Downtown Anderson

interestedexpat

Downtown Anderson has really progressed in recent years. There are some highprofile developments like the Chiquola, Calhoun and Belks site stuff. But there are also smaller victories like the many new restaurants, small condo projects, etc.... Perhaps this thread can provide a home for more general news about downtown that don't warrant their own thread, but would benefit from not being a general "Anderson Update".

An editorial in today's AIM by Nick Charalambous is a great opening summary of what's going on and the momentum that downtown has right now.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article mentioned two major possibilities to add downtown--a baseball stadium on the east side, and a perfomring arts center on the west side.

The baseball stadium would be for the Anderson Joes, who will seek a newer location closer to down, replacing Anderson Memorial Stadium on the deep south side.

Murray Avenue seems to be developing itself into an arts corridor, so it could be a good fit for a performing arts center.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a weird one. Apparently Combat Sports has bought an old grocery store in downtown Anderson (Dexter's on W. Whitner) and will be building a 'war games' warehouse. I don't know too much about these places. The article says it's like paintball. I wouldn't have seen this coming in a million years.

The building in in the historic district, so the exterior will be kept similar to it is today, but the interior will be changed to accomodate the war games. Apparently it is stiring a lot of interest in the region from enthusiasts.

Article in AIM here.

I'm not sure this is the direction I had in mind for downtown entertainment. On the other hand, perhaps I should just get over it and welcome it as I would any other legal downtown investment. I'm curious if others have any thoughts about the appropriateness of such an establishment in the downtown historic district.

Expat...... I share your thoughts.... Excitement that a new business is coming to downtown, however, I have to question if it "fits" with the direction downtown is or should be going. Sadly, I don't see this location working out very well for the business and within a year a vacancy sign will be placed in its' window.....

Here's a weird one. Apparently Combat Sports has bought an old grocery store in downtown Anderson (Dexter's on W. Whitner) and will be building a 'war games' warehouse. I don't know too much about these places. The article says it's like paintball. I wouldn't have seen this coming in a million years.

The building in in the historic district, so the exterior will be kept similar to it is today, but the interior will be changed to accomodate the war games. Apparently it is stiring a lot of interest in the region from enthusiasts.

Article in AIM here.

I'm not sure this is the direction I had in mind for downtown entertainment. On the other hand, perhaps I should just get over it and welcome it as I would any other legal downtown investment. I'm curious if others have any thoughts about the appropriateness of such an establishment in the downtown historic district.

I think this is one fo those things we're going to see more and more of... not wargames in vacant big boxes... but unconventional uses for them. Having large expanses of indoor space lends itself well to recreation though.

• 1 month later...

Couple of pieces of news out of downtown.

Dr. Jack Frasor who is planning to redevelop the old Anderson Hardware site is trying to sell two adjacent buildings that he also owns. At least there is activity.

And Matty's opens downtown this week. Another great place to eat in downtown Anderson. Read AIM Acticle here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

British Pub wins approval of the Architectural Review Board. Story Here.

This is for the former Hampson Furniture story on S Main. That's great news. The article mentions opening up the second floor and patio seating on the first floor! :)

The article also references more restaurants coming, a dress shop and a chocolate shop. Downtown Anderson is actually doing very well, despite the regional economic slowdown.

• 4 weeks later...

Arlene Young was named Anderson Downtown's Director of Development yesterday.

AIM Article is here.

She has worked with the City of Clemson and is currently with the Appalachian Council of Governments. The only weird thing to me about it is that she lives in Townville. It's great to get someone local, but wouldn't you want your "downtown champion" to actually live downtown? :dontknow:

• 1 month later...

In an interview in yesterday's Anderson Independent, Tom Dunnaway mentioned that he's hoping to make two new announcements soon about two downtown properties getting new uses with total investments over 5 million dollars. I'm very curious what could possibly be on the agenda.

The comment was made in an article talking about how all the City Council candidates see downtown as a key piece of Anderson's future. It was great to see the passion. It was a little scary to see what some of them thought a good idea looked like. :huh:

Downtown Anderson continues to develope into a nice small city downtown. I hope the city will stay after it despite the current economic climate.

• 1 month later...

Sullivan's, a mainstay of the downtown restaurant scene, just announced expansion plans. They will move into the building next door and expand the bar with room for performances. Sounds like a good thing. If you've never been - Sullivan's is a good place to start in Downtown with great food and atmosphere. 200 block of S Main.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a great summary of a recent Downtown Committee of the city meeting.

Note: the first post is really the only one of interest. The remainder is largely local political bickering. I would suggest skipping it and just reading the opening post summary.

Highlights

... the streetscape project is continuing.

... Former Stine Gallery is being converted into a cigar bar and a jazz club.

... Former Hampton Furniture is being converted into another Irish Pub.

... Parking Deck is making good progress.

... Another parking deck is in the works.

... A downtown walking trail is in the works.

All good news. :thumbsup:

Here is a great summary of a recent Downtown Committee of the city meeting.

Note: the first post is really the only one of interest. The remainder is largely local political bickering. I would suggest skipping it and just reading the opening post summary.

Highlights

... the streetscape project is continuing.

... Former Stine Gallery is being converted into a cigar bar and a jazz club.

... Former Hampton Furniture is being converted into another Irish Pub.

... Parking Deck is making good progress.

... Another parking deck is in the works.

... A downtown walking trail is in the works.

All good news. :thumbsup:

I like the sound of these! It is nice to see the incredible progress of this small city's downtown after growing up dreading to even be there in person. It was full of drugs and crime in those days. It couldn't have been any more dead, yet today it is quite alive in comparison to those days. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

There was an article in AIM a few days ago about the railroad spur that used to (still does) run UNDER downtown Anderson. It as garnered some interest as of late and one of the buildings that used to load from underneath has just been purchased. An old grocery store I think. Today it is a trophy seller.

I think the purchaser is the same guy responsible for the Chiqoula redevelopment. He is charmed by the defunct railroad underneath his building and mentioned his desire to utilize it somehow, perhaps an underground restaurant that incorporates it. Sounds like a good place for a pub.

This sort of creativity and interest is good to see in downtown Anderson.

• 3 months later...

Archived