Urban Planeteers...it's time to step up!

atlrvr

My wife has challenged me tonight. She has pointed out that with the thousands of hours I have spent promoting urban issues in Charlotte, there is no proof that any of my efforts have produced a tangible result in Charlotte's urban landscape. I have argued that there have been influences that aren't tangible, but of course that has been a hard point to prove.

So, what I have been challenged to do, is to have Urban Planet make a physical impact in Charlotte.

For once, I agree with her. While the constant banter has been enlightening to some, informative to others, my desire is to make the end result something that everyone can physically appreciate.

I'm trying to gauge interest in participation in a series of fundraisers that would support a sustainable Charlotte. My intial thought would be to purchase a portion of land that could be deeded for Greenway use, with the donation name recognizing Urban Planet.

My gameplan would be to start small, within the Urban Planet community, to see the level of support (which of course includes financial) and then to expand it to the small business community, perhaps trying to involve the Gallery Crawl or some other social event. Then, the goal would be to take this to the corporate level once it has some base support.

I welcome all ideas on how to promote this mission, or other worthy causes. Even though I'm in Boston, I would be willing to spearhead any initiative, but I would hope I could get some local support.

To be added to the e-mail list for this initiative please send an e-mail to [email protected] so that we can add you to a list of those interested. Please be sure to mention this thread in your e-mail.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds like an awesome idea. At the very least we could get a group together that goes to city council and/or planning commission meetings to start. If we get a group of people on here to work towards sustainability issues, we could build from there.

Many on here have done things behind the scenes, but it would be great to do something colectively as a group in UP's name. 2 weeks ago at the Brooklyn village/2nd ward park design charet, at least 6 out of the disapointing 10 that showed up were UPers. Some great ideas came from that group that may help shape that park...

While I still live in Charlotte, I spend a good bit of time in Asheville. I've been attending meetings at the Asheville Design Center for over a year. We are on the cusp of making a very tangible difference on a project that will cost anywhere between 150 and 300 million dollars, and have a tremendous impact on the future urban development of downtown Asheville's west end for years to come.

As for this initiative, I will certainly lend my support however I can. I think the transition from the e-world, blog world, forum world (whatever you want to call it) to the real world can be very powerful. There is certainly a critical mass in here, and probably even more out there that aren't plugged in. I would suggest broadeding the tent a bit within the real world before a fundraising campaign is started. I think that the anonymity that is provided here may cause some to back away form real world stuff. Anyway... just food for thought.

i'm game... i think it's a great idea. we've been behind the scenes for a while now - it's time we started taking it to the street.

in the past i've wondered how UP could become more pro-active and really the best i could think of was: what if UP (locally) gave out awards to people and projects that we deemed worthy. we could discuss and vote and hopefully raise awareness to certain issues that are often brought up here.

it's an ok idea but this one that atlrvr has proposed has a more concrete effect - i am all for it.

^ That's a great idea Cinco. I think UP has made an important but intangible difference so far. We know that local developers and officials read this board in authenticated and lurking mode. It's always much easier of course to stay behind the keyboard and pontificate :whistling: ( who me?) I would like to make a more tangible statement as well. A lot can be accomplished online but a brainstorming meeting would help. Of course that means coordinating everyone's hectic schedules but I am sure we could come up with a fairly reasonable date and time for most of us.

I'm going to get clarification from Neo on UP's legal status, and if need be, a separate non-profit corporation can be formed to help get things moving....any lawyers on here, this is your time to shine ;)

I'm looking at a soft roll-out of iniatives. I think Cinco's idea of awards are great, in that it legitimizes the organization to the public and helps raise awareness of the group.

As far as everyone getting face-time, I'm thinking a group Habitat for Humanity project one Saturday would serve as a "mixer" while having a worthwhile impact on the built environment.

I'd also like to set a few high-profile goals, with this thread as a sounding board for those goals and ways to accomplish them.

I think there is a time to hid behind the computer and a time to face the light. I urge ALL Urban Planeteers to demand change! With the education, the knowledge, the experience and the will, Urban Planet can make a call-out to Charlotte that is PROFOUND! There are some talented people represented here and it's time to turn the chat to change.

It's time to throw politics aside. It's time to throw your identity aside. Come out and challenge Charlottte. Listen to ATLRVR.......there is wisdom in action. There is wisdom in walking into a park sponsored and developed and owned by the Urban Planet to show the people who DO NOT KNOW that it's ok to be rid of the evil killing our PLANET and show that WE all can live beautifully without destroying the land, the architecture, the animals, the people. There are too many smart people here to fail ATLRVR. Let's join.......Let's join.

I'll help the best I can! I won't be in Charlotte that often this year as I'm in school, but I want to contribute. Unfortunately it would be hard for me to contribute financially as I have no cash flow, but I was thinking that in order to make this a reality maybe we can get donations from corporations that have eco and urban friendly mindsets. Some that come to mind: American Planning Association, REI, organic grocery stores, maybe some local developers, etc. That would share the financial burden and get local businesses involved.

I'm in for all I can do. Although money is going to be my most difficult of contributions, I would be willing to help in any way. There is many things that all of us can do together on this site in addition to what was originially posted. We have a wide-variety of talents, backgrounds, and attributes, there is no doubt in my mind that we can all team up make Urban Planet a vital part of Charlotte, aside from what is done here on the boards. Super ideas! Time to expand Urban Planet, Charlotte chapter out to the physical world!

Archived