Panther Fans and the 2007/08 season

Charlotte_native

Not that it would be a huge fix, but they should resign Jamal Robertson for kick returns......

The Panthers are last in the league in kick-off returns, and 26th in punt returns, and given how inept their offense is, they need all the help in the field position game.

Robertson was the only decent return man in can recall in the last 5 years (minus Smitty returning punts).....I understand that cut him a couple of years ago because we were deep at RB, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and if they could average 5-10 more yards a possession, that's a start.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! I was just saying to some friends how I think the problem now is coaching. We have talent on this team, but they just dont seem motivated at all. The team as a whole seams completely unprepared for the games. I like John Fox, but this team needs a drill sargeant behind them, holding them accountable for every little mistake. Someone who will flip his lid, not give the little golf clap Fox does when someone does something right to rally the troops.

Not that it would be a huge fix, but they should resign Jamal Robertson for kick returns......

The Panthers are last in the league in kick-off returns, and 26th in punt returns, and given how inept their offense is, they need all the help in the field position game.

Robertson was the only decent return man in can recall in the last 5 years (minus Smitty returning punts).....I understand that cut him a couple of years ago because we were deep at RB, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and if they could average 5-10 more yards a possession, that's a start.

Actually, Rod Smart was probably the best KO return man we've had until he blew out his knee in 04'. He was he reason the Panthers cut Michael Bates (Panthers' best return man ever) in 02' or 03' (can't remember).

We can't totally blame the current return guys for lack of production in the that department. If there's no decent blocking, then you will see Nick Goings continually receive the kickoff, run to the 20, tuck his head and be prepared to get crushed. Or Robinson take a kickoff, return to the 15 to dodge a would-be tackler only barely make to 20.

Actually, Rod Smart was probably the best KO return man we've had until he blew out his knee in 04'. He was he reason the Panthers cut Michael Bates (Panthers' best return man ever) in 02' or 03' (can't remember).

We can't totally blame the current return guys for lack of production in the that department. If there's no decent blocking, then you will see Nick Goings continually receive the kickoff, run to the 20, tuck his head and be prepared to get crushed. Or Robinson take a kickoff, return to the 15 to dodge a would-be tackler only barely make to 20.

• 1 month later...

I have to say that while the Panthers have no hope of making the playoffs unless some miracle wins followed by two losses by all three teams ahead of them, they have began to re-impress me again. Matt Moore may not be the Jake of 03-05' but he's what we've got. He's young, and has a lot to look forward to if he is able to win on his first start against a team that dominated their division. Playing this well with the equivalent of a fourth string quarterback has really made me reconsider the panthers for being able to do something in 08'. In my opinion, they need to take pointers from Appalachian on how to run the ball. The holes the offensive line made in that championship game weren't even funny.

However, facing two more division champs, Dallas and Tampa Bay, will be unfortunately much harder on the defense which may have finally found its mark. Carolina's offense stands a good chance of making something happen against Dallas due to their hefty list of injuries after this last game and, given Romo's state of health (errr, his throwing thumb's,) Carolina make actually come away with a guilty win against a crippled team trying to preserve their home field advantage in the playoffs. Not to mention that Seattle beat Philadelphia who just beat Dallas. Sooo, by association, the Panthers will probably screw up the cycle.

After seeing TB dismantle Atlanta only weeks after the Panthers couldn't figure them out, I don't see that as a W unless Tampa choses not to play their first string to preserve their players' health for the playoffs.

Having Carolina salvaging 7-9 on the year is not all that bad considering what could've been. I'm not sure if we need a change in coaching staff or just a change in mentality in our coaching staff.

However, facing two more division champs, Dallas and Tampa Bay, will be unfortunately much harder on the defense which may have finally found its mark. Carolina's offense stands a good chance of making something happen against Dallas due to their hefty list of injuries after this last game and, given Romo's state of health (errr, his throwing thumb's,) Carolina make actually come away with a guilty win against a crippled team trying to preserve their home field advantage in the playoffs. Not to mention that Seattle beat Philadelphia who just beat Dallas.

