Panther Fans and the 2007/08 season

Charlotte_native

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually he played the game hurt. He only came back after a seemingly sufficient amount of painkillers and shots, if you read the interview with him after the game he was in a great deal of pain throughout the rest of the game. He actually missed practice today because of his back, so he is obviously not ok now. He will probably play Sunday, but we'll see if his pain threshhold is as great as it was for the texans.

Carr's comments after the game were pretty revealing: he basically said that the pain was incapacitating and the team doctors pumped him so full of drugs that he couldn't feel anything in his back (sounds pretty damned scary when you say it like that; there really ought to be a law requiring oversight of these situations). If he plays Sunday it will likely be under heavy medication, the type that causes you not to notice severe injuries until hours later. This could be a very bad situation for all involved.

If Testaverde is in, I'd expect the Panthers to pass no more than 15 times in the game. Most of those will be short, because god knows Vinny doesn't have the arm he used to. We'll have to have a ball-control offense with at least a couple of handoffs to Smith on end-arounds. It's not going to be a pretty game, that's for sure.

The upside is that Matt Leinart is out for the Cards. If we can get Warner rattled we might just see a field goal contest, which is what you want when you're on your third QB.

Lets just say that I must digress from the gloom I posted earlier however lets see Vinny in action against a better pass rush than the Cards. The only knock I have with Vnny is he throws wild passes under pressure (just like Jake) instead of throwing the ball away. All in all I was impressed with his performance and the offense looked more calm and confident with him under center. Also the D played like they have been expected to play from the beginning of the season. Foxxy has a decision to make...the Vin man or Carr. I say let Vinny get another start against a good team before making the final judgement. David Carr was brought in just for this scenario though and it would be hard to sit down just for some minor injury. Tough choice and I hope this doesn't get ugly.

The problem with Carr is the risk of re-injury. Anyone who's ever thrown out their back knows that it can recur at even the slightest strain. If Carr was playing under the kind of meds he described a week ago, and then wasn't able to practice as recently as 4 days ago, he's probably still dealing with some pretty serious issues. It probably wouldn't take much (being landed on by a lineman, having to twist his torso to make a pass) for it to go right out again, and then they're stuck with a cold 43-year-old coming into the game and no backup for the rest of the season.

Much as I hesitate to say this, I'd probably start Testaverde this week and continue to evaluate the risk-reward ratio of using Carr.

Honestly there is an obvious choice for who should start. David Carr. Vinny was sacked one time and he had to leave the field temporarily. David Carr has a great arm, he's young, he's durable, and he knows the play book. People talk crap about his performance, well the games he played "poorly" I can talk serious crap about colbert, smith and carter dropping the ball. I think he has a terrific arm, while he might be still getting comfortable in the pocket. Honestly I would rather put david carr against Peyton Manning on the 29th, David will be able to take the hits that will be put on him by a decent colts D-line.

Lol, forgot about that! What a fortunate piece of timing. 2 weeks should be enough rest to get Carr back into reasonable playing condition. I still don't know about the Colts game though; that team is way beyond anyone else we've played this year.

peyton is great quarterback... but, if peppers or someone else can get to him early - it would be a big plus. peyton does get a little rattled after being hit.

we are kinda in a catch 22 when it comes to blitzing - b/c our pass coverage ain't the best and without dan morgan - there is a gap.

i have heard that it's possible morgan could play in this game... i don't remember where i heard that - maybe someone can bcak me up on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

FIRE JOHN FOX. Get rid of David I hold on the ball to long Carr. I wish we would start Matt Moore. At least he looks to get the ball out of his hand within 3 seconds. Carr doesn't understand in the NFL you only have 3-4 seconds on average to make your reads and throw the ball. I would rather put up with rookie mistakes than to sit and watch a mental head case like Carr. He looked like crap. He is crap and I'm mad we spent money on him. The Houston fans tried to tell us all of us about him but we didn't listen. Now we have a QB issue that is royaly pissing Steve Smith off. Why don't we RUN the ball more. Foster averages 4 freakin yards a carry. Now I'm no math major but what does 4x3 equal...a first down thats what. We got big time problems and until the coaching staff gets held to the fire we will continue to look like a has been team. Now the Saints are breathing down our necks and we don't have a solid QB. This formula equals success. RUN, RUN, Play action pass...RUN, Play action pass, RUN. Look at the good offensive teams out there and you will see the same formula in every game. We have a great reciever, good running back tandem and an above average O-line. Whats missing is JAKE FREAKIN DELHOMME. For all of us who have cursed at you Jake please come back and play the way you were at the start of the season.

I don't put a lot of blame on the D. They were on the field the whole game. They forced 4 turnovers. Not once did we score a point off of them. JOHN FOX has to go. He had a good run but his time has come and gone and now our players are not responding to his encouraging words. Goodby John Fox helllo to Bill Cowher. Remember he lives right up the steet in Raleigh. Just food for thought.

We have no leader and no leadership. Our great players (Steve Smith, Julius Peppers) are understandably burnt out from carrying the team. The coaching staff seems to have no innovation whatsoever. Like any team or business, the buck stops at the top. I agree -- new coach.

Though Carr did a horrible job -- you said it, GET RID OF THE BALL FOOL...but the line doesn't help at all either. They don't look like they could hold off App States defensive line.

The last couple of games have been pretty painful to watch. A lot of it has to do with the quarterback, but not all of it. From a strategic point of view, you can only do so much if your basic plays are not working. Carr and Testaverde are what we expected (below-average starters) so the only way to win is if someone else really steps up their game... and that hasn't happened.

Probably the most striking difference this year is the apparent lack of heart on the field. In their best years, the Panthers were a tough, gutsy team that would pull out all the stops to win games. This year they look tired and unfocused, especially the leaders and veterans. Peppers took a stupid personal foul to kill a defensive stand, Smith is visibly frustrated and unable to play his game without some help. And as far as I can tell, none of the recent additions to the team have been important components.

The Panthers remind me of the Bengals right now -- still talented and carrying a reputation for being a tough opponent, but not all that sharp on the field. It's the kind of team you have for a couple of years before "rebuilding" begins. Fortunately we are in a weak division and might make the playoffs one or two more times, but this team is clearly not built to win a Super Bowl and I suspect it will begin to dismantle by the end of next year.

Archived