CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Elements

cbc1908

Thought I would go ahead and start a thread for The Elements - a 19-unit condominium and townhome development slated for a parcel of land on Mohawk Drive near the North Main Neighborhood.

There will be two condo buildings with 12 units that are all 2 bed/1 bath at 1,050 SF.

The two town home buildings will have 7 units - 2-3 bedrooms/ 2.5 baths from 1,210 - 1,371 SF with 1- and 2-car garages.

A lot of really cool features are planned - including over a quarter mile of walking trails on the property, a community recycling area, a butterfly garden and 19 10x10 community gardens that owners will be able to use to plant little vegetable or herb gardens. The community gardens will be watered by a cistern that collects rainwater from one of the condo buildings.

Other earth-friendly features will include the use of porous concrete in parking areas; cork, bamboo and recycled carpet flooring options, and a wood pellet grill in the community grilling area.

The neighborhood will also be linked to the proposed Richland Greenway bike trail - making it easy to commute by bike or foot. Very exciting!

Pre-construction prices currently range from $169,995 - $250,000. Should start clearing the site in the next couple of weeks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant that the buildings are not closer to the street. They I just checked the location, and its not Mohawk where I thought it was, so perhaps its not an issue. I like to see developments such as this also encourage alternate transportation use.

Cbc1908 - do you (or anyone else) have a features list for The Elements? I am very interested in this development and am wondered to what level of energy efficient will the appliances and heating/cooling system be? Will there be water saving features in the toilets, showers, dishwasher, etc. I am surprised to see the fireplaces in the townhouses; this is usually a big source of heat loss unless properly enclosed. In any case, I am very exciting to see this kind of development taking place in Greenville. I believe it will be very well received.

Cbc1908 - do you (or anyone else) have a features list for The Elements? I am very interested in this development and am wondered to what level of energy efficient will the appliances and heating/cooling system be? Will there be water saving features in the toilets, showers, dishwasher, etc. I am surprised to see the fireplaces in the townhouses; this is usually a big source of heat loss unless properly enclosed. In any case, I am very exciting to see this kind of development taking place in Greenville. I believe it will be very well received.

Either could be depending on the design. You can now get a very high efficient wood stove or insert that uses air from the exterior for combustion, has sealing doors to prevent loss of interior heat and can burn wood or wood pellets made from scrap wood and wood by products.

Wood burning fireplaces with chimney's are a very inefficient way to heat a home. It uses the heated air that is already in your home for the combustion, then dumps most of its heat outside through the chimney.

The same thing happens with gas logs installed in a chimney under a fireplace.

There are however some configurations that vent the exhaust gas (the bad stuff) away, and keep most of the heat in the house, and this style is indeed an good way to heat a room.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived