Urban Planeteers...it's time to step up!

atlrvr

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright everyone, where are you?! Of the 25 or so people that indicated they were interested within this very thread, I have only received PM's with an e-mail address from about 9 or so. Neo has put together a great domain listing for us, so feel free to either PM me with an e-mail address or send an e-mail to [email protected]. We need to get things rolling, but our first step needs to be communication!

I hope everyone who has expressed interest is still planning to be involved. The next step will be organizing a face to face meet and greet and setting of goals and agendas. I'm finalizing my travel plans to Charlotte, but it will likely be the first week of Novemeber.

As far as people who are interested, please email your contact info to.

[email protected]

This will get you registered for all meetings, but they will also be posted on here.

This thread should get pinned though.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.....I have my travel plans set....I'll be in Charlotte the nights of Nov 15-16, thats a Thursday and Friday night. I would prefer setting up the get together for Thursday, but I'll leave it up to popular opinion.

Also, does anyone have a preference of a place to meet? I'm thinking somewhere Uptown is the most central. Since we are trying to establish a "mission statement", quieter is probably better.

I'll send out an email to everyone who has signed up for the mailing list, but for anyone who hasn't signed up, or wants to RSVP, the address again is:

[email protected]

I think Thursday would be a better bet. Many will have plans for a friday night already (like myself).

Location will depend on how many are planning to come. I dont know how many have sent in their emails, but maybe a roll call will help on here.

I dont know what path this will take, but even if its as small as getting people involved in public meetings, its a great oportunity to bring the issues discussed on UP to the next level.

Count me in next week!

Mo

Ok.....I have my travel plans set....I'll be in Charlotte the nights of Nov 15-16, thats a Thursday and Friday night. I would prefer setting up the get together for Thursday, but I'll leave it up to popular opinion.

Also, does anyone have a preference of a place to meet? I'm thinking somewhere Uptown is the most central. Since we are trying to establish a "mission statement", quieter is probably better.

I'll send out an email to everyone who has signed up for the mailing list, but for anyone who hasn't signed up, or wants to RSVP, the address again is:

[email protected]

I haven't sent it yet....sorry...I was trying to get an idea of when and where before I sent out an official response.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Presto Grill next Thursday from 6:00-8:00, but I'm wanting at least 12 positives before I set it as a definite. I'll send out an email this evening or tomorrow to all that have registered.

I had an idea on what to combine our powers on. I was at Philosopher Stone the other weekend and we were talking about how the place was going to be turned into condos. Actually the whole block has plans on being turned into condos. P Stone, La Tea Da's and Jacks will all be demolished in a year or so. P Stone doesn

Ok....I just sent out the invitations to those on the mailing list.

For those of you who have not signed up for the mailing list, but want to come anyway, the meeting is.

Thursday, Nov. 15th at 6pm at Presto Grill at the corner of W. Trade and Graham St.

If I haven't got 12 responses by Tuesday, I'll cancel, as I want to make sure there is enough people to make the official kick-off worth the while.

For those of you who have not signed up for the mailing list, but want to come anyway, the meeting is.

Thursday, Nov. 15th at 6pm at Presto Grill at the corner of W. Trade and Graham St.

If I haven't got 12 responses by Tuesday, I'll cancel, as I want to make sure there is enough people to make the official kick-off worth the while.

This definitely sounds interesting. I do have some questions though about this endeavor.

1) Is this only for Charlotte? The reason I ask is when you go to Urbanplanet.org it shows other Countries/States/Cities. I'm just trying to figure out how the identity of Urban Planet ties in to our initiative. Will this confuse Non-UPer's?

2) Mentioned where some ideas of tackling Charlotte Sustainability, but some others have expressed lobbying park redevelopments. Does that mean this initiative will have a some what broad range of goals?

3) As far as raising money, What outlets will we use? Resources? Having local artist donate works of art for auctioning, band benefit concerts, corporate/local sponsorships? Charity bike/ marathons, or other sporting events to raise money/awareness. Merchandise?

4) Will this be inclusive to UP'ers or will anybody be able to join the cause?

Thanks for the interest.

1. This group will be piggybacking off the Urban Planet name to use it's established brand (Neo has given his blessing). If the group incorporates, it will be a separate legal entitity than Urban Planet the forum. The group will be specific to Charlotte, though hopefully it proves successful and is copied in other cities. I believe that Providence, RI has a group loosely affiliated with UP that has a fairly sizable membership.

2. There is no set "agenda" at this point, though the hope would that it would tackle a broad range of projects that fall within the general parameters of what is advocated here on this forum. The objectives will probably be singular to begin, so that our efforts will be more focused/successful, with the hope that as the organization grows, the scope of projects grow.

3. Yes :)

4. It will be open to anyone. Obviously the hope is that if someone cares enough to show up and participate, then they would be interested in the forum, but we would certainly be inclusionary to all. Events will be announced in this thread, as well as general dialogue, but all meetings will also be sent out via email.

I'd love to come but I'm up here in Chapel Hill and have school/work. I will be back in Charlotte over Christmas break, so, for about 3 weeks, although I'll be in Nashville for a couple of days right after Christmas.

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could fill those in who aren't going to be able to make it.

Archived