Memphis Development: Four high rises under construction and more coming...

okcboy

Check out this link: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Downtown...ist-t25197.html . Looks like your neighbors to the west are finally getting it together.

I love to watch cities from a distance and have been wondering how Memphis has let Nashville get so far ahead in big scale development. They have more fortune 500 companies and more land. Looks like they have been sitting back and watching you guys and biding their time and making plans. Cause they also have the following interstates coming to town now: 22, going from Memphis to Atlanta, 555, the biginning of a corridor going from Memphis to Kansis City, 69, connecting Mexico to Canada via Memphis, and an outer loop 669 that will cover Tipton, Fayette, and Shelby counties in Tennessee, sweep down into Mississippi and go to Tunica, go into arkansas and go around West Memphis then go back across the Mississippi and reconnect in Tipton County.

Tunica development is also going crazy. BTW, when you think of Memphis development it also includes all of North Mississippi. Check out the new Toyota Plant going up in Tupelo and all of the massive projects going on in Tunica.

I'm just an outside opinion here, but have always heard Nashvillians speak derogatory toward Memphis, I really can't figure out why when I do my research...I'm a developer and Memphis has always been a more attractive spot.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out this link: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Downtown...ist-t25197.html . Looks like your neighbors to the west are finally getting it together.

I love to watch cities from a distance and have been wondering how Memphis has let Nashville get so far ahead in big scale development. They have more fortune 500 companies and more land. Looks like they have been sitting back and watching you guys and biding their time and making plans. Cause they also have the following interstates coming to town now: 22, going from Memphis to Atlanta, 555, the biginning of a corridor going from Memphis to Kansis City, 69, connecting Mexico to Canada via Memphis, and an outer loop 669 that will cover Tipton, Fayette, and Shelby counties in Tennessee, sweep down into Mississippi and go to Tunica, go into arkansas and go around West Memphis then go back across the Mississippi and reconnect in Tipton County.

Tunica development is also going crazy. BTW, when you think of Memphis development it also includes all of North Mississippi. Check out the new Toyota Plant going up in Tupelo and all of the massive projects going on in Tunica.

I'm just an outside opinion here, but have always heard Nashvillians speak derogatory toward Memphis, I really can't figure out why when I do my research...I'm a developer and Memphis has always been a more attractive spot.

Don't know much about Memphis, but I've heard that part of the problem has been its leadership, or lack of. Also, IMO Nashville merged its city/county governments at a fortuitous time in the early '60s, when it was able to control better the development and other so-called urban flight issues. I'm sure some would argue that it spread out the ring further and created more sprawl, but I think it did stem what would otherwise have been a flood of people out of the city limits during the late 60s and 70s, as occurred in most southeastern cities. Besides, I've been to Memphis enough times to know that it has enormous sprawl eastward. I've even flown over it from Atlanta, and I couldn't get over how much that area looks like office/residential suburbs of Dallas.

This thread is so clearly flame. I suggest it be ignored or, better yet, moved or taken down completely as it isn't really relevant to Nashville development. Most of us read the Memphis forum and know well enough about the progress there. We're excited for what's going on there just as we are about our own city. Throwing mud back and forth between Nashville and Memphis posters isn't necessary here. OP, you can compare the cities' development in the Tennessee forum if that is your goal.

This thread is so clearly flame. I suggest it be ignored or, better yet, moved or taken down completely as it isn't really relevant to Nashville development. Most of us read the Memphis forum and know well enough about the progress there. We're excited for what's going on there just as we are about our own city. Throwing mud back and forth between Nashville and Memphis posters isn't necessary here. OP, you can compare the cities' development in the Tennessee forum if that is your goal.

I started this post not to start trouble, but to show, as an outsider, one person's view point. I used to live in Nashville for 8 years. Lived in Memphis for three. Lived in Dallas for one. Now live in OK City.

First and foremost, no TN City will ever be first class. Anything that goes up in TN has already gone up in other cities 50 years ago. I'm just pointinig out that as an outsider I like Memphis more. I believe Memphis gets the short end of the stick when it comes to legislature. I was in Nashville when the TN government would not help Memphis build a stadium when the NFL all but said that's all they needed to get a team. I was then living in Memphis when Phil Bredesen, who is from Nashville, helped Nashville build a stadium not just for the NFL but for the NHL as well.

