M-6 Non-Motorized Trail

Raildudes dad

The Road Commission survey crew started today staking the new trail for construction. Phase 1 will be from Kent Trails easterly on the north side of M6 to Clyde Park and southerly to 68th Street on the west side of Clyde Park. Grading will be done this fall. Paving will be next spring. Phase 2 from Division to the Paul Henry Trail at Wing Ave is currently under design by URS with construction tentatively scheduled for next summer. Once Phase 2 design is complete, design of the missing piece will begin. Depending on how that design goes, construction of Phase 3 could begin next summer but most likely will be Sumer of 2009 and include a bridge over Division Ave.

Interesting side note, I'm a civil engineer managing the trail project for the Road Commission. My daughter is a civil engineer for URS doing the design work for the project. It's pretty neat working on a unique project (trail inside the MDOT limited access right of way) with my daughter :thumbsup:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is encouraging - but it underscores the need for visionary planning for things other than motor vehicles. I can't speak for other townships, but I know we here in Plainfield are working feverishly on a township-wide "non-motorized-connectivity" (trails/sidewalks) master plan. I've been beating the drum for a few years now that we should connect anything, everything and everyone to the White Pine Trail somehow (since it dissects our township almost perfectly from SW to NE). Our aspirations include connections to Ada, Cannon and Algoma Townships as well as trails westward and southward. I hope this notion finds some sort of fruition 20 years from now...

BTW, I personally think every single development plan in almost any municipality should include some sort of consideration of non-vehicular movement - as well as a separate plan for how it would accommodate mass transit either now or in the future. This would be as valuable as a landscaping, lighting or grading plan.

BTW, I personally think every single development plan in almost any municipality should include some sort of consideration of non-vehicular movement - as well as a separate plan for how it would accommodate mass transit either now or in the future. This would be as valuable as a landscaping, lighting or grading plan.

How about revisiting the idea to connect the Kent Trails from where the trail hits 76th Street . .take it down 76th street about 2 miles to connect with the lonely little section of "Kent Trails" that is part of the trail that goes from 76th street through woods down to Douglas Walker Park on 84th Street. For those of us who want to hit the kent trails, riding your bike down 76th street is playing Russian roulette with your life . .no margin for error on the road!!!!!

How about revisiting the idea to connect the Kent Trails from where the trail hits 76th Street . .take it down 76th street about 2 miles to connect with the lonely little section of "Kent Trails" that is part of the trail that goes from 76th street through woods down to Douglas Walker Park on 84th Street. For those of us who want to hit the kent trails, riding your bike down 76th street is playing Russian roulette with your life . .no margin for error on the road!!!!!

Archived