UAW on strike

Rybak 187

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bold move by the UAW. Pretty confident given the public has tremendous more opportunities to buy higher quality cars from other manufacturers unlike in 76 during the last strike. Ideally the strike would last long enought to cripple both sides to the point real discussions can take place that would produce LONG-TERM solutions. Ooops, there is that word again, LONG-TERM.

The UAW is only cutting their own throats by striking. Don't they realize that US auto makers are not doing well as it is and that a strike is only going to make matters worse. Secondly the automakers could very well easily set into motion to move effected jobs overseas. [Edited]

This is going to destroy almost everyone involved with the two sides. American car companies will buckle for making cars which have lousy quality and poor gas mileage and greed from the union workers and management. And yet, UAW can't seem to recognize the fact that their industry is jeapordized by more efficient, more reliable imports.

This is going to destroy almost everyone involved with the two sides. American car companies will buckle for making cars which have lousy quality and poor gas mileage and greed from the union workers and management. And yet, UAW can't seem to recognize the fact that their industry is jeapordized by more efficient, more reliable imports.

This will definitely be pretty close to the straw that breaks the camel's back. The automakers are already bleeding heavily and searching for the right solution to become profitable and to compete with the Japanese automakers. In a way, I don't feel sorry for the autoworkers. They make a lot more money than I or most other Americans yet they want more. Greed will be their downfall.

I find it unique that as soon as GM turns a profit in a year they strike. Do they think they deserve more since the company is finally doing well? The company is probably still not in the best shape financially and can't really do much more for the workers until they fix their own financial problems.

^ The contract expired at a predetermined date set several years ago, thus the timing of negotiations and the strike has nothing to due with GM making a profit for the first time in several years last quarter. The strike is also not over the UAW wanting more, rather it has to due the inability of the UAW and GM to agree on terms of how to restructure employee pay and benefit packages from what I have been reading.

The UAW has a responsibility to its members to negotiate the best deal it can with GM, while conversly GM has the responsibility of negotiating the best deal for its shareholders, thus the basis for the current impasse. As for whose right and wrong in their contract demands is rather subjective to one's opinions of what is fair for each side to willing to give and take on.

I just hope the strike is short with both GM and the UAW workforce being able negotiate an agreement in which GM gets the concessions it needs to turn around its operations while giving the workers the best possible agreement in terms of pay scales and benefits.

^ Just GM at this time, Ford and Chrysler are operating under existing labor contracts. Usually one US manufacturer in a given industry takes the lead as to what the industry standard will be in terms of labor contracts, so if there is no contract between the UAW and GM by the time the labor contracts for Ford and Chrysler expire its hard to say whether or not they will be able to negotiate new labor agreements.

The UAW is only cutting their own throats by striking. Don't they realize that US auto makers are not doing well as it is and that a strike is only going to make matters worse. Secondly the automakers could very well easily set into motion to move effected jobs overseas or to Mexico where there are workers eager to do the same job in less safe conditions for chump change and be grateful for it, vs. a UAW worker's 20-30 bucks an hour and killer health benefits.

Sometimes it's hard to embrace unionization...I for one, have a hard time with it, however living in the heart of union country and seeing how families are affected, opens the door of sensitivity to those who carry union jobs. Obviously, when the system is taken advantage of, it is appropriate to criticize union wages and benefits, but when media stories are documenting the struggle that some people go through, it puts a whole new perspective on things.

Today, there is a lot of optimism in Detroit regarding the strike past and present. There has been a "successful" checks-and-balance applied to the union system and both parties are looking forward to prosperity. Prosperity that is maybe difficult for you and me to see, but apparently, the deal that was agreed upon is poised to position GM to rightfully compete w/ its closest competitors. It was all explained on the news tonight, but all that money tinkering is over my head. :)

• 2 weeks later...

And so it continues...UAW workers at Chrysler have decided to strike.

Once again, I think the strikers are digging their own grave (theirs and that of American industry) by striking. I heard on CNN the other day that they already make something like $50+ an hour. I can only dream of making that much money.

Details are still pretty sketchy but it appears that the agreement mimicks the one with GM, dealing mostly with healthcare.

From Charlotte.com:

Among the major issues in the Chrysler talks were the retiree health care trust; the company's desire to outsource parts-trucking jobs; promises that future products will be built at U.S. factories; and parity with health care concessions that were given to Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Corp. two years ago.

And so it continues...UAW workers at Chrysler have decided to strike.

Once again, I think the strikers are digging their own grave (theirs and that of American industry) by striking. I heard on CNN the other day that they already make something like $50+ an hour. I can only dream of making that much money.

Archived