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Tennessee. Don't challenge me. Just letting you guys know that even though no TN City will ever be first class like say a Seattle...Memphis is the best Tennessee has to offer.

By the way, I'll name off hand the fortune 500 companies in Memphis, FedEx, Autozone, Int'l Paper... there are atleast two more that have announced they are moving to Memphis.

By the way, I love Saturns...

I love Brentwood...

I love Opy Mills...

So I'm not a trouble maker. Just a stater of facts.

I started this post not to start trouble, but to show, as an outsider, one person's view point. I used to live in Nashville for 8 years. Lived in Memphis for three. Lived in Dallas for one. Now live in OK City.

First and foremost, no TN City will ever be first class. Anything that goes up in TN has already gone up in other cities 50 years ago. I'm just pointinig out that as an outsider I like Memphis more. I believe Memphis gets the short end of the stick when it comes to legislature. I was in Nashville when the TN government would not help Memphis build a stadium when the NFL all but said that's all they needed to get a team. I was then living in Memphis when Phil Bredesen, who is from Nashville, helped Nashville build a stadium not just for the NFL but for the NHL as well.

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Tennessee. Don't challenge me. Just letting you guys know that even though no TN City will ever be first class like say a Seattle...Memphis is the best Tennessee has to offer.

By the way, I'll name off hand the fortune 500 companies in Memphis, FedEx, Autozone, Int'l Paper... there are atleast two more that have announced they are moving to Memphis.

By the way, I love Saturns...

I love Brentwood...

I love Opy Mills...

So I'm not a trouble maker. Just a stater of facts.

I remember reading an article back when the last NFL expansion was underway (b/n Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Memphis). Everyone had handicapped Charlotte first, then Memphis, then Jacksonville. They said that the numbers and market draw were quite favorable for Memphis. Alas, the problem was with the prospective team owners/management. According to the article, their presentation to the NFL expansion committee was absolutely ludicrous. I remember one "unnamed source" saying, "Who the hell wants a team in the NFL called 'Hounddogs'? Especially when the name, Kings, was a no-brainer. I mean what other city can find three reasons to be called the same thing: First there's homage to Martin Luther King, then there were the ancient Egyptian kings who presided from Memphis, and finally, the King of Rock and Roll called Memphis his home. Duh!" (IMO, that summed it all up.) I still remember that 13-14 years later.

The State's contribution to building the Titan's stadium came in the form of allowing the City to use future State sales tax revenue to pay off the debt. So technically there was no money out of pocket from the tax payers. That's how I recall it. It was a minor, but important part of the financing package. One of the largest sources of funding was from PSL's (personal seat licenses). Mayor Bredesen cut a brilliant deal t make this al happen. I never thought we could do something of that scope without a tax increase.

When Memphis made it's bid, PSL's had not been used before. In fact during the NFL expansion competition, the City of Charlotte basically invented the PSL concept to raise money. Memphis, if they did approach the state at the time, would have had to ask for much money straight out of the budget to pay for a new stadium, possibly requiring a tax increase. The route Memphis proposed, to acquire an expansion team, was to renovate the Liberty Bowl. And the Liberty Bowl is nowhere close to NFL standards.

I remember reading an article back when the last NFL expansion was underway (b/n Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Memphis). Everyone had handicapped Charlotte first, then Memphis, then Jacksonville. They said that the numbers and market draw were quite favorable for Memphis. Alas, the problem was with the prospective team owners/management. According to the article, their presentation to the NFL expansion committee was absolutely ludicrous. I remember one "unnamed source" saying, "Who the hell wants a team in the NFL called 'Hounddogs'? Especially when the name, Kings, was a no-brainer. I mean what other city can find three reasons to be called the same thing: First there's homage to Martin Luther King, then there were the ancient Egyptian kings who presided from Memphis, and finally, the King of Rock and Roll called Memphis his home. Duh!" (IMO, that summed it all up.) I still remember that 13-14 years later.

Archived