Another company leading Nashville for Wilco

bwithers1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I live in the Wilco, I would prefer that the companies stay in Nashville because in order for us to have a successful metropolitan area, it needs to be anchored by a vibrant and thriving inner-city. If we have all the businesses leave Nashville, that leaves us without a core and soul of this area and we'll have a struggling inner-city with all its associated problems with prosperous suburbs....and honestly I don't think that's feasable. And really...do we need ANOTHER healthcare company?? hah

:huh: You're smoking crack right?

And you're statement about HQ's not being in the central cities of America's major cities is hardly the truth. Take a look and you would see it's about a 50-50 thing while the larger cities see more in the core than the smaller ones.

And your statements about the two cores is laughable and very elementary at best. You need to educate yourself on city design and city structure/planning then come back here and contribute. Until then, I can't honestly take you serious. :)

Ha! You have very little knowledge about city design - if any. The idea that you would be in a position to know anything about city design is what's laughable. Regarding HQ's, look at the South, you'll see the ratio of corp HQ's being outside the core climb well above 50%. I wasn't talking about HQ's in chicago or NY. Where did you get that 50-50 number anyway? :)

The fact that you come on here at a site called "URBAN PLANET" and try to defend suburbs is what's laughable. You have got to be atleast 13 years old and still in school. Sorry, but there isn't a suburb in this country worth defending on a site that promotes urban growth and reinvestment in the central city. No place, no how. LOL!

I have no significant problems with Wilco pride. However, economic success of a region is very much tied with the continuing success of its core. It becomes counterproductive for suburbs to thrive at the expense of the core city. Wilco nor Rutherford could support an economically depressed Nashville and ultimately this would hurt growth in Middle Tennessee as a whole. I see no benefit for anyone in this MSA to undercut anyone else in the same MSA. Thats when Nissan moves to Big Sky Country.

^ Great post! You're right on the money. Though it's nice for the entire metro to experience growth, we need to make sure we create a cooperative approach instead of a competitive effort for the greater good of the entire metro. I can attest to just how bad the "competitive" approach has left Detroit having just moved back to Nashville from that metro. Wilco is thankfully a very long way off from becoming like Troy, Royal Oak, or Southfield.

I am certain that you would not want the Nashville area to become like St. Louis, where seemingly everything is in Clayton, or worse yet, like the Detroit Metro area. So many metro areas in the Midwest, based on my experience, are in decline altogether because the main industries closed while those businesses and individuals with any money moved to the suburbs, only to find that eventually the entire area suffered and failed to attract significant new business investment to support the overall area with basic needs, let alone perks.

Nashville has never had a strong industrial or corporate headquarter presence that is in danger of leaving for the suburbs. So downtown Detroit, it will never be.

Nashville itself has strong, permanent economic anchors like Vanderbilt (one of the State's largest employers ), State government and the music industry who aren't movng anywhere. And it looks like HCA will stay around a while. So with 28 (Pinnacle) and 25 story (WES) office buildings under construction, a 22 story (Eakins) and a 12 story office (Roundabout) planned to start within a year and a just comlpeted 14 story office downtown (Sun Trust), it looks like corporate growth and professional services are thriving in the downtown/mid-town area.

Nashville has never had a strong industrial or corporate headquarter presence that is in danger of leaving for the suburbs. So downtown Detroit, it will never be.

Nashville itself has strong, permanent economic anchors like Vanderbilt (one of the State's largest employers ), State government and the music industry who aren't movng anywhere. And it looks like HCA will stay around a while. So with 28 (Pinnacle) and 25 story (WES) office buildings under construction, a 22 story (Eakins) and a 12 story office (Roundabout) planned to start within a year and a just comlpeted 14 story office downtown (Sun Trust), it looks like corporate growth and professional services are thriving in the downtown/mid-town area.

In dribs and drabs, Franklin continues to eat Nashville's lunch. It will be interesting to see if the new mayor has any plan to make Metro Davidson County more attractive to existing and new businesses.

Southeast Credit Union... From next week's NBJ (subscription required):

"Southeast will relocate its headquarters from downtown Nashville to Royal Oaks in Franklin. Its headquarters on James Robertson Parkway will remain open as a branch."

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori...ory10.html?ana=

Archived