Down Town LR: What does the Future Hold?

LRguy21

I don't know if anyone else noticed the article a few days ago in the Democrat Gazette about the NCAA tournament and how the eight teams would be staying in four hotels (two teams sharing a hotel) because the market didn't have 8 full service hotels large enough to accomodate each team. The NCAA, in the past, has required 8 full service hotels to accomodate the teams. I don't know if this is an exception for Little Rock or that they will allow this from now on. If Little Rock wants to be considered for future tournaments another convention hotel needs to be built downtown. This has been discussed in the past, but this is another small reason why another convention hotel needs to be built. The Courtyard Marriott and the Hampton Inn will serve a purpose, but anther full service hotel is needed as well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is anything in the works? I agree LR downtown needs another full service hotel. Amazing NWA can get a 4-star Renaissance hotel and a Westin but LR has trouble getting another full service hotel when it badly needs it. I have heard of business travelers to downtown having to stay all the way out in West LR or Maumelle. That is unacceptable.

I would agree with that assessment. It lacks its own restaurants, etc. It's still a nice midlevel.

That said, I think we've been getting a better product than NWA with hotels like the Capitol, Doubletree and Peabody and even the Wyndham. Nobody around here gets excited about something like Embassy Suites, which is kind of the Benton Co hub right now. I am hoping someday we'll see another big downtown hotel. We will when Stephens gets ready to use that site next to the Capitol.

NWA seems to load up on the smaller "Express" or "Limited" types of smaller limited-service hotels. They line Walton Blvd and Rogers.

The new Renaissance hotel they are getting in NWA is going to blow away anything currently in Little Rock except for maybe the Capitol Hotel. It is Marriott's more upscale full-service hotel. They have one of those in downtown OKC, and it really is a jewel. Think of it as a very upscale Embassy Suites. Something like that is what downtown LR needs.

• 5 months later...
Then you will like this. The old Dillards headquarters is currently being gutted. From things I have read it is in preperation for some various state agencies to move in. There are huge dumpsters in the parking lot next to it full of insulation and various other things being trashed from the inside. I drive by it everyday.

Can anyone confirm if the state is confirmed to be moving in?

Thanks for the info on the Baldwin headquarters adman.

• 4 weeks later...

The following was from River Market Tower's website dated yesterday(8-25-2008). " A new hotel announcement will be made within the next few weeks- a new concept for Little Rock that will fit the downtown "urban vibe".More information to come. " Anybody know anything?

The following was from River Market Tower's website dated yesterday(8-25-2008). " A new hotel announcement will be made within the next few weeks- a new concept for Little Rock that will fit the downtown "urban vibe".More information to come. " Anybody know anything?

Archived