Holly Park Shopping Center Redux

Gard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

extending that road along the south edge of that property to Industrial would require a portion of the Alcatel plant property, which wraps around the eastern edge of the Holly Park property, according to Imaps...Alcatel/ITT is still tangled up with environmental contamination issues. I don't know which way the plume under that site is heading, but if its north across Holly Park, that could impact/limit redevelopment of Holly Park by sending costs through the roof. (i.e. because excavated soil would be contaminated...)

• 1 month later...

It has been years since I looked at this issue (long story) but I think that the soil contamination at Alcatel is limited to the Alcatel site, so if the contamination does go offsite, it would be only in the groundwater. Groundwater contamination should be at some depth there, so I wouldn't think it would cause soil disposal issues at Holly Park. Especially since the level of the Holly Park site is mostly raised above the Alcatel site. Plus, I recall that groundwater follows surface gradient around there, which means it heads down toward the WF/6F intersection.

I also recall that the old Raleigh City landfill was under the old Pepsi plant (can anyone confirm this?) which is now the Costco. Talk about an environmental issue...and that didn't stop that development!

It has been years since I looked at this issue (long story) but I think that the soil contamination at Alcatel is limited to the Alcatel site, so if the contamination does go offsite, it would be only in the groundwater. Groundwater contamination should be at some depth there, so I wouldn't think it would cause soil disposal issues at Holly Park. Especially since the level of the Holly Park site is mostly raised above the Alcatel site. Plus, I recall that groundwater follows surface gradient around there, which means it heads down toward the WF/6F intersection.

I also recall that the old Raleigh City landfill was under the old Pepsi plant (can anyone confirm this?) which is now the Costco. Talk about an environmental issue...and that didn't stop that development!

My 86 year old neighbor from the former Whitaker Park apartments, told me that the landfill was quite extensive and specifically said it was under the car dealerships. This makes sense if you look at the typical soils around the creek up near Kiawanis and notice that on both sides of the creek the ground does seem several feet higher....it would have been swampy marshland for a a hundred feet or so off each creek bank. Interesting. Also the Civel War era camp Crabtree was located here, mostly on teh north side of the creek. One of the old Mills here produced gun powder...not sure if Civil War era operations such as this would have a lasting environmental effect or not, but the coal/gas plant downtown from the 1870's left a lot of soil that had to be removed for the convention center.

I do not recall the exact location, only recall that some of the offsite groundwater wells for the Alcatel investigation, at/near the old Pepsi plant, turned up trash at depth during their construction. The explanation was, and I don't remember from whom, that it was the "old Raleigh landfill". It was likely closed before landfills were "closed" under Subtitle D, so may not be on any official state list. I remember it, obviously, cause that is not something you see often!

• 6 months later...

FYI, the renovation of the shopping center is underway...the old Taco Bell building has been demolished and work is proceeding on an addition to the Melting Pot building to (presumably) house the rental car place. Addition doesn't appear large enough to house car rental place, so maybe Melting Pot is moving somewhere else in the shopping center?

I think I read somewhere that the paint store (Benjamin Moore) is moving into the shopping center itself and Enterprise will get that space and Melting Pot will expand where it is. But that was a while ago and I want to say it was the N&O's Taking Stock, but that could just be me filling in the blanks.

• 1 month later...

fyi for those who don't drive by this spot regularly, but construction is underway both on the old gym location, and on a new building that will be located about where the old Taco Bell was...I haven't seen any plans for the center, but I'm guessing they might be going for something a little more neo-urban than the old L-shaped row of stores facing out onto a vast square of asphalt...

^^^

The road widening is a state project and was planned by NCDOT back in 2005 IIRC. The primary purpose that the state gives for it is that it is to eliminate the bottleneck there created by traffic from the beltline.

I live near here and my big hope is that with the road widening, they still maintain sidewalks and encourage pedestrian traffic under the bridge. It is amazing how many people walk this area and without a good sidewalk, you might as well build a wall and put a gate under the bridge since the beltline acts much like a wall.

Talk about traffic at this location, a few years ago I ran out of gas at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon right under the bridge. Needless to say I was not a popular guy. A guy stopped and took me to a gas station and I got out of there but my lack of watching the gas needle caused a fairly large traffic jam. :dontknow:

Archived