More corruption under Perez

beerbeer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please consider casting your vote for I. Charles Mathews. He is a fiscally conservative Democrat who is our only chance at getting rid of Perez right now and by far the most qualified candidate. He got a respectable 30% of the Democratic primary vote, compared to Eddie's 48% with Feltman and Barrows splitting the remaining 20 or so percent, and it would have been even closer had Barrows and Feltman not muddied the waters. He carried all North End districts with the exception of Rawson, which he lost to Perez by 3 votes! McCaulley has no shot in hell and most Hartford Republicans are not even supporting him. After seeing him in action, I think he should stick to his public access show. He has not real ideas and comes across as plain weird IMHO. I am an ardent Mathews supporter and just ask that you consider him.

The bottom line is most Democratic primary voters voted against Eddie, 52% to 48%. They just did not all vote for the same guy. We need to make that happen if we really want a new direction for Hartford's government.

I'm not sure where he stands on that issue. I'm not even sure where I stand completely. I do think that it has forced better schools to be created, which I am thankful for. I do know that Mathews favors beefing up vocational education in the city and making sure that if kids are not going to go onto college that they at least gain or begin to gain a marketable skill while in high school.

Channel 3 interviewed the candidates on Face the State and while I didn't watch all of them, I saw some.

Mathews was the most impressive, followed by Feltman, but none of the candidates seemed to have any vision. McCauley didn't have an answer to a question about downtown development, and didn't seem very informed. Perez seemed clueless about losing thousands of jobs, and Gonzalez was so embarrassing I had to turn off the TV. I think Mathews is the one to beat.

Ok, since you are here,let's do a little Q and A:

1) How would you reverse the flight of large corporations that has occured under Eddie Perez's reign of terror?

2) How do you feel about a new arena and trying to lure another NHL team?

3) What would be your plan for creating a better and safer living environment for the citizens, and visitors, of Hartford.

4) How would you correct Hartford's poor performance in schoolastic testing results?

J. Stan McCauley,

I am not a resident so cannot vote, but I will commend you for being open to direct conversation. A man after my own heart I would say.

The only comment I would have for you is to remember and even daily remind yourself of a few things if you indeed win the election.

Hartford is only a small city if you belive it is. This comment stems from a conversation I had with the guy in charge of luring jobs to the area(he is spine less). If you think Hartford cannot compete with NY or Boston, than it never will. It is very often that large corporations are looking for new operations locations, or places to locate North American HQ. If you do not go after the jobs they will not come here. I would suggest making a coalition of office land lords with signifigant available space and try and figure out a way that you can work together to offer some sweetheart deals to prospective relocators. Use tax breaks, rent subsidization, anything you can do to lure these companies here. If the jobs are brought here the whole of Greater Hartford will benefit.

a sub comment would be that if you streamline residential development downtown, you will reap more rewards, and even have more success luring these companies. Including affordable housing in downtown development has no place in Hartford at this time. Give the green light to anyone willing to put capitol into downtown. This city needs 4 or 5 years of development before it can afford to be picky. a critical mass is needed.

Damn I am wordy

anyhoo

Cheers, and good luck

1) How would you reverse the flight of large corporations that has occurred under Eddie Perez's reign of terror?

First and foremost I will immediately convene a 2 day summit with the Major Corporations in the city and include the small businesses and Metro Hartford Alliance. This summit is not intended to be a venting session but a substantive evaluation of the serious problems rather real or perceived and what would be the best way to resolve them. The Administration must work with and not impose its will on business, if Hartford is going to be a place where business not only wants to stay but more importantly an city the Business wants to relocate to.

2) How do you feel about a new arena and trying to lure another NHL team?

Is this good for Hartford as a whole? Does the entire city will that a new arena be build? Get me a team and I'll get you an arena. I am not a fan of spending tax payer dollars on an arena that should be funded by private investment. That being said this is an offline conversation.

3) What would be your plan for creating a better and safer living environment for the citizens, and visitors, of Hartford.

This is another offline conversation because it involves a level of discussion that is to lengthy for this forum and also the "Fix" is a sensitive subject not for general public consumption.

4) How would you correct Hartford's poor performance in scholastic testing results?

There needs to be a fundamental change in the learning culture not only in Hartford but in Urban America. In this city I intend to change how the student or "Client" values their time and education. This is a hands on interactive approach that in "My never to humble opinion" is essential to the success of Hartford and the region.

I'm very old school as they say when it come to communication, I would much rather use the phone. I hope that this gives you some insight to my thinking but if you want more we have to talk by phone- 944.9797.

Thanks for interest

J. Stan McCauley

A new arena for a city, is like a new home entertainment system for your family. It's not more important than sending your kids to school or a security system. In fact, it is almost impossible to justify except as a quality of life issue.

But I bet you have a nice TV and stereo at home. Because quality of life issues are important to living a full well rounded existence.

So, ABSOLUTELY YES, taxpayer money should be used to build an arena. It is the taxpayer's lives that will be enriched. And a smart politician would not only understand this, but also figure a way to do it without busting the budget.

2) I'm not seeing the offline conversation thing. I also don't think that because the whole city may not want something that it makes that thing a white elephant. Look at the stats, the arena has gone beyond it's usefulness. A new arena will do wonders for the city, including bringing in events, people, and money. If you don't want to use taxpayers money, then don't, work with people and figure out a better way. You are thinking very small on this subject, because this affects not only the city, but the region (congratulations, Hartford is the hub of the region).

Regarding the Arena, are we all forgetting that as Beerbeer points out the structure is just sitting and waiting for all systems to become obsolete in few years? The buildng will fail in the not-so-distant future. Like it or not. If Harford and this part of CT want an Arena for the long term, then we need to invest in building one that will last and serve it's purpose for decades as the HCC has. It's done it's job. Time for a new one.

Regarding the Arena, are we all forgetting that as Beerbeer points out the structure is just sitting and waiting for all systems to become obsolete in few years? The buildng will fail in the not-so-distant future. Like it or not. If Harford and this part of CT want an Arena for the long term, then we need to invest in building one that will last and serve it's purpose for decades as the HCC has. It's done it's job. Time for a new one.

Archived