Panther Fans and the 2007/08 season

Charlotte_native

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that I'm in Titans country, I'm lucky if I can even find the Panthers on TV. Nevertheless, my thoughts:

- What's with all the gloom and doom? We're a winning team right now. Granted, the wins are over powder-puffs; but it's a hell of a lot better being 2-1 than 0-3. If we win Sunday (and we should), we'll be in total control of a very weak division. That smells like a playoff berth to me, which is about as optimistic an outcome as you can expect in Week 4.

- The secondary is not the problem; the defensive line is the problem. Every QB we've faced has had time to check down to third and fourth receivers. No team in the league wins when that happens. You could have a Pro Bowl secondary, but with no QB pressure they're going to get lit up by a smart offense. And I don't think that blitzes are a solution (that leads to more coverage problems); we simply HAVE to see better production from the D-line.

- We look better as a running team than as a passing team this year. In fact, this team reminds me an awful lot of the Super Bowl squad in that respect. If Foster can bulldoze linebackers like he did last week, and Williams learns the art of one-cut rushing, that's going to be a nasty combination for other teams' defenses to try and figure out.

- I don't get the frustration with the offensive coordination. We're a hell of a lot more creative this year. The fact that we're finally using the tight end as a receiver is big progress. Also, the coaches found a way to make Steve Smith effective last week, even though he hardly touched the ball. That's creative coaching, and light-years beyond what we saw the past two seasons.

- Frankly, I think Carr is as good a bet as Delhomme. Remember that Jake came off the bench as an unknown at one time. Carr would be coming off the bench as a first-overall pick and veteran starter. The fact that he never won in Houston isn't an indication that he can't play ball.

I had the pleasure of going to the game today. It was a beautiful day to see an awful, awful game.

The only 2 bright spots (that I can remember) was stopping the Bucs on the 1 yard line TWICE, and the full 360 that Carr did in the air to gain a first down. Besides that, I can't think of anything outstanding on the Panthers end.

But the weather was perfect!! :good:

Carr wasn't awful, but he wasn't really good. I did like Carr's amazing jump - that was a highlight for sure. The receivers didn't catch very well and there were tons of missed opportunities. Carr wasn't throwing amazingly well either. The defense was decent, but overall we just sucked it up today. I hated some of the offensive play calls. Hopefully next week we can pick our game up in Nawlins.

Coaching. The players didn't play well at all, terribly actually, but with any business or team, eventually it becomes the responsibility of the person in charge. The players do not appear fired up, no energy, and as stated above, our plans never seem to change or be very ingenious. Yesterday we looked like it was OK to go through the motions of a game.

Man oh man what did my eyes see. Like I said NO FIRE. Kris Jenkins confirmed what I said in a locker room interview. He basically called his team out. Saying he doesn't know if the guys around him want to play. He also stated there is no passion and when the team is winning it gets in to the teams head and they expect to win with minimal effort. There are a few people to blame on this. 1. John Fox-He needs to get in these boys faces and get hard on them. This total lack of effort falls on his shoulder. Being a players coach does not help an underachieving team. 2. Turgo needs to go-His bend and don't break does not fit the talent of players he has. Plus it is obvious he does not know how to adjust on the fly and call a different game when things aren't going to plan. 3. Matt Hurney needs to take a journey...away from Charlotte. He has made several bad player decisions and now we see what happens when you have a high player turnover with no plan or team identity to guide you. To exclamate this point there is no vocal leader on defense. No calming vet on that side of the ball get in all of the players faces and tell them to man up. Dan Morgan needs to call it career-like 2 years ago. Why we held on to him is beyond me. No young pupil to learn from Mike Minter so he can step in and take his place. Special teams coach-gotta go. Our special teams(kickoff,punt) are worse this year than last year. Why are we not getting Steve the ball.

Message to Davidson-GET STEVE THE BALL. Message to Davidson-Run the ball instead of passing for the whole first quarter. Message to Davidson-run some screen passes to D-will. Message to Davidson-chill with the 5 wide sets. Message to Davidson-Brad Hoover should not be your primary read in those 5 wide sets. Message to Davidson-Tell John Fox to back off and use YOUR offensive playbook and let the ghost Dan Henning rest. Message to John Fox-the Saints will be hungry for a win you better get your team fired up or else watch the Bucs walk away with this division...anything else I miss.

Things that made me happy about Sunday's game:

Peppers was in it, like, really in it!

Carr did well -- not great, but quite well

Kasay seems dependable again! Makes a big difference when you only have to get to the 30 or so and still have good chances for points.

The defense looked completely different than last week.

Steve Smith -- just can't say enough.

Fox showed emotion. It is about time -- how can you expect your team to get fired up if you don't.

Things that made me happy about Sunday's game:

Peppers was in it, like, really in it!

Carr did well -- not great, but quite well

Kasay seems dependable again! Makes a big difference when you only have to get to the 30 or so and still have good chances for points.

The defense looked completely different than last week.

Steve Smith -- just can't say enough.

Fox showed emotion. It is about time -- how can you expect your team to get fired up if you don't.

Archived