Down Town LR: What does the Future Hold?

LRguy21

What do you think the future holds for Down Town LR? The River Market? The Theater Arts District? Shopping? Living? What about another high rise? There have been 2 to 3 new high rises in the past 5 years, but no big skyscraper. Does LR have the demand for Another Skyscraper? I think another 30-40 story would be soooo cool. it would add alot to the skyline. Im thinking of anything in the next 10-15 years.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you think the future holds for Down Town LR? The River Market? The Theater Arts District? Shopping? Living? What about another high rise? There have been 2 to 3 new high rises in the past 5 years, but no big skyscraper. Does LR have the demand for Another Skyscraper? I think another 30-40 story would be soooo cool. it would add alot to the skyline. Im thinking of anything in the next 10-15 years.

• 5 weeks later...

Little Rock is among the country's top 10 markets to watch for commercial real estate investors, according to Sperry Van Ness, a commercial real estate advisory firm of Irvine, Calif. Check out the link at Arkansas Business:

http://arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?a...l&link=perm

Pretty interesting and encouraging observations in the article.

Little Rock is among the country's top 10 markets to watch for commercial real estate investors, according to Sperry Van Ness, a commercial real estate advisory firm of Irvine, Calif. Check out the link at Arkansas Business:

http://arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?a...l&link=perm

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/ipb_seo.php?url=http://arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?a...l&link=perm' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/arkansasbusiness_com');">http://arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?a...l&link=perm</a>

It is hard to tell where you are thinking about when you say downtown neighborhoods. Perhaps you are thinking about areas between Capitol and I-630, south of I-630 and areas around the Governor's Mansion. There are overlay districts (Central City and MacArthur Park) that govern the redevelopment of much of the "downtown neighborhoods." The Overlay Districts were put in place to keep the architectural integrity of the area in tact. The makes remodeling more expensive. I think this will keep residential redevelopment at about the same pace it has been. I think you'd have to see some significant redevelopment down Main Street, before you see much any significant variation from the current pace.

The new condo towers have created a new downtown neighborhood.

I know this was mentioned on another post, but I have been noticing the new Regions Bank signs going up on their branches in the area. I wonder how this is going to be incorporated on there downtown highrise. New lettering, the new logo and color scheme, new lighting for the hq? I'm not too sure about the new color scheme. I liked the darker green better than the lime green they have now.

I know this was mentioned on another post, but I have been noticing the new Regions Bank signs going up on their branches in the area. I wonder how this is going to be incorporated on there downtown highrise. New lettering, the new logo and color scheme, new lighting for the hq? I'm not too sure about the new color scheme. I liked the darker green better than the lime green they have now.

According to the Democrat Gazette, Starbucks may be coming to the Statehouse Convention Center. The A&P commission sees this a way to possibly draw more conventions. They feel that other convention centers have a Starbucks outlet and Statehouse needs one as well. They want to place it at the eastern end of the convention center with access to outside so that it would be easily accessible to those in the area.

I figured that Starbucks would come to the River Market area, but I didn't think it would be at the convention center

According to the Democrat Gazette, Starbucks may be coming to the Statehouse Convention Center. The A&P commission sees this a way to possibly draw more conventions. They feel that other convention centers have a Starbucks outlet and Statehouse needs one as well. They want to place it at the eastern end of the convention center with access to outside so that it would be easily accessible to those in the area.

I figured that Starbucks would come to the River Market area, but I didn't think it would be at the convention center

Andina's is just down the street and has more character.

I like that open area on the eastern end. It's a good gathering place and a byway to and fro the Korean gate.

Not sure I like this idea. I guess I'll have to see how it looks.

Can't they just buy the restaurant at the corner of Scott and Clinton? Or the Arkansas gift store thing by Block II lofts. Neither of those places seemed to be getting much business when I visited.

I go to a fair number of national conventions and smaller meetings and I can tell you that this IS something the Convention Center is lacking. Most CCs have built in restaurants and coffeeshops so that you can grab something during breaks between sessions. Now, one can argue Andina's or another local company would be a better fit but I think putting a coffeeshop in the CC is a no-brainer.

Hey everyone!

I have been a constant visitor to this forum for quite sometime now. I have never posted anythong but since I am now living dowtown I thought this would be a good place to start.

I think the future of downtown Little Rock is really looking up, with all that has been added and with projects on drawing boards not annouced yet. All it will take is more people moving out of the burbs and into the central city to really get things moving. In fact I believe that is the key to getting almost everything I have seen you guys wanting for our city.

You want a grocery downtown? Move a couple thousand in and one of the grocery chains will take notice. Same thing for a Movie Theatre.

What Jimmy Moses and Rhett Tucker are doing is what will help get the population density where it needs to be. What the rest of us need to do is support the new things that do move into the city. A good example is Crush Wine Bar...that place is a great addition to the downtown area, and I hope it does well. I have been hoping for a real wine bar in Little Rock for a long time, now that there is one it is my responsibilty to frequent the place. I feel the same way about Copper Grill & Grocery. I live in 300 3rd, and I take every opportunity to dine and shop there.

We just all need to be patient, the good stuff is on the way, and I personally know of a couple projects that have not been announced yet that will be very exciting.

Hey everyone!

I have been a constant visitor to this forum for quite sometime now. I have never posted anythong but since I am now living dowtown I thought this would be a good place to start.

I think the future of downtown Little Rock is really looking up, with all that has been added and with projects on drawing boards not annouced yet. All it will take is more people moving out of the burbs and into the central city to really get things moving. In fact I believe that is the key to getting almost everything I have seen you guys wanting for our city.

You want a grocery downtown? Move a couple thousand in and one of the grocery chains will take notice. Same thing for a Movie Theatre.

What Jimmy Moses and Rhett Tucker are doing is what will help get the population density where it needs to be. What the rest of us need to do is support the new things that do move into the city. A good example is Crush Wine Bar...that place is a great addition to the downtown area, and I hope it does well. I have been hoping for a real wine bar in Little Rock for a long time, now that there is one it is my responsibilty to frequent the place. I feel the same way about Copper Grill & Grocery. I live in 300 3rd, and I take every opportunity to dine and shop there.

We just all need to be patient, the good stuff is on the way, and I personally know of a couple projects that have not been announced yet that will be very exciting.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone else noticed the article a few days ago in the Democrat Gazette about the NCAA tournament and how the eight teams would be staying in four hotels (two teams sharing a hotel) because the market didn't have 8 full service hotels large enough to accomodate each team. The NCAA, in the past, has required 8 full service hotels to accomodate the teams. I don't know if this is an exception for Little Rock or that they will allow this from now on. If Little Rock wants to be considered for future tournaments another convention hotel needs to be built downtown. This has been discussed in the past, but this is another small reason why another convention hotel needs to be built. The Courtyard Marriott and the Hampton Inn will serve a purpose, but anther full service hotel is needed as well.

Archived