Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

revitalize

Charlotte Google Map

29 posts in this topic

I love looking at the aerial map of Charlotte, and often find cool or odd things captured by the eye in the sky. I was thinking others may have found things too that they could share with UP.

You can use the new "Insert:Google Map" feature added to UP

I'll start it off with this:

On the roof of the United Way building in Uptown... a little Panthers love!

This is a corn maze in Huntersville (I figured it was ok since it is still Mecklenburg County):

My wife and I went to this particular maze last year with some friends and had a lot of fun!

*Waits for the day until Windows Live Local Birds' Eye* comes to Charlotte*

...Chapel Hill recently got it.

On the roof of the Lowe's at Whitehall near I-485 & S. Tryon Street.

Planes coming in for a landing from the south fly right over this area.

This is a corn maze in Huntersville (I figured it was ok since it is still Mecklenburg County):

My wife and I went to this particular maze last year with some friends and had a lot of fun!

This isn't really a Google Map item (not yet at least), but the Whitewater Park shows up in the aerial photos on POLARIS. Google Map does not even show the park under construction, so it is several years old.

Check on parcel number 05310199 on POLARIS and turn on the 2007 aerials.

POLARIS

^ Yeah, late 2005/early 2006 seems to be the date for most things around CLT in Google maps, I attempted to contact them and ask about an update, but they apparently do not offer phone support yet. Perhaps just for the maps department...

Google is using the 2005 aerials. I hope they get the 2007's up there soon. Polaris is not quite as user friendly as google :)

The corn maze (the Maize Maze) is closed, but they open up every year.

Windows Live Maps has newer arials. Pity they're fuzzy.

Here is the Whitewater Center under construction.

If you want to see the readouts of all the internet connected personal weather stations in the area imposed over a google map of Charlotte you can click here. It's interesting to see the micro variations in temps as compared to the average.

This isn't really a Google Map item (not yet at least), but the Whitewater Park shows up in the aerial photos on POLARIS. Google Map does not even show the park under construction, so it is several years old.

Check on parcel number 05310199 on POLARIS and turn on the 2007 aerials.

POLARIS

A butterfly found at the recently rebuilt Sedgefield Park. Interesting note: this park project also included a stream restoration, seen just above the butterfly.

OK, anyone know what this is? It's behind Briarwood Park near where Eastway Drive and Park Road come together. Looks to be an old track or something...

It's owned by Mecklenburg County so my guess is that it used to be a park or a school.

Windows Live Maps has newer arials. Pity they're fuzzy.

Here is the Whitewater Center under construction.

^ Yeah, you're right, I had looked at 210 and as it has not changed much assumed the photo's were recent. In zooming more you can clearly see that concrete has not yet been poured for BoA yet, and Wach is only built up in it's initial south "corner". :blush:

Indeed, a half-mile harness racing track, on the land of the old Herrin Family stables.

Link to Park and Rec announcement

Oh, and as long as I'm posting, the Windows Live aerials of uptown appear to be around June, by comparing construction of Wachovia and Novare to my photo archives.

I heard that Google has recently updated the Raleigh arial photos so maybe it's moving towards us next. Apparently they were taken from the end of summerish, but are being posted now, for various obvious reasons for the delay.

An article in the Observer the other day mentioned that you could see the dirt showing at Lake James where the water has dried as well so perhaps it's a north to south movement.

Hm, this may be a little bit off topic, but for those of you who are using the Windows Live Search Map, can you see 3D models of downtown Charlotte's buildings? I don't know if it is normal or not, but while I can see 3D models of many cities (including some really really less big and important as Charlotte), downtown Charlotte is nothing more than a nice sattelite pic on my computer. :huh: I find kinda hard to believe they didn't work on 3D models for that city...

^It's especially interesting given that Microsoft's largest East cost operation is located in Charlotte. I believe it to be the largest development location outside of Seattle. On the other hand, I don't use MS's web products such as search and maps because they never work right with FireFox. (Urbanplanet's recommended browser)