USS New York

RiverwoodCLT

USS New York

cid_410-220079427132252228113071999.jpg

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center .

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists . It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite , LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up." "It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? "Never Forget"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is perfect metaphor for salvation. We take the metal from two great pieces of history (not to mention architecture) and turn it into another. If it makes someone feel passion so great that the hair stands up on their back, then that itself is beautiful, if not poetic.

If Charlotte was smart, it would take some of the beauty that remains, muliply it, and reconstruct places that make the hair stand up on our backs.

Blow up the vinyl sprawl and create a sweet playpin for our animals to play in........my dog will need a place to run when I get back, and buying 2 acres is not an option.

:good:

Umm....of course it's a representative photo. The photo is the naval release photo of that particular class of ship, in this case the USS San Antonio which was the first boat launched. The only difference I'm aware of is the number painted on the bow of the ship....isn't this somewhat trivial in the greater scheme of things?

^Would not the other difference be in the bow of the ship? The USS NY has a 21 on the side.

It appears the Navy has decided to wrap itself further around the 9-11 tragedy for publicity reasons as this won't be the only ship of this class named after a 9-11 location. The military consumes huge amounts of the USA's resources and what better way to help with the justification to pull a stunt such as this which attempts to tug at the emotional scars of Americans.

^ Sure...the boat was named after a memorial site....doesn't the Navy typically memorialize people or places? For example, the USS Cole, that was bombed by Al Qaida, was named after Darrell Cole, a hero of the Battle of Iwo Jima, who was posthumously awarded the medal of honor....in fact most ships in that class are named after war heros.

I don't see how this is "marketing" any more than memorializing which is the standard naming protocal. Unless the majority of the families of the victims are anti-US Military, who are we to decide if we think this is poor way to commemorate them.

Hmm. Not really. New York isn't a war hero and the Cole was named as such when the emotional aspects were long gone. I take note there has never been a USS Pearl Harbor. Or for that matter USS Saigon, or USS Iraq (where more Americans have died)

I will note however the last two aircraft carriers were named after GOP Presidents. Both of which, whose policies, armed and led to the rise of Al Queda and it's subsequent and eventual bombing on 9/11in the first place. Now there is real irony.

^ Actually there is a USS Saigon that has been deployed to Iraq during this latest war....as far as building on emotion, the US built another USS Maine immediately after the original was sunk in Cuba, which led to the Spanish War....the ship was seen as a rallying cry for pride in the nation, and it was the largest battleship built at the time. The ship began construction a year to the day after the sinking of the original Maine....it seems that building on emotions has been a constant through history, we just have different opinions if that's right or not.

There are many ships that are named after servicemen that were killed in action or battles from the past. The USS Iwo Jima, San Jacinto, Bataan, etc., etc. etc. I thought there was a USS Saigon as well, but I can't find any mention of it on Yahoo, Google, or the US Naval Register (see below).

An interesting site to check out is the Naval Vessel Register, which has the official inventory of US Naval ships and surface craft.

I felt sure it was an amphibian assualt craft, but I can find no record, so perhaps I am wrong. I did check and find there is in fact a USS Pearl Harbor, for what that's worth.

At this point, the debate has become an inductive fallacy. To continue it, I could argue, since the USS New York has been launched, there has not been any successful terrorist attacks on US soil.

Since I don't wish to continue with this back and forth, I'll say that I'm happy with the way the steel was used, and I find it appropriate (since we are going to continue to build ships regardless of particular wars or terrorist actions) to recycle a portion this way. I think using steel as part of a memorial is appropriate too, and hope they are using some steel in the new WTC tower currently under construction.

Done :)

Possibly for what you have been posting, but it has nothing to do with what I originally said. I posted my opinion on the matter and got a number of posts, including ones mainly from you, that attempted to dispute that opinion by doing what you just said, creating an inductive fallacy.

I do find it particularly sad that many American's, especially the younger generations, think it is fine to remember the dead through an instrument of war. As I said earlier it is a bad metaphor of our times since it's only purpose for existence of this ship is to kill more people.

Note that I didn't say anything about the need for a military nor anything about the marines. The marines you mention BTW, are not named the 9-11 marine unit. But the fact the USA spends more on military resources, than all other countries on the planet combined is fairly disturbing.

^^It's kind of funny that when somebody questions the actions of this country, that person is considered not patriotic. I think the most dangerous thing that an American can do when it comes to this country is not asking questions and taking things at face value.

Archived