Anyone taken the GMAT?

GRDadof3

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the practice GMAT last summer. It's supposed to be very similar to the actual test. It wasn't too bad. It's three sections - in the first you write two essays of the persuasive nature. The second section is math and science reasoning and the third was mostly reading comprehension. I borrowed a study guide from a friend, and it was helpful, but only to give me an idea of the type of questions that would be asked...not necessarily to prepare for the exact information they'd be asking for.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I've taken it. It's more like the SAT/ACT than a licensing exam. As mentioned, three parts, one math, one is reading comprehension/grammar (which sentence has the right punctuation of the four below?) and some essays. The actual score is out of 800, and the essay part is a seperate score (out of 6?) that I don't think has that much weight.

I compare it to the SAT because of the style, but my scores were pretty much dead on (proportionately) with what I got on the SAT back in the day.

I have taken both the GRE (general graduate school admission) and GMAT (MBA, other business school degrees).

The GMAT has more general math on it but is not bad. All the math is high school math (basic mathematics, Algebra and Geometry...nothing above that.)

Even though the GMAT is used for Business School admissions, there is really nothing business about it...just very general stuff.

The average GMAT score at GVSU for 2006 was 564...minimum is above 500 I believe.

A 800 score is the highest one can get.

If you want to get into Harvard Business School you'll need at least a 705.

I found that an intense study over a 3-6 week period is the best. If GMAT study is dragged over months it gets very, very boring an you lose focus.

GMAT = Graduate Management Admission Test

GRE = Graduate Record Exam

No, not an accountant now, but I agree with you that I think accounting skills are very desirable, and an area where I am lacking. Everyone I've met who owns their own business has stressed the importance of having a pretty good handle on financing/accounting (even if you have a good CFO).

An accounting degree will get just as much respect (maybe more) as an MBA. Also, I'm pretty sure that the curriculum involves other business classes as well. I began GVSU going for finance alone, but figured out that I could do a second major in accounting without adding additional credit hours. Boy am I glad I did it. It was tough, but the info is very valuable. Accountants are in very high demand right now--especially in the audit field. The whole Enron/Cybernet thing created a ton of opportunities as Sarbanes-Oxley was put into effect. Even if you don't work for a big accounting firm, knowledge of accounting will help you run a business with fewer headaches, and will help you analyze your performance and potential ventures.

Just an FYI the real estate licensing exam is not a cake-walk . . . .plenty of people don't pass on the first try . . . .I studied my butt off - the one week licensing course is the equivalent to a college semester's worth of information . . .hint - - get a good instructor to cut to the chase of the material! The test was brutal and I was not even sure if I passed until I got my results saying I did . . .whew . . .

Just an FYI the real estate licensing exam is not a cake-walk . . . .plenty of people don't pass on the first try . . . .I studied my butt off - the one week licensing course is the equivalent to a college semester's worth of information . . .hint - - get a good instructor to cut to the chase of the material! The test was brutal and I was not even sure if I passed until I got my results saying I did . . .whew . . .

Archived