranked teams with their own Heisman candidates keep losing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived