Illegal Immigrant loses $59k to government

MadVlad

So, according to this story, this guy is an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, worked washing dishes (illegally) for $5.50 and $5.75 an hour, and saved all the money he could for years. He saved $59,000, decided to return to Guatemala with it, and got caught by customs with the money in a bag. They arrested him thinking he was an illegal alien and drug money currier, and confiscated his dough. Now he's lost his immigration case, and has until January to voluntarily leave the country. They still have not given his money back, the IRS has gotten involved because he never paid taxes, people have donated money to him in a fund (which the IRS wants to tax as well), and he turned down a prosecutors deal of $19,000 to make it go away.

Now, I'm not sure what law allows them to keep his $59,000, maybe it's the one page form he failed to fill out gives them access to it. But, whatever reason, this is a raw deal. I'm very against any type of illegal immigration, so he should rightfully be deported, and the IRS should get access to their fair share, but really, keeping the whole $59,000 is a tough pill to swallow. I really do feel for this guy....

CNN story

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He says he isn't a criminal yet he entered the country illegally and worked for years and didn't pay any taxes. I've been paying taxes for 30 years including when I was making $1.25/hour at Mcdonalds in the late 1970s. I don't have much sympathy for him.

What I want to know is where did he work where the employer did not withhold any taxes and social security for him. This is who they should also be going after.

• 2 weeks later...

I think deducting whatever his particular tax bracket value is, for example 20%, from his $59,000, and deducting the cost of deportation (a plane ticket) and returning the rest to him is perfectly fair. It would also be very difficult to argue against in a court, the press or diplomatically.

Archived