Unfortunately I don't think a change of coaching would do any true good. Like any NFL team, the Panthers had a "window" of about 5 years to try and win with the current roster. We had a couple of really good runs but it never quite fell together for us. I'd say we've got 1-2 more seasons with Delhomme/Smith/Peppers as the heart of the team before we turn that ugly corner toward dismantling and starting to draft a new set of core players. Remember that Fox was REALLY good during that phase a few years back, establishing a good work ethic and identity for his young players.

I think it would be smart to take one last run at glory next season, maybe with the help of a stud free agent, and after that make a few draft-friendly trades and start over. We don't want to be one of those teams that goes 6-10 every season and never gets any better (Lions).

I think the time is now to make a coaching change although I don't see it happening. Fox, nice guy, decent coach, but he's way to slow to evolve with the game and gameplan for opponents. You can blame play-calling and scheme on the coordinators all you like, but its the head coaches job to fill those spots, and the Panthers continue to stay very vanilla on both sides of the ball. How good would the defense be if you borrowed some of Philly's blitz schemes instead of letting the front four deal with double teams all day long? Get creative out there.

The offense is unimaginative, and not just in 2007. It seems to me that Fox is so set on doing it his way, ironman 3 yards and a cloud of dust, he rarely caters to the strengths and weaknesses of his players as almost every other team does.

I think the time is now to make a coaching change although I don't see it happening. Fox, nice guy, decent coach, but he's way to slow to evolve with the game and gameplan for opponents. You can blame play-calling and scheme on the coordinators all you like, but its the head coaches job to fill those spots, and the Panthers continue to stay very vanilla on both sides of the ball. How good would the defense be if you borrowed some of Philly's blitz schemes instead of letting the front four deal with double teams all day long? Get creative out there.

The offense is unimaginative, and not just in 2007. It seems to me that Fox is so set on doing it his way, ironman 3 yards and a cloud of dust, he rarely caters to the strengths and weaknesses of his players as almost every other team does.

Firing Fox does not make sense. If Fox gets the ax (which he won't), you've got other teams who will be chomping at the bits to hire him. As everyone remembers, the Panthers were a laughingstock before Fox took over. There's really no coach out there who is on anyone's "hot" list except Bill Cower. And he won't be coaching for at least another year.

The unimaginative, stale offense can be attributed to no Jake at QB. It's not hard to figure out why Fox played even more conservative this year. Sadly, the Panthers are the only NFL team in history to start 4 different QBs in the same season, and each QB has at least won one game apiece. When you have 4 different QBs starting at one time or another, it more than likely throw your offense out of whack. As for the defense, I agree, they are vanilla and underachieving.

Firing Fox does not make sense. If Fox gets the ax (which he won't), you've got other teams who will be chomping at the bits to hire him. As everyone remembers, the Panthers were a laughingstock before Fox took over. There's really no coach out there who is on anyone's "hot" list except Bill Cower. And he won't be coaching for at least another year.

I think it's a little strange and disconcerting that Fox has been around for several years now, yet we never seem to acquire the KINDS of players necessary for his system. Where's the bruising running back? The blocking WR? The receiving TE? I know they've dabbled in trying to develop these kinds of players, but aside from Keyshawn we've never gone out and spent significant money to bring in a player who seems to "fit".

It wouldn't be surprising to see a first-year coach having trouble making his team fit his system, but after so many years you'd expect to see better adjustment and coordination between the front office and the coaching staff.

I think it's a little strange and disconcerting that Fox has been around for several years now, yet we never seem to acquire the KINDS of players necessary for his system. Where's the bruising running back? The blocking WR? The receiving TE? I know they've dabbled in trying to develop these kinds of players, but aside from Keyshawn we've never gone out and spent significant money to bring in a player who seems to "fit".

It wouldn't be surprising to see a first-year coach having trouble making his team fit his system, but after so many years you'd expect to see better adjustment and coordination between the front office and the coaching staff.

Archived