Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChiefJoJo

Could Duke & Progress Energy merge?

6 posts in this topic

This article says it could. It doesn't seem likely in the short term, but it would likely create one of the largest--if not the largest--public utility in the nation.

^Doubtful this would get through regulators-this would be the first step for monopolization of energy utilities in the US.

Could this be compared to the TVA? They monopolize several states. I realize they are a government agency.

I don't think I'm in favor of consolidating energy companies, it would put a monopoly on our area and probably increase rates!

Just to play the devil's advocate, the article says the opposite. That prices would likely decrease due to the consolidation. They would gain supplies, technology, resources, capacity/generation, etc. and thus be able to lower prices.

^They obviously are not going to say this merger will increase rates (its called corporate speak)-see the banking industry where consolidation has resulted in the addtion of exorbinant fee increases, decreased access to services, etc. (just the opposite of what they claimed). Would you favor a consolidation of pharmaceutical companies or oil companies?-consolidation leads to reduced market competition which in turn results in higher prices and decreased quality of services (most of the time).