Seattle's New Library

monsoon

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I've read some about the building, and from all accounts the interior is amazing. From the renderings/photos though, it looks like a modern piece of brutalist mish mash. Brutalism like all styles can be beautiful when done right, but I don't feel this hits the mark at all.

It's an eyesore. The shape isn't even that interesting to me.

I guess I'm more of a tradionalist and like my buildings to look like buildings. Just because it can be built that way, doesn't mean it should.

I am really not a fan of super modern architecture, but this library is cool. It looks alright in relation to the surrounding buildings. But it does look boring walking along it on the street. There is no eye candy from the sidewalk, just a bunch of diamond shaped squares. The inside, however, is amazing. I would definitely enjoy studying there. As a college student who studies for all my college exams at the university libraries, I get bored of staring across a flourescent lit room with a lame drop ceiling. This library has a bunch of cool spaces, and a great view of the city from all directions. On second thought, I doubt I'd get much studying done there!

The Project for Pubic Places has said this library is a failure in terms of connecting with the rest of the city. The architects really should have done more to connect it to the street level if it is to be truely a community hub.

More information can be seen in this article

Have architecture critics forgotten how to judge public spaces?

What an absolute masterpiece. I was there today (July 20th) and its a great addition to Seattle's financial district. Pretty filled with people inside and out. The greenery on the outside is great too. I love it to the max. Another great addition to our already great downtown. :D

What an eyesore. Another monument to degenerate modernism. It looks like some kind of attempt at a chicken-wire insect gone badly wrong.

From the Project for Public Spaces:

"When the hype has died down, what will remain is another self-contained architectural object that adds little to public life around it. And this certainly shouldn't come as a shock, given that Koolhaas himself once famously proclaimed public space to be obsolete."

James Howard Kunstler's comments on this "Eyesore of the Month":

"Another monumental tech box celebrating the victory of the machine over the human spirit: the new Seattle public library by Rem Koolhaas....

The gigantic signage is necessary because otherwise library patrons might think they had mistakenly stumbled into the receiving department of a US Army ordnance installation or the basement of a commercial laundry.

Koolhaas has named this top floor salon "the living room," an interesing confusion of typology. Guess what? This is not your home. This is a place of public assembly. But guess what also? There's only enough furniture for five people to sit down. It's not a reading room (no chairs and tables). It's not a lecture room (slanted atrium ceiling can't be darkened.) What the f*ck is it?"

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The library is awesome. I am not usually a big fan of the super modern look but this building makes such a huge statement that I have to like it.

The inside is far stranger than the outside, one of the strangest buildings I've been in.

One problem is that the dirty windows can be seen clearly when the sun shines through...and I bet the thing is a beotch to clean.

A couple of pics of the library. This builiding is fantastic! Spent most of a morning here just exploring the building. I didn't understand with the building being so new, why is the main level under construction? Was it not finished on time? Are they reworking the original layout? I should have ask, but was too busy admiring the architecture.

CIMG4860.jpg

View from inside:

CIMG4861.jpg

• 2 months later...

I must agree with some earlier observations that the entrance to the library doesn't seem very accessable. It is not a street friendly building, but then the surrounding area and buildings aren't either.

The pics don't show it well, but the library sits on a very steep street. Gives it even more drama when you see it in person.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived