New License Plates?

M. Brown

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best Michigan plate was the Superior Blue one we just got rid of. It was the most distinguished of the 50 states in my opinion. Like I always use to say, when on a long car trip out of state, 1) it was always so refreshing to cross the state line on the way home and all of the plates turned blue and 2) when out of state, seeing a blue plate, you instantly knew where it was from. Now, like the government itself, we're stuck with crap. :)

I still can't figure out why they wasted money (that the state obviously couldn't afford) forcing everyone to get the new plates. Why couldn't they just phase out the blue plates, using the new designs for newly issued plates but allowing the blue plates to stay in circulation for a while?

I like the old blue plates much better, too. They really were instantly recognizable. Now, every state and their momma has these silly illustrated plates that all look the same from a distance. The Michigan plate really doesn't look all that different than Indiana's, for instance, from a distance. I find the these illustrated plates silly, because you're rarely ever close enough behind a car to distinguish the illustrations, anyway.

Delvrin, the excuse was that the blue plates had already been allowed to stay on long enough. The state had been trying to voluntarily ween citizens off the plates for years before they came up with the plan to get rid of them mandatorily, by offering the other Great Lakes Slendor plate. Their exuse is that the blue plates weren't reflective, but I always wondered why they simply couldn't use blue reflective paint.

I simply got the standard one when I renewed my plate; the silver-white with the blue stripe. I'm completely protesting the new Slendor plate. lol

^Agreed, but do you mean "Splendor" plate?

The replacement plate could have been a better standardization regardless of me being a crybaby that the blue one is gone forever. Like anyone's going to log on to Michigan.gov. Good grief!! How unoriginal, Terry Lyn LAND! And that ugly blue stripe across the tops of all the plates now is very annoying.

Like LMich, my strategy would have been to simply make the old blue one easier to read with better and more current fonts. The slogan "GREAT LAKES" said it all with less. It was perfect. Then again, so was Michigan before it decided it no longer wanted to be open.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the new white plates, the new green/blue/black plate is OK, thats what I got but its VERY similar to Tennesse and MIssissippi.

The blue plates were definately the best, the most recognizable after Iowa, and conn. got rid of theirs in the late 90s? But now Indiana has some similar looking blue one

The white ones are sooo plane they look fake on some cars. they also look very similar to ONtarios if you have a plate frame around the top. They should have at least put a little blue MI symbol in the middle.

I don;t like it when theres too many plates in a state (MI), or when states bordering each other have very similar looking plates (MI), or when they change too often (IN). I to be able to spot out different plates and know where they are from on the road. So we should have just kept the blue ones or went back to the black ones with white letters or the 76 ones

• 2 weeks later...

Archived